Server time (UTC): 2019-10-24, 05:48
Sign in to follow this  
TurtleTax

Server Queues

I am wondering why the server queue was dropped to 20 slots. Was this causing server performance issues with more users waiting to play?

We have seen this community grow quite a bit and the main server, S1, seems to be full all the time. The problem with the server queue being so small means that I cannot access my base, or RP with my friends since we're established on S1. My understanding is that S1 is meant to be the main server for everyone to base build and RP on and S2 is meant for overflow; looting and traveling when S1 is full, which is why S2 will disappear when there aren't enough players. Why can't I wait in line to get back to my base and gear?

S1 can no longer be the server for everyone with this kind of population. We have to accept the limits of DayZ server player cap and spread out the players across multiple servers if we're going to host 10% of the entire active DayZ playerbase. If we are to expand even further we have to spread over multiple servers. This is where queue reduction comes in.

Not accepting too many players into a queue to a single server makes secondary servers with free slots an instant and far more convenient option to play and role play. That is the goal here that we are experimenting with. So far it seems to be working, S2 population increased by 50% within an hour.

Posted (edited)

I understand about wanting to populate S2 more, does this mean that S2 will be permanent and available at all times? It seems that players would be stuck in limbo wanting to play where everyone is and where their base is located. If I'm on S2 but the S1 population dies down late at night then I'll be stuck playing on the opposite server without my gear / base. 

Edited by TurtleTax

4 minutes ago, TurtleTax said:

I understand about wanting to populate S2 more, does this mean that S2 will be permanent and available at all times?

It is already.

4 minutes ago, TurtleTax said:

It seems that players would be stuck in limbo wanting to play where everyone is and where their base is located. If I'm on S2 but the S1 population dies down late at night then I'll be stuck playing on the opposite server without my gear / base. 

That's a server technical limitation, there's nothing we can do about it. So people will have to somehow handle not having their base available on all servers that they play.

Posted (edited)

So now with the new queue cap you pretty much cannot connect to S1 and be certain that it will not bug out on you with the menu bug etc  as you have to spam join to get into the queue, if your telling me this is more of an incentive to join S2 then I'm calling your bluff, allot of groups are orientated around S1 and for a person like myself I have no reason to join S2 as everyone in my group plays on S1.

Edited by Eagle

It took me 10 minutes to get the 20th S1 queue position.  And that was just pure luck.  So, I guess you know my opinion.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I don't see the reason for the queue cap. I want to play on the server with the SettlementRP. I live in a settlement and roleplay with it's players right now.

Edited by CamoRP

I'm unaware of this, could you explain @Eagle?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Castiel said:

There is a queue cap now on the server every time you try to join and the cap is met, you will not be allowed into the server and now have to start spamming it randomly to get into the queue.

Edited by Eagle

1 minute ago, Castiel said:

When S1 is full you server queue is capped at 20 people so when typing in the DayzRP password it just doesn't put you in the queue if more than 20 people are in the queue.

Just now, Eagle said:

There is a queue cap now on the server every time you try to join and the cap is met, you will not be allowed into the server and now have to start spamming it randomly to get into the queue.

Was bad enough having to sit in queue for 30 minutes just to play the game, now I have to queue to queue? LOL 

1 minute ago, Eagle said:

I have to close my whole game and reload it to try to get back. I had to get into S1 as I was showing a new group recruit around camp and if I were on S2 I couldn't exactly just say "see the walls, theyre cool yeah?" when there aren't any there lmao

I can see how it might make people play on Server 2 more rather than just queue to get into Server 1. It also adds to annoyance to people who play in groups with bases who have to keep opening/closing their game to avoid the UI glitch while trying to join Server 1, considering their base/group isn't on Server 2. I feel like the annoyance outweighs the solution in this case. 

I think the main issue here is that this change was implemented while the community is still in the, "S1 is the real server," mindset.  While it's a good idea in concept, I think people will still be too stubborn to make the full swap to S2, myself included, since S2 is and has always been seen as the backup server, rather than just a second server, as seen by the 40+ people queues on S1 when S2 is only half-pop.

Posted (edited)

So if we crash, have a bug, etc during a hostile situation, we're forced to combat log now? Okay then...

I'm a shopkeeper and builder, so I only RP on S1.

Pros:

People might join S2.

Cons:

People will be forced to combat log.

RP will be ruined if someone crashes.

Groups will be split up.

Edited by Finn

I don't fuck with the queue cap. Seems like a really bad idea to me, even with it's good intentions to get people to play on S2 instead of mega long queues.

Spamming to get into the queue is reminiscent of old DayZ, but that isn't a good thing. I think the queue cap needs to be removed. Perhaps someone should make a suggestion thread with a poll for people to vote on.

Queue cap may be a thing but I am not sure it can be removed, even so people should start also building on S2. If we raise the Player Cap to 100 on S1 it'll lag so bad we all know this so that's out. If we remove the queue cap people will sit for hours in queue on S1 maybe never getting in before they have to dip or they crash and start over.

But keeping S2 Open and people actually building on it will make for settlements and RP to flourish so people will stop spamming to get on S1 when it's already full, and already has a capped queue which is in turn from what you're telling me is not even letting people queue for the queue. 🤣. Queuing for a queue, Christ!

