Server time (UTC): 2020-01-22, 09:50 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Ron

Text Role Play

textrp  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Some people say this server should be VOIPRP only? Okay, okay - but then what's going to happen with our stance about "everyone is free to RP characters they want and provide the RP they want"? Remove the ability to TextRP and you're instantly restricting people that heavily depend on it like for example, people RPing a mute. ICly they can't talk, obviously, so how do you expect them to RP without TextRP? You don't like playing with TextRPers, thats fine, but don't try to restrict someones RP because you dont like it. If you're scared of being hit with "avoids RP" report just engange for like 5-10 seconds to tell them that either you're in a hurry somewhere or plain and simple you have no desire to speak with them.

2 minutes ago, Tewudin said:

Some people say this server should be VOIPRP only? Okay, okay - but then what's going to happen with our stance about "everyone is free to RP characters they want and provide the RP they want"? Remove the ability to TextRP and you're instantly restricting people that heavily depend on it like for example, people RPing a mute. ICly they can't talk, obviously, so how do you expect them to RP without TextRP? You don't like playing with TextRPers, thats fine, but don't try to restrict someones RP because you dont like it. If you're scared of being hit with "avoids RP" report just engange for like 5-10 seconds to tell them that either you're in a hurry somewhere or plain and simple you have no desire to speak with them.

Yet again it's an opinion, there is no rule being asked off or questioned.

Edited by Eagle

Text RP has its place here and is commonly encountered. With an influx of new blood, it’s important to inform them what they will encounter on the server, regardless of personal feelings on the matter.

3 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Yet again it's an opinion, there is no rule being asked off or questioned.

I know, I know but I just decided to engage in a discussion as I find this opinion weird. Like I said, you don't have to like someones RP but is it really an answer that its best to remove the ability to perform it?

Edited by Tewudin

1 minute ago, Tewudin said:

I know, I know but I just decided to engage in a discussion as I find this opinion weird. Like I said, you don't have to like someones RP but is it really an answer that its best to remove to ability to perform it?

No, you right haven't fully woken up so I wrote something that did not fit the post apologize.

The amount of people degrading Text RP on here makes me really really sad.

You have clearly never met an outstanding text RP'er, or if you have, you haven't given them a chance.
You can put so many emotions, details and feelings into a single line of text that can really shape the RP.

I remember a time when I myself was a text rp'er in 2015/2016 where 90% of the community were completely supportive of it and gave compliments to you for good text RP.

This is really disappointing. Like I said... It makes me sad.

7 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

You have clearly never met an outstanding text RP'er, or if you have, you haven't given them a chance.
You can put so many emotions, details and feelings into a single line of text that can really shape the RP.

I remember a time when I myself was a text rp'er in 2015/2016 where 90% of the community were completely supportive of it and gave compliments to you for good text RP.

I am from text-role play communities. Forum communities, or MUSH/MUD/MUX communities. 

I learned to text roleplay as my first form of roleplay, and have been doing it in various mediums for longer than 15 years.

But the DayZ system really does not allow for good text RP. I played a Doctor that met you and others, and I had to emote a great many things, and I can't express how frustrating the DayZ text system makes it.

This isn't necessarily a shot at the quality of competent text RP'rs. They exist for sure, and text RP can be of great and high quality. It allows putting in more detail then any voice can hope to get across (Although I will say that a /good/ voice RP'r can convey far more emotion in their voice then is easy to put into text). 

But the issue is that text-RP can really break-down the flow when everyone else is walking, talking, emoting with actual emotes, and having a conversation. Its impossible for a text RP'r to keep up with a crowd talking... And for everyone else to go dead silent to wait for a response, then work off that breaks up the immersion of the roleplay.

Edited by Rover
typos

9 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I'm fine with emotes. As for text RP in general it's all inherently flawed. Voip will always be superior simply because you can actually put emotion into it. Text RP might have details, but in terms of acting and raw emotion? It has nothing. And once again even if they are "good" text RPers I'm forced to sit there and wait for replies that generally take 30 seconds, leaving it awkward, breaking the fluidity of the RP, and breaking immersion. Text RP should be kept for games like Starcraft 2, Warcraft, etc. It doesn't belong in traditional games, only isometric ones.

Edited by Zero

1 minute ago, Zero said:

take 30 seconds, leaving it awkward, breaking the fluidity of the RP, and breaking immersion. 

Many text rp'ers are trained in typing fast. It should take less than 30 seconds unless the line is long.

