Server time (UTC): 2019-07-16, 07:16
Sign in to follow this  
Aeryes

Zombie Horde Discussion.

Posted (edited)

This is a discussion thread for the implementation of hordes, not the place to say you dont want them. Keep that to the suggestion thread.

Considering that a lot of people support the idea of hordes in some shape or form I have gone ahead and made the first iteration of hordes for the server. The way hordes will work for now is as follows:

- Everyone on the map has a small chance to have a group of 5-10 zombies spawn near them (within 50-100 meters). Once every hour the spawner will select one random person on the map to receive this gift of zombies. They will be placed a decent enough distance from you that it gives you a chance to evade also.

- Every person who goes to any named village, town, city or military base will have the chance of the zombie horde spawning near them. The zombie horde spawns once every 4 hours and 4 hours after every server restart but spawned zombies are not persistent and get wiped on each restart as well as on each horde spawn event. The more people that go to a location the higher the chance of a zombie horde, due to the increased sound, gunshots etc from that location. So basically staying in groups now brings its own perils. As an example, if there are 10 people on the server and 6 of these people are in Severograd, 3 of them are in Vybor and 1 of them is in the middle of nowhere, then the guy in the middle of nowhere only carries the risk of the small group spawn and not the horde, the remaining 9 players will each be tested for location and proximity to spawn locations. Every spawn location that comes back as a match gets added to a list. So as in our example, we have 6 people in Severograd. So there is a greater chance that the horde will spawn in Severograd compared to Vybor where there is only 3 people. 

- The horde sizes are as follows:

Cities: 40 (Cherno, Severograd etc)

Towns: 30 (Stary, Vybor etc)

Villages: 20 (Lopatino, Kamarovo etc)

Military: 40 (NWAF, NEAF etc)

These scripts have already been made and are ready to be tested at some point soon. The spawn rates are all easily adjusted, so we will test to see what spawn numbers suit the server and offer the best balance between performance and zombie mayhem !!!

NEW FEATURES ADDED SINCE POSTING:

- A small randomized message will appear alerting you to the sounds of the horde in the distance.

- When the server pop goes above 70 players, hotspots will be removed from the potential spawning locations. The server will search for the areas where most people are together and remove those from consideration.

Also, for those of you wondering whats coming in the next month or two, I do plan to go back to Radiation after this horde mod is done. Plans for the next month or two are : Building prefabs, Hordes and Radiation.

Edited by Aeryes

I genuinely love this idea and have been wanting hordes for the longest time. Only issue I was worried about was performance and like we have already spoke about if performance won't be affected them I am so so hyped about this. Ever since this game came out I've dreamed about this day! I would LOVE for hordes to attack bases (providing people are online and in said base at the time) as it would bring some incredible RP, fun and danger to camps etc.

Good job with this Aeryes. Really happy to see what's going to be and fingers crossed things are fun and work out ok 😄

5 minutes ago, Saunders said:

I genuinely love this idea and have been wanting hordes for the longest time. Only issue I was worried about was performance and like we have already spoke about if performance won't be affected them I am so so hyped about this. Ever since this game came out I've dreamed about this day! I would LOVE for hordes to attack bases (providing people are online and in said base at the time) as it would bring some incredible RP, fun and danger to camps etc.

Good job with this Aeryes. Really happy to see what's going to be and fingers crossed things are fun and work out ok 😄

For sure. The values listed above will probably be changed as we get a better idea of what works for and against performance. The current values are low enough that they shouldn't affect much but we will change it if needed.

That is a lot of background stuff going on than I anticipated when I first read your suggestion thread.

What are the implications, performance-wise, of checking this much player information in the background on a regular basis?  Would it also mean guaranteed hordes every hour, and if so, what are the chances of it happening in the same hotspot place every hour as opposed to spreading the love around the entire map?

I'm excited by the concept of hordes, I just want to better understand how they might work in the way you've designed them here, with them being tied to player count and location, rather than physical map locations statically.  Interesting stuff Aeryes!

