Server time (UTC): 2019-10-24, 00:31
Sign in to follow this  
Finn

The troubles of base building, and how I propose to fix it.

Poll  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As the community grows and the daily player amount with it and the requirement for multiple servers.

There's a few problems we have currently with base building.

Over the past week I've been building on S1, I've gotten pretty far but I'm no where near finished. Only after finishing my base halfway we now have a limited queue and a little more people playing on the second server. It's tough building when you can't even get on the server your base is on sometimes, but people have suggested to build on both servers since you shouldn't restrict yourself to a single server. Although that could be feasible for someone with a small base that maybe takes a day to build on the other hand it's taken me a week to fortify half of the large building I'm currently fortifying. Once finished, I could expect the number of walls to amount to more than 120 walls, but lets round it to just 100.

My calculations for how long it'll take me to finish my base:

Spoiler

1 wall = 8 logs (2 for pillars, 6 for planks)

It takes 20 seconds to cut down a tree.

It takes 10 seconds to cut planks

It takes 10 seconds to repair your tools, Every 3 trees/logs you cut down you must repair your tools. Which includes your Axe and saw.

8 x 20 = 160 seconds to cut down the trees.

It takes 10 seconds to dig your posts in.

6 x 10 = 60 seconds to cut the planks.

Lets say your axe, hammer and saw both got damaged at least once. 

3 x 10 = 30 seconds to repair your tools

In total, it takes about 260 seconds of just pure building

Lets say my base takes 100 walls:

100 x 260 = 26000 seconds (7.22 hours)

7 and a half hours of staring at a loading bar, and this doesn't even include the amount of time that it takes to drag the ingredients back to your base and find nails for building.

Anyways, lets get back to the topic (This is what you'll want to read if you don't care about reading everything)

Our current problems with base building.

1. With multiple servers you need to build your base multiple times or even wall it off to protect against Ghosting.

• For very large bases to build on multiple servers would take months in order to do so with the current system.

2. The current skill system (Repairman or Builder) constantly resets after even repairing something once.

• The system is very helpful when you're trying to build but just doesn't work that well, realistically you wouldn't forget all your knowledge and skills just because you tried something else.

3. Tools degrade too quickly, to the point where a quarter of your time building is spent repairing your tooling.

• Axes are made for cutting down 100s of trees without wear, it's not realistic they break after 3 trees.

What I suggest to fix it:

1. We either, copy base data and spread it across every server. (I doubt we could even do this but I'd thought I'd suggest it) Don't hate me staff

2. Obviously we can't change how long it takes to build something as it wouldn't be realistic, but we could change how many logs you can obtain per tree which will truly affect the amount of time it takes to make a base. (Since it isn't realistic to just get a single log from a tall pine or oak tree.)

3. Simply make tools last longer, it's reasonable for them to take damage after cutting down more than a dozen trees.

tl;dr: I complain and rant about how it'll take me personally around 14 hours just to gather wood for bases on both servers, I offer 3 suggestions above to possibly fix the current problems I see with base building. 

Vote on the poll, and discuss what you think below.

1. -1, the idea is sound but wont happen and would be weird to watch happen on the other server, glitching ensues
  2. -1, base building is realistically time-consuming, so theres no point in making it easier and faster
  3. -1, see above

building houses in real life takes longer than 7 hours. sure its unrealistic for an axe to break after a few trees but that means you have to treat base-building resources as a commodity. current system is fine

3 minutes ago, Whitename said:
  1. -1, the idea is sound but wont happen and would be weird to watch happen on the other server, glitching ensues
  2. -1, base building is realistically time-consuming, so theres no point in making it easier and faster
  3. -1, see above

building houses in real life takes longer than 7 hours. sure its unrealistic for an axe to break after a few trees but that means you have to treat base-building resources as a commodity. current system is fine

Thanks for the input white, the main reason I'm making this suggestion is because although settlements should take a long time to build which I agree with. I shouldn't be building all week, I should be roleplaying. After all this is a roleplay server, it should take a bit of time to do but it shouldn't get to the point where I'm without RP for a week because something is being built.

Just now, Finn said:

Thanks for the input white

❤️

Just now, Finn said:

the main reason I'm making this suggestion is because although settlements should take a long time to build which I agree with. I shouldn't be building all week, I should be roleplaying. After all this is a roleplay server, it should take a bit of time to do but it shouldn't get to the point where I'm without RP for a week because something is being built.

You can't roleplay with your base-buddies while you build? Trade with {group x y z} for supplies? That's what we did and dick around ooc

It takes 9999 seconds to chop down a wall, if you want that level of security, put the work in.

-1, sorry friend.