1 minute ago, Phoenix said:

Many text rp'ers are trained in typing fast. It should take less than 30 seconds unless the line is long.

I have a characters per minute type speed of 500 (Something like 100-120 words per minute, depending on your particular method of conversion).

This is 2.5 times the average persons type speed. I can type blisteringly fast, and I can't keep up with a voice conversation using text. Its simply not possible, and even I have experienced awkwardness when trying to emote something while people are waiting for my voice response.

The only thing that pisses me off about text rp is I don’t know who the fuck is talking most of the time when they are in groups and the fact how people abuse it for initiations so you don’t know where they are , giving them and advantage  . 

I have met some great text rps on this server but even if you are amazing at it , it’s still misplaced on a game where your constantly running and moving around , I really don’t want to keep stopping every time someone says a word . 

But on topic i don’t really think it’s necessary, everyone should know text rp is allowed and if they don’t then there must be a whitelisting problem .

3 minutes ago, Saints said:

The only thing that pisses me off about text rp is I don’t know who the fuck is talking most of the time when they are in groups and the fact how people abuse it for initiations so you don’t know where they are , giving them and advantage  . 

That would be against the rules, at least from my understanding of it.

You can't initiate on someone that doesn't know where you are, as they need to be able to identify you.

If you can use voip instead of text i don't see why you would choose text at all, a majority of people textRP'ing that i've met take longer than it should to write out what they say, and don't even get me started how it is while sprinting/jogging. Personally i don't care at all since i'm a very patient person but i can totally see the problem that other people feel.

1 hour ago, RavenousRP said:

big facts! if u wanna rp as a girl get a voice changer 

this +1, at least you'll be able to talk while moving 

Also, this thread was about adding the definition of textRP to the rules, i'm pretty sure we've passed that point already. 

I'd like to remind everyone that the thread is intended to discuss if text chat & emotes / descriptive rp should be explained somewhere for newcomers and people who could benefit from it. 

This thread is not about voip vs. textrp nor about if text rp should be forbidden nor voice changers (cringe). Please stay on topic.

I simply wanted to know what you guys think about an explanation of the different ways to rp in the server & if / how it should be stated somewhere besides text rp guides, so we avoid ongoing ooc during encounters. 

Edited by Ron

I definitely think that textrp should be explained somewhere.. Like, the mentor program we had a while back.. no clue as to why it was disbanded.

+1 for the suggestion Ron. 

+1 Yes, if this really is an issue among our playerbase (especially newcomers) then I'd be strongly in favor of this being explained somewhere. Not necessarily in the rules but like in a guideline somewhere. 

I like people who text-RP... even if they are slow... At some point I thought of using text myself so that people would not mistake my characters. And yes, I do think that this should be explained in the rules for one simple reason: in the conclusion of some reports, players are punished for not emoting correctly.

18 hours ago, RavenousRP said:

get a voice changer  

18 hours ago, Zero said:

no one watches tutorials on how to use them or messes with the settings. It’s easy to configure if you play with them for a few minutes. 

Can any of you suggest any software/tutorial in particular? I tried Voxal and it did not work. I am very curious about this!

Edited by William89

Alot of new comers think that the text box is mainly OOC or to see //lul see you on the forums bud. I think we need an explanation of this, we have new RPers who join and may not get guidance like the rest of us have.

We all had to start somewhere (and in hindsight I bet we cringe at it).

Using Text RP is a big yes in my case. Since I can’t show my characters expression or little actions. I use them. Plus when a whole situation has 25+ people in a 10ft radius - VOIP can get clustered. So people refer to the text RP to communicate etc. It also helps with people who don’t speak other languages, now what Brayces said and why I’m writing it - I can’t speak another language fluently to save my life. The text chat helps to just emote I’m using another language to stick true to my character.

13 hours ago, William89 said:

I like people who text-RP... even if they are slow... At some point I thought of using text myself so that people would not mistake my characters. And yes, I do think that this should be explained in the rules for one simple reason: in the conclusion of some reports, players are punished for not emoting correctly.

Can any of you suggest any software/tutorial in particular? I tried Voxal and it did not work. I am very curious about this!

Morphvox is really the only one I’ve seen that is actually good. You’re able to adjust pitch, shift, timber, among many other numerous things. It would take awhile to find the right settings through testing but if you find it I’m sure it would sound fine. The downside is it’s $39.99 I believe.