Server time (UTC): 2019-07-20, 08:40
Sign in to follow this  
Sheep

Creating a Economy

Should we Create Traders ect? (Please Comment reasons why Below not just vote)  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

Hello,  Apologies for spelling / grammar!

I have been with the server for a very long time, and in that time my most enjoyable part was when we went with epoch back in the mod days. As I feel it created a new dynamic and goal within the game to be rich and have money ect. It also increased the amount of trades that happened and friendly player interactions but even gave slaves more value.

So my idea is to add some form of currency in the game (i've heard money is in but I have never seen it). In the past groups have tried to make 5.56 ammunition some form of currency but unfortunately these will never succeed as you have nothing to really gain as only a select few player will agree to the value of 5.56 .

How do we make it stick and make people want to save some form of money, well you as a server have to create it's value be that making a Trader/NPC not a powerful one maybe only that only sells food/drinks or car parts no weapons or clothing ect ect. If this area is protected or not is up for discussion I don't think it should be as that will just increase campers in my opinion.  

Lets Break it all down

Choices of Currency - 

Option 1 - Notes - With notes it's pretty standard you can loot them in say residential buildings or on the infected (gives you a reason to actually go clear areas off the infected and makes them worth looting).  

861811210_ScreenShot2019-06-03at8_04_49PM.png.756ef225c171ddd6763b2c1b700d4612.png

Option 2 - Copper Coins - This is my preferred option for a currency as the same with notes it can be looted but not as often. Also I think it would be really cool to find copper ore in some of the mining buildings or in streams with the small rocks. Maybe even give the picaxe a role and have it be able to mine in the quarry but I reckon being able to mine will be difficult..... But with the ore you put it in a fire barrel and then create the coin OR you have it turn into copper Bar and then you can use the Hammer and turn it into the coins. (this could in the future be expanded by crafting ammo with mold ect but thats dreaming)

748303525_ScreenShot2019-06-03at8_39_15PM.png.a1d6ac4ecefd0b28f42caae9314dc828.png  869838915_ScreenShot2019-06-03at8_36_59PM.png.68bc6e9dd93284a1fcaaca0dad123ab9.png

Choices of Trader Locations - I personally feel these should NOT be safe areas.

Option 1 -  So the most ideal option but I feel it is currently impossible in the game, in my opinion is to have a couple of NPC walking around the map be that through hiking paths on main roads all over the place and each server reset their path is different this in away is to reduce camping on the trader and make it feel immersive. But I don't think this is possible as it requires alot of work to make happen! 

Option 2 - Kinda like the first option but without the roaming around, so we design different stalls in locations be that at, camp sites or general stores ect and then say only have 2 out of say 20 appear each reset kinda similar to how helicopter crashes work. Again this will hopefully reduce camping and make it fun to go and find the traders. I feel this is slightly more possible but never really looked into it. 

Option 3 - This is the most common which is to create a 1 or 2 hubs (Maybe one South and one North) for trading these are good and bad as it increases camping and ambushes, but it does create good locations for RP as all players will flock to them. 

Choices of Trader Merch - 

First off this would take a long time in setting prices on items to be balanced, I know im happy to sit with spread sheets and CVS to match it all up.

So when it comes to loot it can be very difficult as you do not want lots of high end loot ect. So maybe im thinking you allow the trader to sell food / drinks / car parts / building supplies / maybe abit of ammo and possibly some tools ect. The reason why I think these items will work is everyone finds cars that need that one part and having a trader somewhere in the map that will have say 2 spark plugs (Oh yes I feel that should have a limited stock) until server restarts and have there merch be random within a selection of items. 

As for weapons I don't feel they should sell them maybe weapon accessories ect. BUT I think it would be cool to have a barrel where a player can put items in and sell to the trader that will then appear for sale in the shop at a higher cost so a player could for example sell a M4 get 100 Copper Coins but then the trader will resell that m4 at 150 copper coins for another player to buy but will disappear at restart. And say have a engine spark plug worth 400 copper coins ect ect. 

There is probably alot I have missed and not thought about please discus below and I will attempt to add options and disadvantages to the text above

Edited by Sheep

Posted (edited)

You think bandit mcsrubs wants to buy anything you have? Or do you think somone would trade an AK w/drum mags for 500 papers and when he asks the next guy they say, "Fuck that, I want somethin' other then paper." As much as I would love it, I don't think it can happen. Dayz has always been a material trade base game, material being anything you can perforate another being with. Not saying don't try it though, by all means I would do it if someone did it.

Edited by BillyR

Posted (edited)

I'd be down to having  some NPC traders set up somewhere, it's something I really like on a bunch of other servers I play on.

Edited by Mak

Having traders would be dope

Work hard and buy some stuff would be cool 

+1

I promise I will try to keep this sweet, as i've discussed this before. 

Long story short... you simply cannot have an economy based in a system where things can spawn. 

