Server time (UTC): 2019-07-21, 13:53
Sign in to follow this  
andysuter

some roleplaying help/ advice needed

Im hoping the experienced community can help me here. Sorry if this is the wrong section

In short, im struggling to find a character that suits me and how I like to play. I seem to trying complete extremes and its not working.

• 1st character was a simple one – a tourist /civilian and knew nothing of the outbreak until he got beached. – Problem with this one was that in an effort to avioid meta gaming I ended up playing him like some lost schoolboy rather than a guy who was on a trip for his 40th Birthday.
  • 2nd character I thought id try a bit more soul so created a guy the underworld would hire to find people that owed them money. Thought I had this one nailed, a smart black suit, avators and a courier bag with a pistol in chest holster. It was a great idea n my head. The problem is im rubbish at Roleplaying someone that really doesn’t a fuck about anyone if they don’t have a purpose/benefit to him. His attire also meant I had virtually zero room to even carry the basics to survive if I wasn’t with a group. Then the question was how does a guy whose so selfish actually fit into a group. I probably bit off more than I could chew with this guy.

Im now  thinking of playing an ex british army Chaplin and go around spreading the word of god. – Problem I see straight away – im not that religious so would struggle with talking bible…

Im struggling. I want a character that can justify being self sufficient, yet is also interesting in a group but also someone that is someone you would recognise if you saw them again.

Just play ya self, my dude.

Easiest way to get into a character is to make one that is a lot like yourself. That way you can manage things like, "I totally would have a huge backpack to store stuff in" or "Well, damn I don't know anything about medicalRP so I better find someone who does." Etc.

Just mix up or change up the backstory to make sense for the lore, and set forth. You don't HAVE to play some complex or over arching character with all these super detailed and hard to keep track of traits that feel more like a tally board than a RP character to you. 

I mean it really comes down to you and what you would like to play. I mean look at a TV show you like or something else and ask yourself 'could I play that'

It all comes down to inspiration and when it hits you. I've gone with a generic survivor, a military guy etc. but just recently I decided to go with something different taking inspiration from Jack the Ripper but changing it up to cannibalism. Making it fit to the server without just looking for people to PK or eat randomly. 

As I said maybe go for something different and give it a go. Or send in an app for a group and build a character around that group.

Here is some helpful advice from someone thats been RP'ing in various mediums for close to two decades.

On a game like this, people do a lot of surface RP. They meet people, scrape up on the basics, then move on. It takes a while or a special situation for someone to really get beyond the skin of your character and start digging down into the meat of it. So, have a good polished story for why you are here!

We are almost two years into a zombie apocalypse, so it is getting harder and harder to come up with an easy reason for being in Chernarus. How many times have you heard the below?

- "My plane crashed."

- "I got lost."

- "I washed up off a boat."

A lot of people will roll their eyes if they hear the above, or the usual 'I'm here with the US Navy Seals" kinda line, so it is a good idea to come up with something firm. It doesn't need to be unique to you, just something that you can roll with. 

It can be very hard to play a character if you aren't nuanced in what the character is talking about; I played a religious fanatic on another game for close to 7 years, and I learned more about both Christianity and then many other religions for that character... More then I learned in bible school, that is for sure. If you yourself don't know a lot about the bible or religion in general, you'll need to do some deep diving research into it.

For example, someone is going to ask if you are Protestant or Catholic. Do you know what that means? What the difference is? You might want to learn that, so when someone asks you questions that your character knows, you have an answer... Alternatively, if you aren't that versed in it, the other alternative is to just find an IC reason you don't talk about, or don't entertain people asking you questions. Brush them off with religious rhetoric, 'THE LORD KNOWS, AND THATS ALL THAT MATTERS' or whatever have you to get past it. 

But ignoring those specific things above, the below are what I also recommend for a character.

- Three quirks anyone will know

- Three secrets no one will know.

- A common phrase/line/etc that you use when introducing yourself. It can be anything, just something to help you get stuck in peoples head. Example 'The name is Bond. James Bond.' 

The quirks anyone will know are just things to help give your character a little life beyond the basic blank character. Maybe he is deathly afraid of chickens, and doesn't tolerate being around them. Maybe he never eats potatoes. Anything that someone could theoretically experience just from being around you.

As for the three secrets, these are things no one should ever know unless you decide to let them know and share. Something like you killed your ex-wife, or you were the Mr. Badtouch Priest, or anything that your character would WANT to keep secret. These don't /ever/ need to come to light either, but its things you have in the back of your head that helps you to decide how and why your character behaves or acts as he does.

