Server time (UTC): 2019-10-20, 15:18
Sign in to follow this  
Ron

Text Role Play

textrp  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

I meet a lot of new people in the servers and I get the feeling that 4 out of 5 people I meet, believe that the normal text chat is ooc communication only.

I believe a small explanation in the rules that one can rp over mic or in text chat and how it is supposed to be seen & handled to be immersive, would be helpful. Additional to that, there could be a little paragraph on what emotes are and how they are used ig. I think this would be a good addition to the rules page because it reaches more people than a text rp guide which points more towards actual rp content. 

It staff agrees on this, I ofc would be willing to write something up or at least try to help with it.

Let me know what you think.

Edited by Ron

I voted yes, but maybe not a rule, but a guide. Im a newbie and hold my hands up, ive only ever seen OOC chat in the text. The most RP ive seen is things like //hands a note with radio frequency written... etc etc

Being 100% open, if someone started text rping with me, i'd need them to explain OOC that this is what they are doing

The amount of new AND old roleplayers who just ignore the text, both emotes and speaking in text. Best shit when someone has to type the same thing several times before getting noticed. I love it.

Rules are rules, these are restrictions that say what you can or cannot do in game. Should be kept short and to the point IMO.

Basic role playing training, including how IC and OOC work or how to use the OOC chat does not really belong in the rules. We have the newcomer guide for that. But in the end we can't force people to read it, or watch the RP instructional video that is in there.

1 minute ago, Roland said:

Rules are rules,

But also 'rules are interpreted'

Regardless, ignoring people talking to you is badrp, so ignoring text rp = bad rp, no? Which is a rule break?

So if I text RP, and people just ignore me either intentionally or unintentionally, can I report for BadRP? How does that work?

Not saying I'm one to textRP due to the severe disadvantages(one being that you are ignore over and over), but are the same rules for badrp work for text and voice rp?

12 minutes ago, California said:

Best shit when someone has to type the same thing several times before getting noticed.

YES! That is so annoying! XD!

Some people are just great at text RP... such a pity that others pay no attention!

10 minutes ago, California said:

Not saying I'm one to textRP due to the severe disadvantages(one being that you are ignore over and over), but are the same rules for badrp work for text and voice rp?

RP on the server is primarily voice. Rules are also created for voice. Aside from using text emotes I personally don't like text RP, it's slow and inconvenient. Text RP is a niche that will never be officially promoted or have rules created specifically for it. So no, it's not really the same.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Roland said:

Basic role playing training, including how IC and OOC work or how to use the OOC chat does not really belong in the rules. We have the newcomer guide for that. 

I can agree to an additional paragraph in the new comers guide. On point and not an 500 explanation ofc.

Still you talk about "text chat" in the rules. The difference needs to be explained, imo.

3.8 OOC communication should only be done through text chat and only when absolutely necessary. You may not use OOC chat to casually chat with other players in game. Use the "//" prefix to indicate OOC text communication.

It wont hurt to put in a single sentence that text chat is also being used to emote certain actions and by text rpers who don't use a mic and then put a link to an actual example in the newcomers guide.

36 minutes ago, Roland said:

But in the end we can't force people to read it.

Agreed you cant force people to read it. But you can force / make people play within the rules. If I text role play with someone who does not know what it is and he directly goes either ooc in voip (which appears a lot atm) or answers //I dont hear a microphone //is that allowed? //dude you dont speak ig  (I did experience this also from GameMasters) - and keeps going on ooc - it simply sucks. And I don't want to get someone banned for that, if they dont know it is a thing- I want them to understand and play within the rules. Rules including you have to role play with people at all time and do not go //ooc casually.  

So what about an additional sentence in the rules + a small text for the newcomers guide?

Edited by Ron

I once remember trying to RP out getting a book an old character of mine used to record names / info and write in it via text RP (Because lets be real, having a book in ur hand don't make it too clear what u were doing). Realised it may not be obvious I was typing stuff so I said i'd put a "//!" in the chat each time before writing a descriptive text RP sentance. 

Proceeded to have the 10-15 blokes there all typing "//!" in the chat mocking my ass whilst I was trying to provide them RP (along with the exact situation they were looking for 😂

Yeah... I think there needs to be some rules for text rp, especially descriptive Text RP, as it's seen as a joke at the moment.

Posted (edited)

Snip, Wrong thread.

Edited by Ryan Shepherd

2 minutes ago, Ryan Shepherd said:

I was present.

We breached the compound during the night, we saw the smoke coming from the house. We opened the door of the house and saw you lying on the cough, I said 'Oh hello there.' You did not respond, clearly AFK so @SquidProQuo and I gave you the benedit of the doubt and waited for you to return to in game.

You returned and exchanged a word or two before we initiated on you, we asked you to put your hands up but you decided to go excessivly OOC in voice talking about greifing and loosely suggesting that we ghosted in.

Further refusing to put your hands up and continuing to speak OOC in voice you were shot, failing to be a compliant hostage.

I would like to counter report for unnecessary voice OOC (BadRP?).

Here is a the video:

Wrong thread Shepard 😂

Just now, AndreyQ said:

Wrong thread Shepard 😂

I am honestly retarded 😂, you were quicker than my snip 😂

Most people do not intentionally ignore text chat or emotes. The fact is that text chat is pretty small and when you are focused on whats going on in the center of your screen, your eye sometimes doesnt pick up some microscopic text in the bottom left. Along with that most, though not all, text RP'ers are slow typers and the situation and questions being asked by VOIP RP'ers move to quickly for them to follow up with. That makes the whole encounter a hassle because what takes you 5 seconds to say, takes a text RP'er 30 minutes to respond to. 