This would not work if implemented for the sole reason that zombies are still harmless if you arent stupid, you jump on a fence panel, fire one shot, 60 zombies swarm you, and then you take your time shooting them in the head one by one until there is none left. This would work if zombies could do environmental damage, but I doubt that will ever occur due to the fact it took BI 3 years to work out how to stop zombies clipping through every object in the game, cool idea in concept, but don't think it would work practically.

6 minutes ago, Peril said:

That is a lot of background stuff going on than I anticipated when I first read your suggestion thread.

What are the implications, performance-wise, of checking this much player information in the background on a regular basis?  Would it also mean guaranteed hordes every hour, and if so, what are the chances of it happening in the same hotspot place every hour as opposed to spreading the love around the entire map?

I'm excited by the concept of hordes, I just want to better understand how they might work in the way you've designed them here, with them being tied to player count and location, rather than physical map locations statically.  Interesting stuff Aeryes!

There is no notable performance decrease from reading the players information. For now there is a chance the horde could come back to the same location but it's not a massive chanve unless the entire server is in the same place. But I can easy add a check for this to make a place skip the next horde or two.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Aeryes said:

So, let me get this straight..

We can't remove the ping cap to allow players from the likes of Australia or even Europe depending on where you're from or how good your net is to play frequently without having to sit in a 30+ queue the majority of the night but we can add something like this that will most certainly fuck with performance both server side and client?

N o t h a n k y o u

Zombies are fine, cities have a lot and with the fact Suppressors don't actually work the threat is already there. Hordes aren't needed.

Also, for those of you wondering whats coming in the next month or two, I do plan to go back to Radiation after this horde mod is done. Plans for the next month or two are : Building prefabs, Hordes and Radiation.

Stick to the Building prefabs and radiation, that's what'll actually help peoples 'RP', they're also what we've been waiting on for a fair bit, so prioritise what's needed first. Cities and towns mentioned have more than enough zombies to be a problem if the person goes in guns blazing.

Edited by Mexi

Hordes are a cool idea.

However unless this script is fool proof, and I'm not doubting your prowess because I have 0 idea how to do this type of stuff but I worry.

Also how in the world would it check for the location? Dependent on loot or will every city have to have a zone around it?

It feels like they should be a rare thing, and not something that is chanced, because I for one don't want to see people complaining they just got swarmed with 70 zombies when they whitelisted 2 days ago.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, DeagleERP said:

Hordes are a cool idea.

However unless this script is fool proof, and I'm not doubting your prowess because I have 0 idea how to do this type of stuff but I worry.

Also how in the world would it check for the location? Dependent on loot or will every city have to have a zone around it?

It feels like they should be a rare thing, and not something that is chanced, because I for one don't want to see people complaining they just got swarmed with 70 zombies when they whitelisted 2 days ago.

It checks for location using vector math. They are a rare thing. They are 4 hours right now but can easily be made rarer if testing warrants it. 

Edit: I reduced the spawn amounts.

Edited by Aeryes

Vector math. Gotch ya...

dont know what the fuck that means but ok

In all seriousness though, I think that was the needed tweak. Other than that it serves as another thing that the server needs.

I wonder though if all the scripts of radiation and this will bog down the server but I don't think it will too much.

Keep up the good work

6 minutes ago, DeagleERP said:

Vector math. Gotch ya...

dont know what the fuck that means but ok

In all seriousness though, I think that was the needed tweak. Other than that it serves as another thing that the server needs.

I wonder though if all the scripts of radiation and this will bog down the server but I don't think it will too much.

Keep up the good work

They wont. Scripts like these arent near as intense as youd think. It's the entities that are the issue which is why I reduced it even further.

Im with @Mexi on this with what he put above. 

When we worked on Viridian it was with lore masters approval of a infected horde in Russia. Now we had an idea of an event that would mean staff spawning in infected but we waited on the idea due to server performance.

