Server time (UTC): 2019-11-11, 20:58
Sign in to follow this  
RavenStormV

Server Cap and Car Drive-ability

Posted (edited)

Today i bring up the topic of the Server Cap and the Drive-ability of cars. As we all know when the server was full when the server cap was at 100 everyone had problems with "Flying To The Moon" well i am here today to say ever since the update to 90 players, the drive-ability of cars has deteriorated to the same "Flying To The Moon" glitch that keeps on happening when the server is full. It is my understanding that any player cap at or higher than 86+ cars begin to get harder to drive than before. This server is very active and i understand that the new queue cap effects the amount of people who may be online, However, although changing the player cap can somewhat fix that, other problems arise. Such as "Flying to The Moon"

I believe it would be beneficial to everyone on the server rather than to those on the queue to lower the cap and make cars drive-able once again. Cars are universal tools that aid every single player who can get one on the server. If these cars are unable to be used properly in the way they were meant to be then they become an irrelevant and useless tool. For example, moving bases or traveling across map for a firefight. These two things can be considered big moments in RP because it is changing a location or creating a new instance in RP that people may enjoy. If people have to wait to get there because there is a 45+ minute walk rather than a 15 minute drive it removes the joy you would have had moments ago. Not only does it ruin some of the Role Playing aspect, losing cars, but also gear you may have been carrying while in a car may be lost. I understand gear is something you can get back, however, if you are in a rush and trying to get somewhere, for example Moving, then it hinders you and whatever you could have had done 30 minutes ago at your destination is now delayed and you must do your best to find another way to get there or wait when server pop is below a certain number. I would like to also share another clip from twitch that includes "Flying To the Moon," it is my understanding that many people may not want the server cap lowered so i suggest creating a poll for this discussion. I know many people who want the server cap to be at most 85 so cars can be somewhat drive-able. Thank you for taking the time to read this, i hope this may help make cars drive-able again, however, it is in the community's hands now.

I recommend lowering it to at most 80, or at the least 70.

Edited by RavenStormV
Add recommendation to player cap.

Good luck. Roland won't lower the cap to the recommended 60 players. Cars and stability be damned.

6 minutes ago, RavenStormV said:

I am not recommending 60, i would say bringing it back to around 85 or even 80 would be good.

Cars aren't stable at 80 players either, you'll have to go lower than 80 

7 minutes ago, RavenStormV said:

I am not recommending 60, i would say bringing it back to around 85 or even 80 would be good.

Cars aren't stable past 60. You can't have both high server cap and stability of other game mechanics. People are just going to have to realize that this game isn't optimized for that sort of work load. The game / servers simply can not handle the strain.

I say 80 is the safe bet and it should stay. I understand that queue times can be very annoying but for the people in the game, its really needed and it's not just cars people have been lagging everywhere and for PVP situations that could be very frustrating. The car situation was not that bad TBH when the cap was 80 I did trips from Cherno to Devils castle like 10 times last week with not a lot of lag but it was still there. It really sucks when I have to tell my group we have to wait 7 hours till the server is not full to move. Again I would just recommend that the limit be put to 80 there will still be "Flying to the Moon" moments but it won't happen if you're careful. 

I've driven on full servers, its difficult but not impossible. If you are careful and stick to long straight roads with minimal turning along with maintaining a reasonable speed of like 30-60 mph you are usually ok. When in doubt, first gear it out.

As the passenger in the car on that first clip I have to say the NASA space program is not for me. I agree with @TheMaxRP I think 80 would be perfect as he said he made a ton of trips back and forth from devil's castle to Cherno one trip I was with him. Sure if your very very careful you can make it in a car right now but it's still very difficult. Also the lag on the server has been quite a bit more noticeable with just running or shooting or whatever it may be your doing. It has been nice not having a massive queue though I will say that. All in all I think it should be lowered a little bit to see what happens.

Given the recent extreme pushback from the community about the queues, queue cap, and player limit of 80, I don't think you are going to find much appeal in going to a smaller server size.

It's also a matter of how DayZRP wishes to present itself to the world. Would you rather have a server where people warps around, stuttering all over the place, and cars are deathtraps? All of this while there are available servers where nothing of this happens because they respect or at least keep nearer to the recommended limits set by the developers?

To tell you the truth, any action that happens within the server looks bad, stuttery and glitchy. Just check any stream while the server is at full capacity. A lower cap, and I mean around 80-70 players max, would do wonders. Much more than the ping limit ever did, I can assure you that.

15 minutes ago, Misho said:

Don't worry fellas, BI is currently testing a 150 player cap server. ^^

With those numbers I can imagine even pedestrians take off upon collision with any world objects...

3 minutes ago, MatthewFC said:

It's also a matter of how DayZRP wishes to present itself to the world. Would you rather have a server where people warps around, stuttering all over the place, and cars are deathtraps? All of this while there are available servers where nothing of this happens because they respect or at least keep nearer to the recommended limits set by the developers?

