Server time (UTC): 2020-01-24, 18:41 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Roland

Metagaming rule trial

This is very good. Definitely will help add to the RP. In fact me and my friends were already doing this. Kinda felt as though it was one of those unspoken rules of RP. 

Of course anything that affects a player negatively or makes them put more effort into something they are going to react negatively. I would say just get over the fact that the rule was added because all it does is promote RP. It might not be perfect but neither are other rules  

You can argue realism all day long but there are other rules in place that don’t make sense but they are here to promote R O L E P L A Y. 

Edited by Zero

2 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Not with the new rule bud If you don't have a radio you cannot communicate with your teammates so If I don't hear you screaming those callouts IG etc you can get banned.

Aw, now see, this makes more sense! I thought you just meant if you stumble upon a dead body of your enemy XD Yeah, the most silent firefight you ever heard where nobody talks, just shoots each other!

Game voip is fucked and bugs alots

And having item on you is a big -1

This will only lead to reports having less "video"

Well Yikes my ass Dropped all my radios.

It certainly has some downsides, such as complicating initiations due to the fact that there's no whispering. BUT I think the positives surpass the negatives; the amount of awkward conversations with awkward silences due to OOC comms I've had this year is pretty embarrassing. In the long run it's nothing but realistic and well-fit for RP imho 🙂🙂

I'm looking forwards to groups showing some initiative and coming up with code-phrases to drop for things. Like, you know. Actually roleplaying trying to organize an initiation around the victims instead of telepathically organizing it.

I like this change, it's extremely realistic. Still would like to see whispering, normal speaking and shouting added though. I would have wanted to not have to have a physical radio on me but if this is a must to have this rule in place to make things more realistic then I'm all for it. Will also be nice to see what code words etc that people come up with rather than things being telepathic. I was already using a code word when getting held up as I already and have always done this in game anyway 😛 

The idea and purpose of this rule is noble, but the wording and reasoning are bad. I know vaguely what caused this rule to change, but it brings up a broader question. @Roland are all the rules as they stand now quality, or do you think we need to tweak more rules/enforcement to improve the rp?

2 hours ago, Finn said:

Can't we just walk away and say "*Whispers into the radio*"? Its pretty unrealistic to just say out loud "Oh yeah, let's take this guy" when someone in their right mind could easily whisper into a radio.

I think if you're behind walls or beyond 10 meters you shouldn't have to double mic.

Good luck, people will gobble that up OOC’ly and their guard will go up wether they “heard” it or not, no matter what is attempted here it won’t work. 

Would be nice though, I’d like to see this kind of thing work but there are too many variables within the community for it to function in the manner it was intended. 

What sparked the rule change? I felt like everything was going fine the way it was. I’m generally curious 

6 minutes ago, Diamond said:

What sparked the rule change? I felt like everything was going fine the way it was. I’m generally curious 

The catalyst might have been this appeal/report, as this came about shortly after.

Ah yes the good ole 'i had duct tape around my ptt' when people "double mic" with their hands up.

Stellar, a true classic rule that is totally enforceable and is the epitome of fair play..

I can live or die with the rule, its whatever. But the 'must have a radio on the player' as an actual item is just 💤

Shame we cant see the poll results, but its w/e, we'll see how it goes during this trial I suppose.

46 minutes ago, California said:

Ah yes the good ole 'i had duct tape around my ptt' when people "double mic" with their hands up.

To be fair, if I put the in game radio on my backpack and turn it on, even if I have my hands up in game VoIP will still transmit, so in theory, it is better to use the in game radio to tell your friends where you are since A, its not meta'd info on TS, and B, they can hear your voice and others around you in game, giving away positions, locations etc. 

Hhahahahaahahahahahahahaha you need a radio in ur inventory wtf hahahahhahaa

I dont know how I feel about this. 
Also, make radios free on the item shop and with a small cooldown. I know you spawn in with one, but still, if this is gonna be enforced they better be easy to get / find again if you lose it. 
To me, this idea is like communism...sounds good, doesn't work, but I could be wrong 😫

I've personally never liked this rule.

I've always found it clunky and strange, as there are plenty of times I have been next to people in real life and whispered into my baofeng to my teammates, without the other party being the wiser. Ultimately, I'll give it a chance again, but I believe I'll still vote no when the next poll comes up.