A game you can do for yourself is imagine RP-scenarios you've experienced on your two characters already, and figure out how your new character would respond/react to them. 

Thanks for the replies guys, really helpful.

I think I just need more practise as ive fallen straight into the typical ‘rolleyes’ traps of greeting people with ‘hey, what are you doing here’ and replying with ‘yeah im just scouting around looking for stuff’. Ive washed up on shore etc etc yawn, yawn….I know the vast majority of people ive met have similar introductions but it must be incredibly boring for those good RP’ers that I meet and im in awe of some of the better RP’ers ive met. They really do talk and act like a character and I apologise if I never offered that interaction back.

The problem with playing myself is that im probably really boring in an apocalypse.  Id probably stay by a cabin the woods/middle of nowhere, chop wood and farm chickens. That would get boring really quickly. I certainly wouldn’t wander the streets looking for other people on the off chance they may be a friendly group and not going to eat me or capture me.

So I then turn to what I think would be an interesting character to play and that’s where I start to fall down and not long after ending up slipping out of character and into a generic type player in military camo and carrying a big gun.

My advice is to know your character, run through certain scenarios in your mind and wonder how they'd react. Think about what they know, do they know how to use a SCAR or an SVD or would they mostly be comfortable with a shotgun or a mosin or something easier to handle? Would they only wield a pistol because it's easier to conceal? Maybe he always has a knife in his boot, ready. Maybe he hates the rain, and can't stand being in it, so carries a raincoat or has to get inside. Maybe he's terrified of infected (that'd be interesting cause no one really reacts to them that way anymore). Something that makes your character stand out. @Rover said it best here:

24 minutes ago, Rover said:

The quirks anyone will know are just things to help give your character a little life beyond the basic blank character. Maybe he is deathly afraid of chickens, and doesn't tolerate being around them. Maybe he never eats potatoes. Anything that someone could theoretically experience just from being around you.

26 minutes ago, andysuter said:

2nd character I thought id try a bit more soul so created a guy the underworld would hire to find people that owed them money. Thought I had this one nailed, a smart black suit, avators and a courier bag with a pistol in chest holster. It was a great idea n my head. The problem is im rubbish at Roleplaying someone that really doesn’t a fuck about anyone if they don’t have a purpose/benefit to him. His attire also meant I had virtually zero room to even carry the basics to survive if I wasn’t with a group. Then the question was how does a guy whose so selfish actually fit into a group. I probably bit off more than I could chew with this guy.

I like the sound of this guy tbh.

You wanted to play someone who doesn't give a fuck about anyone but themselves? Awesome, I'm an expert.
Someone like that might attempt to befriend others to use them to their advantage, be nice to gain information, or just to create an ally for future use if needed. Maybe its the way that they speak to people, perhaps overly nice, overly friendly to the point where it becomes a little uncomfortable for others. Maybe he's that gruff 'I don't care but secretly I do, here, have an apple you look starving' kinda guy, maybe he's just 'Oh my god if I give you this food will you shut the fuck up'
You can be nice to someone and still be an asshole on the inside, and still have that malicious intent.
You can be nice to people and still be a ruthless killer/asshole. It can work. It makes you human, it gives your character depth. You can be cold and uncaring and still have valuable interactions with other players.
Maybe you have a select few people you are close to that you care about, but anyone else you are suspicious of and question relentlessly before you trust them.

My character Fae is an absolute dick, just a literal asshole. But people love her, probably because her 'I don't give a fuck' attitude comes with her being a little bit cheeky and silly. She makes stupid comments about shit, she is nonchalant about people's wellbeing, waving as they're taken hostage with a little "sucks to be you!" 
People still love her as a character (for some reason) even if IC they might dislike her. I've had so many people tell me that Fae is hilarious and just downright scary at times.

For example,
When I hung around Eden and was part of that group, it was painfully obvious Fae hated being there, she was a little bit of an ass, made little comments about the place and its people, though she did help keep it afloat by building walls, cutting trees and finding nails etc.
She stayed around because it benefited her personally. It gave her a place to live, somewhere there was always food and ammunition in abundance. She had allies that would defend her, and yet it was still obvious that she hated being there and it created some really interesting RP interactions. 

My point is you can still have a hardass, not giving a fuck character, and still have relationships with other characters and still have some really good RP experiences. 

I went on a rant idk if any of this is helpful or makes sense at all 😂

8 minutes ago, andysuter said:

Thanks for the replies guys, really helpful.