Id love to see infected hordes roaming about but until server stability is fixed i can only see this being a future feature to DayZ

As awsome as it would be seeing a horde come in, there is no way this could work with performance issues, not only server but client side as well for some players.

On top of that zombies are only a threat because they are glitchy and no one wants to fight even more glitchy zombies with a chance of getting gangbanged by invis or oneshot zeds.

Also, youre forgetting the number 1 variable here, Roland will never merge this to server with a risk of fucking it all up.

You can't test this unless it's on a live full cap server because we never have full test server.

Can we just remove zombies instead?

The idea sounds great, and I'd love to have it implemented.

I remember being at Camp Eden when a horde was spawned for an event, and seeing multiple dozens of zombies sprinting through the woods towards you is a slightly terrifiying thing, even with two dozen players in watchtowers playing turkey shoot with them using fully automatics.

Zombies are not a threat right now. /DayZ/ is a threat right now. Even with suppressors broken, you should never be killed by zombies if you execute basic simple planning. (IE: Get in a building first, then shoot them). The only time zombies are a threat is when you get glitched.

4 hours ago, Misho said:

As awsome as it would be seeing a horde come in, there is no way this could work with performance issues, not only server but client side as well for some players.

On top of that zombies are only a threat because they are glitchy and no one wants to fight even more glitchy zombies with a chance of getting gangbanged by invis or oneshot zeds.

Also, youre forgetting the number 1 variable here, Roland will never merge this to server with a risk of fucking it all up.

You can't test this unless it's on a live full cap server because we never have full test server.

Thats why we will adjust the spawn numbers until it works well. Say there is no way that this can work is a lie. With the right spawn rates and limited to only happening at certain times when the server isnt low or super high pop will help make it happen.

I just added a new feature to the list for those concerned about performance. When the server goes above 70 pop, hotspots will be removed from the available spawn locations. 

I'd love to see hoards tbh but then again when they do happen I somehow shoot friends...

2 hours ago, Mademoiselle said:

I'd love to see hoards tbh but then again when they do happen I somehow shoot friends...

The mod is already made heheheh. It just needs testing.

I don't like hordes... Unless i was taken hostage, then 40 zombies appear and start eating my captors! 😀

On 6/10/2019 at 6:24 AM, Mexi said:

-snip-

Zombies are fine, cities have a lot and with the fact Suppressors don't actually work the threat is already there. Hordes aren't needed.

-snip-

If suppressors worked, sure. But the fact engaging this horde, whether voluntary or involuntary, will bring every zombie and their nan knocking at your door has me at a huge yikes. 

Basically everything Mexi said.

Posted (edited)

Why are hot spots removed? Makes no sense. Hordes would go towards where the most people travel to and where the most noise is. 

Lower the player cap like the devs said and nothing will be unstable. 

Edited by Zero

22 minutes ago, Zero said:

Why are hot spots removed? Makes no sense. Hordes would go towards where the most people travel to and where the most noise is. 

Lower the player cap like the devs said and nothing will be unstable. 

Cities get removed when player cap goes above 70. Also, all horde get reduced by 5 zombies. I call it "Performance Mode" 😉

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Aeryes said:

Cities get removed when player cap goes above 70. Also, all horde get reduced by 5 zombies. I call it "Performance Mode" 😉

Performance mode is not going against dayz dev advice and not over capping and overworking  your servers just to fit more in for less money lol 

Edited by Zero

5 minutes ago, Zero said:

Performance mode is not going against dayz dev advice and not over capping and overworking  your servers just to fit more in for less money lol 

Mmmm. The big issues here are all out of my reach. I can only work now within the scope of what Roland allows me too, the ability I once had to let my creativity flow is no longer there. Lots of things have changed recently and it feels like the direction of our modding has also. It may be for the best if you either talk to the big man about your concerns or make a suggestion thread detailing your issues. I cant do much about what you describe here. All the server related things are directly handled by Roland.