Inflaition is a very real danger and, even if currency was fixed, items sure as hell arn't. 

Go 2km from any point on the map and in that 2km radius you can find 95% of the game's items (Unless you are smart arse and pick skalisky or something)

So sure, currency in game for RP purposes is ok... but it'd never work as a system as frankly , the value of that currency would be so unstable it'd make Venezuela look like a decent economy...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to be positive, I'd personally love to see currency work. And in turn I will once again add some stipulations in to make such a currency semi stable: 

-Have the item cap flags for this currency include all possible flags (on the ground, in tents, on players ect ect) so that way there is always a finite ammount of currency in the game (+/- a few 100 maybe?) 

-Shunt the rarity of items to certain areas (Just as mili CAN be found anywhere, but is much more likely to be found at NWAF) E.g: Industry stuff most likely found in cities with docks, fresh food most likely to be found in towns / cities with farms nearby etc etc. This would allow for traders to actuall have a reason to trade (I.e. why would a guy spend 1000 ruples on a some pumpkin seeds... if he can go find some after a 20 minute loot run? Now if those pumpkin seeds were much rarer in the west, and can only be found reliably in the east... then boom... trade routes...)

Once again, sorry about the borderline wall'O'text... but I really want currency to happen / happen well before I come back after the summer's over 🙂 

I believe some kind of currency system will definitely be implemented at some point, but I really hope AI traders are never added to the server. It will only result in mountains of salt after someone grinds for hours to get something from the trader only to be robbed immediately after leaving the trade post.

Currency systems that have been agreed upon IC I'm all for.

AI traders? No. If you want a server like Epoch, I'd suggest playing one. We're here to RP, trading amongst other things is apart of the RP that allows for items to flow. AI traders remove that and just turn this community into literally an A3L level server.

-1 for AI traders.
+1 for a currency that can actually be used amongst players.

+1 for a realistic form of currency or miscellaneous precious items to be added.

I prefer the barter system but even I have to say that I thought some form of currency would be nice to have. Now, I wouldn't say anything like paper notes (legal-tender) but something along the lines of precision metals and gem stones. Or various items such as gold ring, diamond necklaces, pearls, etc, I am sure someone would trade jewelry for supplies.

-1 for AI traders.

I would never want AI traders, as this is a roleplay server, the whole purpose is to interact and engage in creativity with others.

I dont think there should be a form of economy created on an ooc level, if you want to have a form of currency push for it ingame within communities.

Also a big no for AI traders because that takes away from roleplaying with other people and trading, AI would just stand there and make no realistic sense.

The problem with having a specific currency is that it's not all that plausible. It's a survival world and what has value is what is in need. Keeping it to trading for what is needed provides a lot of RP. The last few days my fiends and I have met numerous people simply by having items someone has need for, and in return we often ask for what we may need. This way as well there's no hoarding of the 'currency' and making it rare for anyone to find. Gotta take RP for the opportunities it gives you. So no from me for a set currency and definite no for any kind of AI trader.

Tried that. Failed horribly. If someone else could give it a go, then +1. 

1 hour ago, BreadERP said:

Tried that. Failed horribly. If someone else could give it a go, then +1. 

yarp

Not a fan of money. Currency IRL is a government's debt extended backed with their gold reserve which is what most of our currency is based off of. That and other raw resources like oil and natural gas. So paper currency doesn't mean shit in the apocalypse, because what is backed by it? Nothing if use, to be honest.

I think ammunition, rare goods like marijuana, alcohol and other things of the nature should be currency still because at least they have a use for the everyday survivor.

No matter if paper is worth shit or not in the wasteland, but i seen people trying to turn ammo in to a currency metro 2033 style. Or turn the new ciggrates in to a currency. but people 9/10 times want something they can use. And trading happens on the spot. 

Posted (edited)

We already have money in the game in terms of roubles, stacks of roubles to be exact.

These stacks of cash stack up to 100, each individual cash item representing 100 Roubles.

This means a stack of 100 cash items is 10.000 Roubles.

If you carry a wallet with 2 full stacks, that will take up a grand total of, you guessed it. One entire slot in your inventory, and with these 20.000 roubles you will be able to buy decent amounts of common things for your daily survival needs, but even so there are also plenty of weapons below 20.000 roubles that one could afford should they want to buy it.

If you want something bigger like an AK however, we're talking around 20.000 to 25.000 roubles depending on which event trader it is, and that in terms of cash is 2.5 stacks which is easily manageable and able to be carried.

Does this mean players are gonna carry cash and use it to trade with eachother?
Not necessarily, but if more people knew what value the roubles item had, perhaps they would try to carry it more, I've personally traded roubles for items with other players in the past, and it has usually been well received.

If you are interested in trading using the money we have in the game, take note of what items cost what when you attend the event traders, it might give you an idea what certain items are worth, and how much the rouble is worth from a lore perspective.

Edited by Ducky