Server time (UTC): 2019-06-18, 09:55
Sign in to follow this  
Aeryes

Appealing metagame

Posted (edited)

Link to the source of punishment (report/post):

Why the verdict is not fair:

3.5 Metagaming is an situation where Out Of Character information is transferred in game and changed into In Character information, despite there being no realistic way of characters gaining this information. For example, your character knowing someones name because you used the games "Check pulse" feature, or you sharing information after your character has died, is unconscious, surrendering (F2 animation), handcuffed or have had your radio taken away.

The current rules clearly state that meta-gaming “is a situation where Out Of Character information is transferred in game and changed into In Character information, despite there being no realistic way of characters gaining this information”. In my report I, in my opinion did not have my radio taken from me because I was not restrained in any way and my radio was sitting at my feet in my clothing, to add to this the aggressors did not ask me to drop my radio. When I went onto Discord I told the people there that I was getting 5 second robbed and that I would be reporting it, as you can clearly see later on in the video around the 3:30 mark I turned off all forms of communication because my intent was not to metagame. I even turned of my music as well as muted discord so I could focus on the situation. This clearly shows that the information provided was not used IC or turned into IC information. The two people in the discord were GreenySmiley and SquirtleKitty and they were on the other side of the map at the time and obviously did not respond to the situation because they were not involved. You can look at position logs to verify this information. I did not tell them anything other than the fact it was a 5 second robbery and that I was going to report it. It was out of pure frustration if anything and certainly not a malicious intent to meta-game. To add to this there was a few points in the video such as that at 2:41 where the man who handcuffed himself turned the other direction and the man with the gun walked inside the house, this would have given me a chance to pick up my radio and start talking. I also could easily have stepped on the PTT button at any time because it was right at my feet.

Also I would like to ask, this verdict leads me to believe that I can not communicate with people on Discord even if they do not plan to use the information on an IC level. Is this true? The information I provide was not IC information. I only mentioned the fact I was 5 second robbed and that I planned on reporting it.

I think that realistically you would be able to use your radio if it is within arms-reach of your person. In my case, the radio was within arms-reach of me and this would have allowed me to communicate through it especially given the fact that I had many opportunities to pick it up or press the PTT button.

I think it is worth mentioning that one of the Game Masters handing out the verdict, Onyx, just stated on Rolles suggestion thread that he does not support the very thing he and 2 others banned me for, metagaming due to having no radio item in a hostile situation. So it seems that there is a lack of clarity when it comes to what is and what is not metagaming with radios.

Untitled.png.35f110c9839227a38ab5e5e2db5cceb5.png

Link to the thread of Rolles suggestion: 

3.1 You are required to role play your character at all times while in game. No OOC events communication may take priority over your role play. You are not allowed to ignore other players attempts to role play with you.

3.7 OOC communication should only be done through text chat and only when absolute necessary. You may not use OOC chat to casually chat with other players in game. Use the "//" prefix to indicate OOC text communication.

I understand that my OOC was not needed but at the same time it was not excessive. I only posted one OOC thing in this situation. I do agree that it was not needed but I do not agree that it was excessive. I would also like to point out that my OOC did not take priority over the RP in this situation. The OOC was rally out of annoyance.

Additional statements/comments explaining your point of view: NA

What would you like to achieve with this appeal: Points and ban removed for metagaming.

What could you have done better?: NA

Edited by Aeryes

Greetings, 

The punishment was correct. You were taken hostage and were forced to drop your gear. They attempted to handcuff you, but the guy did not understand how handcuffs worked so he did it to himself. You did not have a radio on you at all as it was on the floor. Without a radio you cannot broadcast a message anywhere, unless you can do it telepathically and your radio was not in your inventory, but was on the floor. At the end of day, you tabbed out to tell the others that you were being robbed. That was meta gaming. 

Also, the fact that you put //See you on the forums was not the best idea either. You are a staff member and you decided to meme in game. There was no need at all for you to do this other than to take the piss out of the situation. Don't do it again. 

With that said, appeal denied. 

Signed by myself & @Roland