To tell you the truth, any action that happens within the server looks bad, stuttery and glitchy. Just check any stream while the server is at full capacity. A lower cap, and I mean around 80-70 players max, would do wonders. Much more than the ping limit ever did, I can assure you that.

With those numbers I can imagine even pedestrians take off upon collision with any world objects...

The flip side of this argument is would you rather a server that is a barren wasteland because there are half as many people on it? 

Personally I have only once EVER got into a car in DayZ... See below. They don't mean much to me, I walk everywhere.

As you can see, my experience with cars was unfortunate. I was playing a character that was recently blinded, and under heavy surgery and a doctors orders not to walk... so... I was carried to a car, loaded into it, then summarily executed by the DayZ Pantheon.

Even so, I'd prefer a higher server cap with more people and more chance of encounters then a lower server cap so that cars work better.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Rover said:

The flip side of this argument is would you rather a server that is a barren wasteland because there are half as many people on it? 

Personally I have only once EVER got into a car in DayZ... See below. They don't mean much to me, I walk everywhere.

As you can see, my experience with cars was unfortunate. I was playing a character that was recently blinded, and under heavy surgery and a doctors orders not to walk... so... I was carried to a car, loaded into it, then summarily executed by the DayZ Pantheon.

Even so, I'd prefer a higher server cap with more people and more chance of encounters then a lower server cap so that cars work better.

But it's not only cars. Characters tend to stutter and warp more and more when the server is above 80 players. And not occasionally, but all the time. As a RPer that doesn't PVP that much, it looks bad and affects the presentation of the game, the interactions within, and the quality of any material that may be derived from it. I can only imagine what the stance of a more hostile player is on players warping around and not seeing enemies getting out of cover for that vital half a second where they kill you.

I just don't see how 10 to 15 less players would make the servers "a barren wasteland".

Edited by MatthewFC

The cars weren't TOO bad at 80 players, anything about that makes them useless to be honest. 60 would probably be the sweet spot but we would need a third server should we drop that low. In my opinion I think we should drop the player cap back down to 80 for sure!

Cars are just unpredictable. Myself and @Netherist suddenly died yesterday when we were literally in first gear going about 3 mph. No jump to the moon or barrel roll, just randomly dead. Then shortly afterward @SquirtleKitty drove across the map by herself while the server was full and was totally fine.

I won't be getting in any cars again any time soon rofl

21 minutes ago, MatthewFC said:

But it's not only cars. Characters tend to stutter and warp more and more when the server is above 80 players. And not occasionally, but all the time. As a RPer that doesn't PVP that much, it looks bad and affects the presentation of the game, the interactions within, and the quality of any material that may be derived from it. I can only imagine what the stance of a more hostile player is on players warping around and not seeing enemies getting out of cover for that vital half a second where they kill you.

I just don't see how 10 to 15 less players would make the servers "a barren wasteland".

To be honest, I rarely see any issues with other players around me, even when the server was full and 100 pop. Cars obviously were a giant problem, but I don't recall many stuttering issues. Occasionally the infected would kind of zoomie around, but I didn't see it so much with players.

That being said, I don't PVP so don't experience those issues.

As for a barren wasteland, the server pop used to be 100. It was recently chopped down to 80 and a queue was implemented which led to some... unhappiness. 

People above were advocating to drop the server as low as 60 people. Compared to when it used to be 100, losing 40% of the players on at any given time would certainly make it less populated. Just about half as much. I may have been a bit hyperbolic with the barren wasteland comment, but given how players congregate towards settlements already it will exacerbate the problem.

especially now that it’s encouraged to swap to server 2 instead of que sitting with the cap it should go back down to 80

Ye 80 is a good cap

I don't mind the Cap as it is, If we drop back to 80 people will go back to complaing about the low cap, there no winning here. Cars will still be janky at 80 anything higher than 65 at most causes car physics to just quit life. Honestly, if u have an issue with car physics complain to BI to make decent working physics XD

80 Sounds good, sick of driving at 10 km/h only to fly off and disintegrate like the Columbia.

Dude the fucking lag is crazy. Please bring it down to 80 there was no problems with it

Example of Lag

Do what the game devs recommend, idk why this is even a topic of discussion. Stop breaking the game.

7 hours ago, Castiel said:

Cars are just unpredictable. Myself and @Netherist suddenly died yesterday when we were literally in first gear going about 3 mph. No jump to the moon or barrel roll, just randomly dead. Then shortly afterward @SquirtleKitty drove across the map by herself while the server was full and was totally fine.

I won't be getting in any cars again any time soon rofl

I'll have you know that's cause of my EXCELLENT driving skills. 

I was scared shit-less the entire time. Please help, even though it's an adventure every time you get in a car.