Server time (UTC): 2019-07-23, 14:21
Sign in to follow this  
Deagle

Power Tools: Balancing the Easy Way

Power Tools: Balancing the Easy Way  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As of the latest patch, people seem to have become even more divided on base building and raiding. The system DayZ has created is flawed, unlike its predecessor in Epoch. However I've decided to look at some old suggestions and finally make a full blown thread on a solution.
In my opinion, DayZRP could fix it entirely if time is put into it, but while there is base building changes and additions in the works for the mod, I wanted to expand on the idea created by Joah in his take on the issue you can find here.

The suggestion is clear, power tools. (Or something like it)

Many games that have balanced raiding have different ways to break in, but all require time and materials. DayZ simply requires an axe and as it stands 15 minutes to get access through a wall. Clearly there is a disconnect between the amount of time it takes builders to create versus players to get in. 
Now I understand why the change was done, hoarding. Players like to hoard an absurd amount of weapons and gear, but for now I feel that can be fixed as soon as building is.

I'm going to reference Rust due to both its popularity and its success on creating a good building and raiding system that rewards good design and players who raid equally.
The thing I want to focus on is equal time spent, the builder should be protected equally from their buildings and raiders should have to work to get in as well.
In Rust, builders gather resources to create their base, incredibly similar to DayZ from nails and planks to wood and stone. Raiders must create explosives which requires them to collect more materials. However, DayZ does not give raiders the tools they need and instead allows all basic axes to destroy bases. This imbalance can be fixed with specialized ways of getting in.

The raiders haven't had the tools to get into the base for a long time, but I feel that if they want to get in and they put the time in, they should be allowed to get in.

Onto the suggestion:
3af74f22-105c-4b88-ab89-5f4e86fe4f9d_1.4dd924633ff1b4fd731e53fef31e33f4.jpeg.4e671d0206b04b66127fe93abac39d7d.jpeg

Power Tools

These tools would be incredibly rare (to account for time spent) and require power in forms of either a specialized battery (rare as well) or a Generator (makes raiders have to carry a fuckin massive generator to raid)

These tools would be excellent as they would serve for a few walls, not just one, and could be the balance the game desperately needs for building. As well it just makes sense, people would be using these things instead of using shitty hatchets and axes. 

On a final note, I want to ask your opinion on the matter, I've simmered down a bit so I feel that everyone should have a say on what should happen.

Bonus props to @Joah for the suggestion.

Take me back to having the chainsaw days.

If you can find fuel or batteries then sure - go ahead. Would also be a great use for torturing people too.

Loved the mod days where we had chainsaws, would also be incredible for hostile RP 😮 

Ye

Rather have power tools so effort is needed to destroy walls, instead of some passerby with a melee weapon who can break it down in 15 minutes.

Massive +1 from me. I also get it, why time to destroy walls was reduced from 28 hours to 15 minutes but it still should be an effort for someone to break into such places not a random dude with just a simple axe. In favor of power tools, if it's possible to add them. If not, we have to wait for their official implementation.

Sure, why not. I'll support this suggestion. +1