Server time (UTC): 2019-07-18, 10:06
Sign in to follow this  
ActionMan

Discord emotes

pepe.png.1fd5eb2cd6d934d35040a78a9bb02093.png

Maybe this is just me.... but for a serious RP community, isn't ^^^^^ this ^^^^^ super cringey? Pepe and chad, to me, are just used to signal that you're cool with edgy 4chan "let's be offensive jerks, like, ironically" culture, which is cool if you're like, an ironically offensive teenager, but chad's a symbol of incels, and pepe, like it or not, is now the icon of the alt-right political movement... I don't care if that's your jam (as long as you're not one of those murderous incels), but this just makes discord feel like a place for trolls and teenagers to circlejerk. Is that just me being old?

Posted (edited)

I got pointed for hinting ''Suicide' with the hanging scene from ridiculous 6 and yet we have a suicide Pepe in discord. 🤔

Edited by Eagle

I don't see any alt-right or incel related topics on the discord. These images are memes, always have been. In fact, Pepe has been around since 2008, its a frog from a comic... if you choose to view them as political icons then that's your choice and you don't have to use them. If we begin to ban images that people of extremist views use on the internet then we may as well ban free speech entirely.

Spoiler

I hear the Nazis ate Beans during World War II. I say we ban the use of Beans too!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, porkysteaks said:

I don't see any alt-right or incel related topics on the discord.

What prompted this topic was that I logged onto discord and was greeted with a screen full of pepe's killing themselves and some kind of "SJW conspiracy theory" talk.... It felt like I was on /pol/, not dayzrp.

These images are memes, always have been. In fact, Pepe has been around since 2008, its a frog from a comic... if you choose to view them as political icons then that's your choice and you don't have to use them.

I'm aware they predate 4chan and their use as reactionary symbols... however the fact is that they are now symbolic of, at best, trolling, or at worst, reactionary politics. That's the mainstream connotations now. If you do choose to use these images, you are choosing to virtue signal that you're on the right side of some made up culture war. Or you're unaware that that's what your signalling, but the end result is the same -- you're presenting yourself as an extreme right wing troll to the mainstream. I'm aware that this may be an accidental decision by many. I'm not stopping anyone from presenting themselves that way.

If we begin to ban images that people of extremist views use on the internet then we may as well ban free speech entirely.

I didn't say anything about banning images... and... that's not at all how freedom of speech works? It's best to always assume good faith on the internet, so I assume you took me pointing out that the server has added pepe to it's custom emotes, to mean that I want to ban all pepe memes entirely? That's not what I said, and has no connection to freedom of speech whatsoever....

Also, for what it's worth, even if the server did ban any kind of topic or image at all, that's not an infringement against your freedom of speech. That phrase doesn't mean what you think it means.

The server admins have manually added this iconography to the discord chat, which is an endorsement of their use / encouragement to use them. It just seems odd to encourage people to use "trolling" memes / or to be seen as endorsing reactionary politics on a RP chat room / or it seems really cringey for teenage "offense culture" to be actively promoted in an official capacity. 

I hear the Nazis ate Beans during World War II. I say we ban the use of Beans too!

Ok, that's stretching my good faith a bit far 😛 now you're just deliberately choosing to not engage in any kind of nuanced thought and deliberately using farce to argue against something that I didn't say 😛

Edited by ActionMan

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Eagles_4L1fe said:

wat.

Like honestly wat?

Outside of your bubble, the pepe and chad memes have some extremely bad connotations. To promote them in an official capacity is making a choice to associate yourself with those connotations. Pretty simple. Do you have a specific question or comment?

I mean, you can either pick:

We're not aware / don't think that it's that bad / we don't care.

or

We are aware of what we're doing and it's deliberate. GKY.

Edited by ActionMan

4 hours ago, Eagles_4L1fe said:

-snip-

See - he's the perfect icon of troll culture 😂

I mean, if that's what you want to promote, then ok.

10 hours ago, ActionMan said:

See - he's the perfect icon of troll culture 😂

I mean, if that's what you want to promote, then ok.

User was warned for this post

537182538674864128.png.81d7a5a759f0f4086a2f9cab851a07b3.png

It's a server hosted for a video game. Using the internet. Where memes exist.
The RP is serious but that doesn't mean people can't have fun outside of the RP.

Memes will be memes dude. If you're influenced by their usage from other people on the internet and attach a meaning to them, other than them just being a meme, that's a you problem.

1 hour ago, ActionMan said:

Is that just me being old?

¯\_( ツ )_/¯

48 minutes ago, Kordruga said:

Memes will be memes dude. If you're influenced by their usage from other people on the internet and attach a meaning to them, other than them just being a meme, that's a you problem.

I'm not offended / etc... If you guys want to post suicide jokes and bond over conspiracy theories, then go off. I was just curiously wondering the admin's intentions were in promoting it.

This quote is like you saying that words or pictures don't have meaning... To take a page out of porkysteaks book and use some farce, it's like saying that doing a heil German dictator salute is just a meme, and if anyone thinks that it makes you look like a nazi, that's their problem. I don't care if you make yourself look like a nazi -- it's not my problem.... You should probably be aware that it is a problem for you though. 