I think people should have the freedom to choose what there character stands for and how he is.

If you are female/male and want to play as the opposite gender, then that is up to the persons creativity. Therefore I voted yes.

This shouldn't be in the rules, it should be in an RP Primer.

The relevant part to the rules is already included in them... even if it is just one line.

"Use the "//" prefix to indicate OOC text communication."

Posted (edited)

Imo the server should be voip only, the way Rolle put it above is perfect. With the time I've been in this community I've met one good text RPer, rest have been slow and honestly it ruins most hostage and even normal situations due to long winded pauses and gaps in between questions and harm.

Edited by Eagle

I also think it should be voip only...9/10 cases when I run into a text roleplayer, instantly this awkward pause is forced where you have to wait for the person to respond, it makes the roleplay (Imo) cringe af and you just wan't to leave that person and find someone using their mic. 

Just now, Blake said:

I also think it should be voip only...9/10 cases when I run into a text roleplayer, instantly this awkward pause is forced where you have to wait for the person to respond, it makes the roleplay (Imo) cringe af and you just wan't to leave that person and find someone using their mic. 

big facts! if u wanna rp as a girl get a voice changer 

9 minutes ago, RavenousRP said:

big facts! if u wanna rp as a girl get a voice changer 

Voice changers are even more cringe

Ez solution to fix your text RP problem. Don’t use filthy text RP. I always give text rpers a chance but god damn are they annoying.

Text RP unless it’s to emote things always breaks my immersion because i as well as my friends have to just sit there for 30 second pauses to wait for responses or stop in the middle of the road while they type. It breaks the fluid movement of RP. 

7 minutes ago, Aisling said:

That’s because no one watches tutorials on how to use them or messes with the settings. It’s easy to configure if you play with them for a few minutes. 

11 minutes ago, Aisling said:

Rather have a robot then an empty void of silence.

The only issue I have with text RP in general is that it causes everything to stop while someone freezes and goes still. You can't 'walk and talk'. While I've never been a hostile PVP'r, I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to try and deal with someone that 'stops' every time they need to reply to you.

Add it in the rules? Eh, could go either way. Would be nice for some people coming into RP come from Pub and have no concept of RP or TextRP.

Exclude it completely? Lmao, no? TextRP has been a staple of RP before this server was born, and will continue to do so. If there's a chat bar there's a chance for TextRP. And what most people consider "TextRP" is legit just using the chat bar as intended by the DayZ Devs... To pass information when you cannot use a mic. Sorry to people with ADHD Attention spans and cannot wait the 3-5 seconds it takes someone to type out a sentence. Forgot this was a RP Server for a moment, oh wait. No, it is.

So maybe people should be allowed to RP as they wish? 🙃 Have we heard this one before? Yeah? Okay then!

I don't see people trying to stop other people from being FORCED to speak in actual Chernarussian/Czech or other languages when they use TextRP and want to speak to fellow countrymen in front of foreigners but be sneaky about it. Lol, new rule in order to RP as someone who speaks different languages you have to actually voIP those languages now. Sorry, no more TextRP. And if you don't speak the actual language, badRP unless you use TTS Google over voIP. ✋ 💯 😤 /s

If you don't want to RP with a TextRP then don't engage with them and excuse yourself from the RP session and find quality voIP RP elsewhere. EZ PZ.

13 minutes ago, Brayces said:

Add it in the rules? Eh, could go either way. Would be nice for some people coming into RP come from Pub and have no concept of RP or TextRP.

Exclude it completely? Lmao, no? TextRP has been a staple of RP before this server was born, and will continue to do so. If there's a chat bar there's a chance for TextRP. And what most people consider "TextRP" is legit just using the chat bar as intended by the DayZ Devs... To pass information when you cannot use a mic. Sorry to people with ADHD Attention spans and cannot wait the 3-5 seconds it takes someone to type out a sentence. Forgot this was a RP Server for a moment, oh wait. No, it is.

So maybe people should be allowed to RP as they wish? 🙃 Have we heard this one before? Yeah? Okay then!

I don't see people trying to stop other people from being FORCED to speak in actual Chernarussian/Czech or other languages when they use TextRP and want to speak to fellow countrymen in front of foreigners but be sneaky about it. Lol, new rule in order to RP as someone who speaks different languages you have to actually voIP those languages now. Sorry, no more TextRP. And if you don't speak the actual language, badRP unless you use TTS Google over voIP. ✋ 💯 😤 /s

If you don't want to RP with a TextRP then don't engage with them and excuse yourself from the RP session and find quality voIP RP elsewhere. EZ PZ.

I have ADD and waiting for someone to write out a paragraph or give short answers is annoying, Not only that you can't tell someone's tone over a text so it's hard to understand a person and don't wanna get hit with avoiding RP for dodging the mutes

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Brayces said:

I'll remember for the next time a lonely text RPer is in a crowd of people I take hostage I will toss them aside because you know quality VoIP RP and stuff.🙏
When people refer to baring text RP they often refer to the common tongue emotes and languages are usually things that don't irritate people but when you ask people simple questions of what's going on dude and 30 seconds later you get a not too bad mister yourself? No one is speaking of a rule it's an opinion something you seem to not understand just like this is your opinion.

Edited by Eagle