22 minutes ago, California said:

It takes 9999 seconds to chop down a wall, if you want that level of security, put the work in.

-1, sorry friend.

SGqFYBQ.png

Just kidding, thanks for your input Cali. I think there is some work that should be put in, but I've spent my whole week doing this.

19 minutes ago, Finn said:

SGqFYBQ.png

Just kidding, thanks for your input Cali. I think there is some work that should be put in, but I've spent my whole week doing this.

I feel ya, but the saying; 'rome wasn't built in a day'.. You can get a small camp up in a few hours, ya for sure. But to fortify an entire compound/city/block/etc. It takes more than a days work.

I get to hold my LMB for 2.7 hours, I mean, seems like a fair tradeoff? Maybe not the whole 'repair taking away your building exp.' or whatever that is(never even knew that was a mechanic lol'.

And maybe make durability of your tools a bit better, they break too easily that's for sure.

I think you should build bases relative to your group size. A lare group in need of 100 walls and other structures could co-operate at a level where it wouldn't take to much time to complete, certainly not weeks or months, unless you build one wall per day.

If you're a solo player or just a few, build a smaller base. IC goals should be relative to your capabilities, a small group of 2-4 people might not be capable of building, maintaining and defending a large settlement by themselves.

If you're building a huge ass base yourself, you should really enlist more help. You need people to go scavenge for tools, cut logs, gather materials, all sorts of things. You really shouldn't be doing all of the coordination yourself.

With that being said, you have to put in the manpower for a strong or nice looking base. No need for any of those values to change imo. I've enjoyed basebuilding because I've had some good interactions because of it. And because I didn't do it by myself. I'd rip my eyes out if that was the case.

Basically a big NO for coping bases on all the different servers. I don't even think its possible, especially when we are talking about storage units. That and imagine having your base in the same spot on two servers. Whole group is on server A while base on server B is completely empty. See the issue here? Also I voted NO for trees giving you more logs after cutting them down as I think its already a good amount and more than that would be unreasonable. I voted YES for tools degrading slower. I think that's a reasonable thing to ask, especially with how fast it sometimes goes from worn to damaged.

The multiple server "problem" is a big yikes from me. I'd just suggest going and reading the old archived dayz mod section and see how everyone coped back in the day (Learn from your elders innit?). 

As for everything else? Bases should take a long time. 7 hours is 2 gaming sessions worth of play. That's frigging nothing! And that's just for one guy! 

If everyone could make a base solo in say half that time (3 hours) then bases would be nothing more than a gimick. 

But to add further points... you said urself it was for 100 walls... 100 WALLS! That's a lot of frigging walls my dude... and you want it so peeps could make 100 wall bases in 3-4 hours? 

Bro... 

-1000 from me. 

If the base building is not time consuming and difficult, bases with 100 walls like yours (WTF?) will be a common sight all over the map, lowering the server performance and experience for everyone until they decay after a month. It's a -1 for me. I'm of quite the opposite opinion that the buildings should be made MORE time consuming to make, considering it is an "end game" activity and usually a group effort and the work spreads across many people building or gathering resources, speeding up the progress even more. A single person shouldn't be able to create an entire walled off base with towers in a single day. Doubling or even tripling the resources needed for every wall or tower would be a good start IMO.

29 minutes ago, Roland said:

If the base building is not time consuming and difficult, bases with 100 walls like yours (WTF?) will be a common sight all over the map, lowering the server performance and experience for everyone until they decay after a month. It's a -1 for me. I'm of quite the opposite opinion that the buildings should be made MORE time consuming to make, considering it is an "end game" activity and usually a group effort and the work spreads across many people building or gathering resources, speeding up the progress even more. A single person shouldn't be able to create an entire walled off base with towers in a single day. Doubling or even tripling the resources needed for every wall or tower would be a good start IMO.

I'm kinda with the big man on this one. Building any sort of large structures should be end game and very time consuming. However with that being said, the structures should be significantly more sturdy....which they are pretty sturdy. I've gone from zero base to a full compound in around 2 hours with a 5/6 man labor squad assisting. This was even before the scrapping of tools to create nails. We gathered what we needed before we even started and went to work and it was nearly fully completed within a 'short' period of time.  I think things should stay as they are, its reasonably slow. You chop down a tree, you get one log ( unless you have that soft skill up high ). 

I do think we need a different door style though, a 'small wall/frame' sort of deal where its about the size of  a standard door so groups dont have to use these massive gates for everything. This would also make boarding up buildings more low impact and stealthy as instead of 20 walls and a gate to block off a building, its just like 2 doors. 

-1 Basebuilding is fine as it is when it comes to construction

De-construction from the outside should be lowered however, 30m please thank.