Pls, build on S2. Keep S2 open always. S2 was at like 40 people when 5/6 of us joined on it for RP. That 5+ plus all our friends means all us silly little weeny campfire lambs are innocently wandering around doe eyed, full with good loots, like FALs, backwards caps, plate carriers, and cool belts with no hostile other players on S2 to randomly run into...

Safe to campfire RP in Svero ... Zeleno ...Cherno ... and the Triangle allll alone... Oh nooooo... Noo, don't join S2 on second tthhooouughttt... Let us allll wander arounnnddd with nooo one to interrupt our RP....~ Maybe WE'LL build a nice base there ... Fill it up with alllll the gear we want, sit around and sing campfire songs, and internal RP allll by ourselves with no one to come raid it ... Oh Gosh, I can imagine~

source.gif

Sarcasm aside...

Point being if you see S1 is full, and the queue is over 15 or whatever is reasonable then tell ya buddies to swap to S2 if they're not in the middle of RP! I know it's not ideal, but you have to want to be the change you see. If everyone else is spamming to sit in S1, waiting HOURS to get in to MAYBE RP with some people who have settlements no one will be happy 'cept those who are already and if they are then when they crash it's a long wait to get back in again which breeds salt.

In instances of RP you're in the middle of and have to log back in to get back to I get sitting in a queue for S1 legit no qualms there. But if you're JUST about to start RP for the day and haven't engaged in anything, and your friends are just running around bored ... why not try S2? Lots of people I know are using S2 instead of S1 because we have jobs, and real lives so we don't have the time to waste sitting in the queue for S1. Typically if pop is over 30 on S2 we all join that one instead of S1.

I just wish more people joined S2 so we'd have some encounters with people!

The queue cap is extremely annoying, which is the point, but it's highly unnecessary since most groups and people will always dedicate themselves to the main server no matter what. 

Hopefully the player count being raised to 90 will help. 

Just now, Aeryes said:

I dont play on S2 because my base is on S1 and all my RP is centered around the groups and bases on S1. I dont want to be forced to go over to S2.

You're not forced to! Maybe next wipe, build on S2 if it's open all the time? Encourages people to join S2 instead! To RP with you!

Just now, Aeryes said:

I dont want to do any of that. I am being forced to go to S2 because there is now a dumb ass queue limit preventing me from going to S1. I dont have a choice in this matter, if the queue is full I cant go to S1 and everyone will be spamming it. It was much more peaceful to watch some youtube videos or talk to friends on discord and wait for thew queue to pop.

🤷‍♀️ Okay then.

Dunno what to tell you, it's up to the big man and others if they even can remove the queue cap (some thing I don't have authority or expertise to speak on their ability to do so) and if they can't then oh well. Stuck where you are now, I guess. You can either live with it or make a change. Just know shouting into a void about how much it sucks isn't gonna solve anything if there's nothing to be done. We shall see!

You do you, man.

I was wondering why you guys have capped the Que at 20 players. In my opinion that is very dumb, support said it was supposed to make people play the other s2 server. from one player to another they arent going to be moving anytime soon because they do not want to restart or move anything else. i would recommend you guys fixing this because it just makes us not play DayZRP no more. If you guys were to wipe everything then set the Que it would have been more successful because it was a new wipe and it doesn't matter what you had before because its gone :D. Im not hating or dissing the server its just my opionon and it what i think. And i would rather wait in a long que of 30-70 players than to sit and re try launching the game over and over again.

4 minutes ago, Aeryes said:

I dont want to do any of that. I am being forced to go to S2 because there is now a dumb ass queue limit preventing me from going to S1. I dont have a choice in this matter, if the queue is full I cant go to S1 and everyone will be spamming it.

Genuine question, why the horrible aversion to S2?  People are populating S2 to nearly full pop now, so what's the harm in joining the numbers there and engaging in basebuilding/roleplay on the second sever as well?  Is it the fact that you "have" to, or something else?  Given a day or three with this change, if people actually embrace it, S2 will have just as many bases and people to interact with as S1, so why not jump in on that instead of fighting the inevitable?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Peril said:

Genuine question, why the horrible aversion to S2?  People are populating S2 to nearly full pop now, so what's the harm in joining the numbers there and engaging in basebuilding/roleplay on the second sever as well?  Is it the fact that you "have" to, or something else?  Given a day or three with this change, if people actually embrace it, S2 will have just as many bases and people to interact with as S1, so why not jump in on that instead of fighting the inevitable?

Well when all of your friends are on S1... that kinda is a problem 😄

Or you get kicked and where already involved in RP... so what are you doing then? 

Edited by Lyca

Try editing your suggestion to include a poll, so you can see how the rest of the community weighs in. 

Just now, Lyca said:

Well when all of your friends are on S1... that kinda is a problem 😄

As a counterpoint, then, I'll piggyback off of something @Brayces mentioned.  Why not take your friends and fill up the rest of S2 and roleplay with your friends and some new people there?

The one thing I can agree with here, though, is if there's some S1-based storyline that your friends and a second party are engaged in already, as it is definitely hard to coordinate that many people.  But, if it's just you and your friends, why not swap to S2 and all play together there?