Server time (UTC): 2019-07-23, 12:07
Sign in to follow this  
andysuter

Do you play Military or Civillian

Do you play Military or Civillian  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

The majority of people i come across all seem fully kitted in full military gear, so im curious, what is the split between the forum users?

Edited by andysuter

Oleg Symturov is my first DayZ character with a military background, ever, and I’ve been roleplaying off and on for a good bit. Even then, I wear mostly civilian clothes, however I am a sucker for the field jacket. It just looks so good!

Posted (edited)

I'm a slave trader

Edited by FalkRP

I like to play civilians with a personality more akin to my own.

I always use Bomber jacket with tracksuit pants and flatcap or beanie. Or a full tracksuit. Courier bag, improvised bag or hunting bag is a must.

I never wear military other than a vest and boots.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Sm1ley said:

I always use Bomber jacket with tracksuit pants and flatcap or beanie. Or a full tracksuit. Courier bag, improvised bag or hunting bag is a must.

I never wear military other than a vest and boots.

Ive only ever seen one courier bag and never seen a hunting bag. What do they look like? I fancy getting away from the huge mountain backpacks etc

EDIT - Scrub that last bit, its the hunting backpack. I know what they are now

Edited by andysuter

1 minute ago, andysuter said:

Ive only ever seen one courier bag and never seen a hunting bag. What do they look like? I fancy getting away from the huge mountain backpacks etc

Courier bag is like a messenger bag which you usually find in civillian houses in very small towns. The hunting bag is basically a backpack that is more slack, hunter style, you find it in hunter towers, and in all the little huts in the summer camps scattered around the map.  

image.png

I've usually always played the role of nationalists, either a CDF Soldier or a Nationalist Militiaman.

I did have some fun flipping it around and trying out the communist route with Free Territory though, and it was equally fun.

For me, full military kit is a full set of camouflage with helmets and vests, and while I may done a pair of camoflaged pants and a vest, I would certainly not consider myself full on conventional military.

I play paramilitary, civilians who fight for whatever cause.

I might try something different after my character eventually meets his end though... We'll see.

I almost never play a current military member,  one out of 6 characters I make will be or 'current' military. The rest were prior military service giving them some skills, but overall being pretty civilian based in general. 

Civilian clothing with tac gear over it is where its at. Full camo is lame. 

I like playing characters that I can develop as I RP. So I bring in clean slates; IE. people who've never held a gun, never shot a person, never done any survival training and then build on that in RP. If someone shows me how to incorrectly use a gun in RP I will RP using that gun incorrectly until it's corrected, etc. This way I can build RP experiences as I move forward. For example current char. has no medical skills beyond slapping a bandage on something which works for the mechanics in DayZ But for MedicalRP she's useless and is seeking out training to be of some use. 

So far she has a Chernarussian to English Level 1 Book which she hopes to use in junction with a First Aid Guide (in Chernarussian of course) once she finds one to further her learning. She's also learning and taking notes from her Doctor friend when and where she can. 😄 Right now she can sorta stitch up open lacerations though it'd be shoddy work as she has no practice! But removing a bullet? Lol, nope! Can't do that yet. (Without causing major harm to the patient)  

Other people tend to load in knowing a WHOLE lot which is good to a degree, but I think that knowing each and every gun and each and every item, spawn point, map location, etc is boring and very Mary Sue. 

Posted (edited)

I'm military IRL but I play civilian character just based on the fact that there's too many military characters. I dont even wear too much military clothing, as my clothing is a mashup and doesnt match.

I honestly hate seeing people dress in full black, or full military. Nobody who is ex military would wear all black as it's not issued, and as a member of the military I would honestly completely destroy the dress regs if a zombie apocalypse happened. 

Wearing full black or full military just makes you an easier target for robberies anyways. 

Edited by Finn

Posted (edited)

I play a rich dude, just because im poor af irl.

Sometimes I play a soldier, sometimes a doctor. I like to switch things up 🙂

Edited by Jackfish

I play old people with somekind of military background and they get soo many friends and enemies. And I dress so people recognize me.

