Server time (UTC): 2019-09-17, 01:31
Sign in to follow this  
Roland

Metagaming changes

Metagaming rule change  

212 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

Kinda how the rule was like a year ago (or more) right? I mean I'm not gonna lie it makes sense but everyone I've talked to really didn't like it, and I think this can be classified as one of those rules that were added for a select few and actually hurt the server in the long run.

Edited by Squillium

Yes please. I'd love radios to be tangible items like the ones in game instead of RP radios, and I am not really a fan of all this telepathic communication either, so I am down for this.

The idea isn't horrible, but in my opinion would just complicate things and make communication very annoying. I just don't want to deal with more rules I have to carefully remember in chaotic situations

I'm all up for using the actual ingame radio as the roleplay radio, however the use of double miccing just seems a bit overkill.

Posted (edited)

I 100% agree.

The issue becomes trying to prove someone using a third party app. However, I do like the new rule change as it sits.

One question to clarify though (And its regarding a report that has an appeal open, so I understand if it can't be answered until that is closed): This new ruleset seems to remove the requirement that the information be used in order for it to be metagaming. 

I frequently log into a discord and shoot the shit with players either on game or out of game on a purely OOC level, including if I'm being robbed and such. Not in the interest of getting backup, just to laugh about it while I'm unable to really do anything in game. Is it still metagaming if there is no change to the situation from it happening?

EDIT.: I am also perfectly fine with the requirement to have a physical radio also being removed. That part doesn't matter much to me.

Edited by Rover

Remove this part - 'Using OOC communication is only allowed when you have personal radio item equipped on your character.'

And I'd be fine with it.

Posted (edited)

The only thing I've not happy with is 'Using OOC communication is only allowed when you have personal radio item equipped on your character.' - If this part is deleted I'm down. In my opinion if you're speaking over a radio people in game should hear you too, more realistic and I already do this anyway.

Edited by Saunders

So if I'm in a fight I have to double mic everything I saw to everyone in my comms? 

Gonna go ahead and just -1 all of that. I think the metagaming rules are fine.

Not a fan of requiring the actual in game radio hence -1.

If you remove that part I will change it to a +1

Yes, obviously. Can't think of any RP community that doesn't do this, its fair play and will bring more RP.

Posted (edited)

Generally in favor of this, but to add:

Double mic should only count or be relevant as soon as you are either:

a) fully aware (and vice versa if applicable) of third parties or other players not in your group being around and / or

b) have to expect other players to be potentially within hearing range, or that those could enter hearing range with a high chance (being in big urban hotspots with less or limited visibility

Doing it all the time doesn't seem necessary, or rather, who would (be able to) report it anyway if it was solely between you and your pals? As addendum I think it should also be fine to "whisper" if all parties can realistically assume you are out of IC hearing range while you may not be technical-wise, but that is perhaps another cup of coffee or tea.

Edited by Combine

1 minute ago, Hex said:

So if I'm in a fight I have to double mic everything I saw to everyone in my comms? 

Gonna go ahead and just -1 all of that. I think the metagaming rules are fine.

that is also a fair point. The way DayZ works with voip is talking quietly or whispering is literally impossible. No matter how quiet you talk it will still project the same distance as if youre yelling. If you are inside of a building during a fight hiding, everyone outside will hear you. This just isnt a good idea in dayz

IC radio seems a tad too much strictness. But everything than that, I give a big thumbs up!

In a coms of 10+ people, all double mic at the same time would literally cause deaths to your ears. -1 

And the idea of having an in-game radio is also a big -1 

Just now, Roland said:

This is a role play server. Why are firefights where you call out positions OOC the first thing that comes to your mind 😄 

Because it's the only time the rule is really relevant and important.

It's a theory vs practicality thing. It's annoying af and not fun to have to double mic when you're worrying about people shooting at you.

if you can use the radio stick on the backpack yes, if you must take the radio into hand no

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Roland said:

This is a role play server. Why are firefights where you call out positions OOC the first thing that comes to your mind 😄 

When we roleplay our great slave trade and all hell breaks loose if that occurred I think he meant. We all know the RP situations wouldn't affect this rule but if a firefight occurred remembering to double mic at the same time would be hard.

Edited by RavenousRP

Yes please.

Finally. 😄

Thanks Rolle! ❤️

1 minute ago, Roland said:

Because being in character all the time is not the easiest thing to do?

Honestly i dont really have issue with the whole thing, but how reasonable is it to enforce such things? How will people know any of this new level of metagaming ( Where people are speaking through OOC coms and relaying IC information ) without video proof? Without a program to monitor or regulate, its literally impossible.

I think this is a good change that will overall add to the quality of RP and realism on the server.  I already do this and RP with people who do and it creates some really cool RP situations.  It's not hard to do and I feel the only real argument not to do so would be that it provides a PVP advantage.

4 minutes ago, Squillium said:

Because it's the only time the rule is really relevant and important.

It's a theory vs practicality thing. It's annoying af and not fun to have to double mic when you're worrying about people shooting at you.

Pretty much agree with this, the rule is fine as it is

Dont think you should have a radio on you to talk on an ooc level but i cant get around the idea of double micing cause its realistic. 

Actual physical item in your inventory is a little meh for me, I could take it or leave it. I don't think radios spawn that often though, correct me if I'm wrong. Could leave people in a bind for multiple days if they can't find one while they loot, and I don't necessarily think that's fair either. 

The double mic thing is a yes from me. I already do this. And if I have a radio in my inventory, I usually put it in my hands when I do so. It just makes sense.