Your actions do have meaning and will influence your path in life. Pepe and chad are cringey af. Being edgy on the internet is cringe. If you want to pretend that doing nazi salutes is just a meme bro, then that's fine... but you're going to realize one day that's it's embarrassing and get a good laugh out of yourself, hopefully 😄 

55 minutes ago, Eagles_4L1fe said:

If you think that's a troll reply you haven't seen nothing yet 

HYPERLUL.png.5d0e39ae88c8195b5eb04b7e6dfb58e8.png

Yeah, so that's basically what I was wondering -- if the admins were actively trying to promote this kind of thing ^^^ ?

It’s just a game man and a discord. Just don’t use it if it bothers you 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, ActionMan said:

Yeah, so that's basically what I was wondering -- if the admins were actively trying to promote this kind of thing ^^^ ?

I never said anything about the admins fam

ThinkRock.png.dd005b8761d8b30007edd5eec0f0a24b.png

I also already know what you're going to say and there's a difference between actively promoting something thats actually a problem and realizing that shit like this is literally just for shits and giggles.

Edited by Eagles_4L1fe

@NozzyRP was it you that called this thread? Almost sure you said this would happen. 

I think the emojis are fine lol, yall need to chill.

Posted (edited)

It’s a green frog, it’s not that big of a deal. 

Dont use the emotes if you dislike them, simple stuff.

edit: Symbol of the alt right? I genuinely can’t tell if the entirety of your posts on this thread are bait or if you actually believe everything the news says..

Edited by Mexi

7 hours ago, JamesRP said:

Mate, are you seriously this triggered by a couple of emojis?

We live in a society

7 hours ago, Chernon said:

I see you use white discord background, explains everything.

No way 😛

pepe2.png.117f030c9ea03e7c3099efa45897ff8c.png

7 hours ago, Clarence said:

I'm guessing you are from Melbourne which most likely explains a lot.

User has been warned for this section of the post

7 hours ago, Mexi said:

Symbol of the alt right? I genuinely can’t tell if the entirety of your posts on this thread are bait or if you actually believe everything the news says..

....but during the 2016 elections, it like, actually, for reals, was a self-appointed symbol of the alt-right though??? Like, they promoted the shit out of it. Trump posted himself as pepe. Alex Jones got sued by the creator for selling pepe merch... They flew Kekistani flags (the pepe religion) modeled after nazi flags (((as a joke))) to own the libs.

If you google it now, the top pages are all explaining its long history, all with a huge section explaining how it was used as a symbol for far right extremism.

I mean, if it doesn't have all these connotations, there's no need to slap disclaimers like this on it:

However, because so many Pepe the Frog memes are not bigoted in nature, it is important to examine use of the meme only in context. The mere fact of posting a Pepe meme does not mean that someone is racist or white supremacist. However, if the meme itself is racist or anti-Semitic in nature, or if it appears in a context containing bigoted or offensive language or symbols, then it may have been used for hateful purposes.

And yeah, regarding that disclaimer about context, I logged on today to a wall of suicidal pepes and someone going on with some SJW conspiracy theory shit, which really does feel like some 4chan incel board....

That's not the only bad connotation that it has though... It's strongest association is simply 4chan, and the kind of culture from those boards... which is the complete opposite of what the DayZRP rules suggest. The fact that it's an alt-right flag is just the extra spice on top...

DayZRP is a community created by mature people, for mature players. We are adults who want to enjoy high level role play in a controlled setting without having to interact with immature individuals who could destroy our experience. Similarly, we do not want to participate in or host any kind of Internet drama or bullying. These rules apply everywhere, not just things you do, say or send through DayZRP services.

1.1 We demand all our members to be polite, behave maturely and with respect towards one another at all times. Do not insult, bully, harass, troll or provoke other DayZRP members.

It's a symbol of trolling. I found it odd that a community described above would encourage that kind of trolling -- it felt like a very strange decision -- so I asked about it, genuinely curious, and get the kind of responses that I honestly expect from a community that encourages pepe memes:

pepe3.png.bb326a4e66dadc7a59fb072d79232bff.png

So yeah, I guess that answers my question... The admins added the emojis so y'all can be edgy teenagers 😆

User was cautioned for this post

Let it be known, for the record:

Spoiler

image.png.b1677e8e2ac17c830cc0beeb71c79ab9.png

Honestly, I can't tell if you're serious or not. No, the emotes are fine and most of them are in every decent sized discord. Please don't concern yourself with the little pictures you can post and just play the game.

the alt right can take pepe from my fucking cold, dead hands

its just pictures on the internet. you don’t need to use them or even look @ the discord. i generally dont check it very often

We are a serious roleplay server and we need serious emotes NOW! 

I honestly think you’re looking too much into it. If anything they’re just silly icons people use - it’s not really gonna hurt anyone posting a frog looking man (in my eyes) unless I’m missing something...?

I am triggered by the virgin emojis, because I am a chad