Call me stubborn, but I think that sometimes it's best to not force people to transmit what they're saying when in a situation like this, and I can already hear the people in discords complaining about people using their shitty accents while talking.

It doesn't sound bad. But I think we all now that there will always be people breaking this rule. It's been happening since the start of DayZRP and I don't think it will change much. 
However I'm happy to see the staff team taking a step towards improving it. 

Hopefully this won't end with shitty reports about metagaming. 

I agree to these rules. with radios a good practice is to let your friends know ICly that you will be broadcasting at certain times so that you can stay in contact without having to use discord to do it. for example "hey Kevin, I will be broadcasting at sundown on 86.5 check in with me then for updates" its not terribly hard.  actually it's pretty simple.  when hunting I might tell a friend to turn on their radio in 15 minutes for a brief update and wait till i hear them go "Jess... Jess..." it's very common practice to repeat until transmission is received by the respondent on the coordinated frequency, as annoying as it can be it actually is very helpful...
in terms of the frequencies used our radios use Very High Band broadcast/VHF, which is really reliable up to certain distances. since most probably wont exceed the range of the radio 
its really just common sense to use it accordingly. 

in terms of "double mic" it seems reasonable to transmit basic information as long as you have a short wave radio, if you don't then please keep that info until you get back to your friends. 
in terms of bases it's pretty much common sense not to share that info but alternatively ingame there is no way your character would actually know any of this. it's really simple logic... 
an RP excuse for "doublemic" could be the use of morse code or radio with sideband capability which has been used for years now.  

in terms of text rpers they are at a significant disadvantage as it is. so allowing them to use discord in instances like that is very fair. 
an "I'm dead" call out may mean that you are bitten or about to die. if your character has been taken down by the hoard then you would not have any memory of that situation thus it's no longer applicable. 
anyhow this is just how I understand it.  
big thing I gather from this is preserve other's immersion and cherish it. there is nothing worse then having someone drop character and say "well.. i'm just going to go OOC to tell you... (insert random string of complaints or here)" 
these rules are simply there to preserve immersive quality 🙂  

Edited by Pepper

Don't like it, to put it plainly.

games buggy and unreliable, This just makes things more complicated without adding anything.

Good RPers already do this, I've ran into plenty people doing this before the poll was even put up.

It really doesnt change anything except adding more reports to the forums, and i guarentee 80% will be false or unable to be proven.
My character doesnt talk much when he's with the group because he's mostly there for muscle, He occasionaly chimes in but the others give the spiel on what where doing.
So am I gonna be reported for bad RP because my character's not a big talker?

Not even to mention how much of a nightmare this seems for text RPers

Also this adds another reason for DayZ to be Happy, Peaceful, Funtime where nobody is any danger ever because they'll just start booking it because your basically saying
"Hey lets rob this guy" out loud because of the new rule.

TLDR - This isnt necessary, good RPers do this anyway, Pointless/False reports central

Edited by Larry

Can we get the ability to whisper? Because I mean without it, this seems like a lot of aids. I'll do it for the sake of not getting slapped with a ban, but also I'd rather not.

I'm just wondering if they ever fixed the radio item voip bug?

The damn thing used to randomly transmit even when it was off, without a battery. Even when you dropped it if you turned it once sometimes it still registered as if you had it. Kinda why I don't trust carrying one. The rule things fine but I'd rather not have half the people hearing my conversations in game just cus they have a radio in their inventory.

I’m not gonna lie I’m pretty hyped about this rule

ts the way it always should have been 

it’s too bad we can’t have task force radio or whatever those mods were in arma I was told about

8 minutes ago, Otto said:

I'm just wondering if they ever fixed the radio item voip bug?

The damn thing used to randomly transmit even when it was off, without a battery. Even when you dropped it if you turned it once sometimes it still registered as if you had it. Kinda why I don't trust carrying one. The rule things fine but I'd rather not have half the people hearing my conversations in game just cus they have a radio in their inventory.

No no, you don't ever need to turn it on. This is a roleplay server we just pretend.

I think it's interesting, but I'd really prefer a whisper or if emoting *mumbles silently into radio* would cut it...

Given we're gonna need to use broken ass voip to double mic in potentially crowded areas just adding to the cancer that is more than two people talking at once...