I think I just need more practise as ive fallen straight into the typical ‘rolleyes’ traps of greeting people with ‘hey, what are you doing here’ and replying with ‘yeah im just scouting around looking for stuff’. Ive washed up on shore etc etc yawn, yawn….I know the vast majority of people ive met have similar introductions but it must be incredibly boring for those good RP’ers that I meet and im in awe of some of the better RP’ers ive met. They really do talk and act like a character and I apologise if I never offered that interaction back.

The problem with playing myself is that im probably really boring in an apocalypse.  Id probably stay by a cabin the woods/middle of nowhere, chop wood and farm chickens. That would get boring really quickly. I certainly wouldn’t wander the streets looking for other people on the off chance they may be a friendly group and not going to eat me or capture me.

So I then turn to what I think would be an interesting character to play and that’s where I start to fall down and not long after ending up slipping out of character and into a generic type player in military camo and carrying a big gun.

There is nothing wrong with a boring character. I've actually made it my goal to play what I like to call 'background' characters. My characters are around essentially as vessels for other people to tell their story and progress through. Some people play characters that take up all the oxygen in the room at the best of times, and other groups have a tendency to steal the limelight. (Not in bad ways, just in the sense that the little people or solo-RP'rs get drowned out). 

Play off that if it makes you happy, and be an observer. Listen, remember, and fill in the blanks for late-comers later. I can't remember the number of times people were seeking out one of  my now deceased characters because he had a lot of dirt on others just from quietly listening around conversations.

As for generic military types carrying a big gun; I don't personally get this beef. We are almost two years into a zombie apocalypse. You better believe I'm going to be carrying the biggest gun I can find! If we were still 'fresh' near the beginning of the outbreak I'd understand, but at this point its slowly getting harder and harder to believe the person that 'has never shot a gun before'. (Sort of shooting myself in the foot there, as my old character was one of those that had never used a gun before)

Thanks Genji,

I think you’ve inspired me to stick with my half English/half Italian bounty hunter type character. I do like keeping out of sight and watching people moving around camps, listening to their ic chatter as they talk about whose cooking the food next etc (while absolutely killing myself laughing off the mic) and then just walking up and asking for X person who ive just heard being referred to which freaks the shit out of them. I may find a way to make that work for me, maybe something like im here as theres been a hit placed on their head but if they want to pay me off, I’ll walk away and say the jobs done.

… actually, im thinking I quite like this guy now…. I knew I just needed the advice of all you pro’s!!

My first advice would be do NOT play yourself, because I think a certain distance to your own character is necessary to rp him out.
Many times I read the advice "think about what you would do in a scenario like DayZ." - Well, truth is, I don't know what I would do, and I find it incredibly hard to imagine.
Instead, I'd recommend going with a character that has an similar background to yourself - you can feel with him, but you don't have the interest to lead him into a direction you would take yourself.

Secondly, while I do think it can help to imagine certain scenarios and how your character would react in them, I think it's very important to not have a too strict idea of how your character will behave throughout his life.
You need a loose concept, sure, but take that rather as a guideline than as characteristics set in stone.
From my experience, your character will develop naturally over time, based on ic events that you could never have predicted. If you are too committed to an idea you once had, it will just hinder your natural development.

Thirdly, I'd just say don't worry too much about what others think about your character. If you take rp serious and enjoy the way you play your character, there is a high chance other's enjoy it too. Have fun! 🙂

6 hours ago, Brayces said:

Just play ya self, my dude.

I'm gonna give the exact opposite advice: don't play as yourself.

The first character I played was just pretty much me and it was horrible. I hated it. I felt limited and couldn't really allow myself to be creative. I know some people enjoy it, but I just don't. And when you're playing yourself, it's hard to sometimes separate the in-game emotions from real life emotions.

After a week of that character, I decided to create a new character, and maybe more or less subconsciously I made the new character to be pretty much as different as I could. So I played a female character. I ended up playing that character for months and months. Obviously, there was some luck involved in it as I found a good group to play with which made me stay with the character and the community for such a long time. But you should definitely try it out.

And I think it's even more important to develop your character. They don't need to stay the same, so if you don't enjoy them, just change them, develop them, let them change. Nobody ever stays the same, especially in a situation like the one that they are in right now.

Also, look for a good group, I think that's the key to having a good time on the server even if you aren't completely happy with the character you're playing.

Posted (edited)

The way I do my characters is that they are an exaggerated version, some more than others, of either myself or an aspect of my life. I do a good country character because my whole family is country and I can make my 17 year old voice sound like it's late 40's lol. Make your character relatable to yourself and incorporate elements of your own life into your roleplay experience. That's my take on it at least.

Edited by Mr. Blue

i always try to have a unique gimmick to my characters, you should look to a tv show or something similar and look for ideas from that