Server time (UTC): 2019-06-16, 09:48
Sign in to follow this  
Shanoby

To Devs: HUD mod

Posted (edited)

I like to play very immersive and even before patch where DayZ devs fixed the issue when you turn off hud you can still see prompts which is great.

The current problem still persist and that is, when you turn off HUD you cannot see text chat. I love playing without HUD, but when people emote or type OOC stuff I tend to miss it cos I forget to turn my HUD back on for RP scenario and cannot see text chat.

Is there even a way to do it and if so, that would be lovely 🙂

TLDR, EDIT: so HUD off, but Text Chat would still be visible.

Edited by Shanoby

Actually a very good point, I enjoy doing it at moments when I'm alone. I think chat should still be visible for sure though. Never know when someone might stab you in the back in chat.

This would be a complete waste of development time for a tiny minority.

If you want to see text chat, put your HUD on, simple. 

14 minutes ago, JackZRP said:

This would be a complete waste of development time for a tiny minority.

If you want to see text chat, put your HUD on, simple. 

If you have something against me that is fine I guess.

But saying and deciding that my suggestion to Devs is a "complete waste of time" is just insulting and pretentious.

You do not know how hard/easy it is to create that mod. That is why this suggestion was directed to Devs like title said.

If you feel that was an insult my friend then you are massively mistaken

It is a waste of development time, they could be spending time developing things that would actually make the community more enjoyable to play

Wouldn't be bad to squeeze it in, though it wouldn't really affect me because I play with my HUD enabled.

41 minutes ago, Shanoby said:

You do not know how hard/easy it is to create that mod. That is why this suggestion was directed to Devs like title said.

Not my business how you go about suggesting things but if you only wanted dev responses, why not DM them instead or whack it in the suggestions channel bro?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Bot Elmo said:

Wouldn't be bad to squeeze it in, though it wouldn't really affect me because I play with my HUD enabled.

Not my business how you go about suggesting things but if you only wanted dev responses, why not DM them instead or whack it in the suggestions channel bro?

Cos it is easier and more convenient than looking up Devs one by one and PM them.

Im bad at forums, I would not even know if there is list of all the devs somewhere on forums... thats why I added title "To Devs:" just like I have always done.

Also no more OT from me 🙂

Edited by Shanoby

1 minute ago, Shanoby said:

Cos it is easier and more convenient than looking up Devs one by one and PM them.

Im bad at forums, I would not even know if there is list of all the devs somewhere on forums... thats why I added title "To Devs:" just like I have always done.

There's a suggestions channel in the discord you can use, the devs check it and it has a convenient format for suggestions. Maybe something to keep in mind for the future 🙂 

I guess we'll wait for what devs have to say but that would be a NO from me. I don't want chat to be still visible after turning off your HUD because I enjoy it for making clean (HUDless) screenshots. They'd look ugly with that big text chat in the left corner of the frame. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Tewudin said:

I guess we'll wait for what devs have to say but that would be a NO from me. I don't want chat to be still visible after turning off your HUD because I enjoy it for making clean (HUDless) screenshots. They'd look ugly with that big text chat in the left corner of the frame. 

Yeah well I was hoping maybe add another like option rather than rewriting the "HUD-less" option.  Cos I also enjoy HUD-less screenshots.

Again, no idea if possible.

EDIT: cos there is that button on keyboard, next to nr.1 no clue what it is called. That currently lets you cycle between NO-HUD, HUD and Quick-bars. Was hoping for another there.

Edited by Shanoby

Just now, Shanoby said:

Yeah well I was hoping maybe add another like option rather rewriting the "HUD-less" option.  Cos I also enjoy HUD-less screenshots.

Again, no idea if possible.

Huh. I mean, I'm no dev so again, we'd have to wait for them but if it was somehow possible to have both options (No-HUD and No-HUD with chat) then I don't see why we shouldn't have option like that. Then again, it all depends on what is a priority for our devs right now. Otherwise I'd be against the idea because like I said, I love turning off HUD for making screenshots.

I'll see if it's a quick 'fix', but if I remember correctly, the chat "dialog" was a part of the HUD dialog. If that happens to be the case, one would have to modify the HUD and the chat quite a bit, which might cause issues with Bohemia's updates as seen with our custom chat length fix that had to be disabled for 1.03 because I didn't have the time to fix it.

So if it's a quick fix, then sure. If it's going to require major changes to some of the most vital systems to the game like the hud and the chat, I'm not sure if we want to risk delaying updates because of it.

This needs to be fixed and by default always show text chat, it becomes so awkward with people who have their text chat disabled sometimes. 

+1 I stream and it's nice to hide Hud and see text chat when it pops up

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2019 at 12:31 PM, JackZRP said:

If you feel that was an insult my friend then you are massively mistaken

It is a waste of development time, they could be spending time developing things that would actually make the community more enjoyable to play

It'd be an afternoon's work considering it's lack of complexity, chill bro. Then again it being linked to the HUD is a tiny bit of a hiccup on bohemia's end... 

Experience: Coding for analytical softwares to do with CFD and FEA CAD models, which includes changing GUI's, the HUD of the engineering world 😉 

+1 knowing how low maintenance it is (as long as devs know where to look)
-1 if it'd take more than a week. 

Edited by The Traveler

+1 I was just going to suggest this