I always play civilians who have next to no actual good skills and through RP experiences he will gather skills. For instance, last week he met Viridian who taught him and his boys simple medical things so that something should happen now he does have basic knowledge.

Im playing a Swedish criminal bussniess man atm 

If I play a non chernarussian character its often non military civilians or criminals

If I play a chernarussian character its often a military character like a CDF member or a militia member like NAPA

I currently play an extremist with a plate csrrier and pants without a shirt usually and a small backpack 

Due to the special role(s), both civilian but also military. I must say while I cannot rule out "fully decked out people", I hardly see them. I also do not get around much but it is of my subjective view that most people run around in "believable fashion" (pun intended).

And I like that, I must say, opposed to (literally or almost) every motherfucker running around in full military gear that would likely make little sense because unless your char was or is military or similar or unless a situation demands it, why run around fully decked out all the time? Or in other words, some could and should, but not all, or it would turn weird.

Or perhaps in other words, I sometimes do it, char- and background wise, but I am glad not many other people seem to do it - unless it just makes sense for them IC'ly or in a situation. Now that there's also summer there's more encouragement of less "full kits" all the time because you'd likely sweat your ass off over time.

But to add:

1 hour ago, Finn said:

I honestly hate seeing people dress in full black, or full military. Nobody who is ex military would wear all black as it's not issued, and as a member of the military I would honestly completely destroy the dress regs if a zombie apocalypse happened. 

Wearing full black or full military just makes you an easier target for robberies anyways. 

I get it, but yet we have to keep in mind that there's various private and public sector outfits, units, groups or factions still operating (so, active duty), including full black or full military, however one wants to define it. You will see various kinds of uniforms around or in-use, just not that many. And I think that's fine.

12 minutes ago, Combine said:

I get it, but yet we have to keep in mind that there's various private and public sector outfits, units, groups or factions still operating (so, active duty), including full black or full military, however one wants to define it. You will see various kinds of uniforms around or in-use, just not that many. And I think that's fine.

Yeah, certain groups may use black but it's just unrealistic to have black military clothing spawning more frequently than vanilla military uniforms.

I was recently told I special more in the mental illness characters so I guess this is more civilian type RP. However I am currently RPing as an AWOL CDF with schizophernia

I just do whatever fits at the time RP isn't a one single minded style for me.

So far I've played a slave trader, a cannibal, a millionaire, another slave trader, a sexual predator, a germophobe with a stutter, a cage fighter turned raider and now a cultist. I think I'd be bored out of my skull if I played a military character rofl 

I play a civilian but I always get called a soldier and I can't figure out why, just cause my character has full USMC garbs, combat boots, ALAS pack, the M4 my dad used in Iraq with 60 round of RP, not to mention why I need my combat helmet with NVGs and ballistic mask of every variant in case the zombies try to hit me. Doesn't make me a solider guys! I'm just lucky because I met a war vet that taught me how to use all my equipment, he was on the helicopter when it crashed with me on this island of Chernorussia.

Btw anyone got some 5.56?

46 minutes ago, Mugin said:

I play a civilian but I always get called a soldier and I can't figure out why, just cause my character has full USMC garbs, combat boots, ALAS pack, the M4 my dad used in Iraq with 60 round of RP, not to mention why I need my combat helmet with NVGs and ballistic mask of every variant in case the zombies try to hit me. Doesn't make me a solider guys! I'm just lucky because I met a war vet that taught me how to use all my equipment, he was on the helicopter when it crashed with me on this island of Chernorussia.

Btw anyone got some 5.56?

Can't get any more legit 

Posted (edited)

Currently playing a cannibal who went to cannibalism for the sake of survival.

My first character was a civilian who was a shoddy paramedic / hunter and has next to no medical skills beyond stitching someone.

My shelved character (currently TextRP) is also a civilian, but had gained a few gun skills over time from conflicts. 

I play civilians because I think military characters are a bit boring - and I've seen some BAD military characters.

Edited by Firemoiselle