Server time (UTC): 2019-09-24, 09:59
Sign in to follow this  
Deagle

New Base Building

After a lengthy discussion on the discord about the new base building, I'd like to share my opinions and suggestions and open this thread to allow many base builders and raiders to show their own on the new system.

My thoughts on the system:

Currently I believe it is a step in the right direction, however many fear that indestructible bases could happen inside buildings. This happens because outside walls are indestructible (take 27 hours to break) making the only entrance through a gate. Currently there is wire tricking which circumvents this. My opinion and suggestion is simple, keep it how it is but perhaps make wire tricking less viable by increasing the amount of time needed to remove a metal wire or possibly destroy it upon usage. This will make these bases a bit harder to make indestructible.
I also believe in the equal time approach to building: it should take you as long as it too you to plan and build a base to break in.

Just my opinions and suggestions though, what do you think?

But you can just... jump over the walls? Either by getting (multi)boost, using car, ladder or some other object.

With the new update I feel there's a bigger focus on using stuff to jump over the walls to raid, which makes a lot of sense to me apocalypse-wise.

Ladders were implemented so yeah...
and a cross?

Though I completely agree that owners should be in the defense and therefore be granted more perks than the attackers. As they put more time and energy into the base. I am not certain if this will help? That being said I gave up on building bases because the rules for them are still needing work, so I am not in the loop of what needs to be reworked.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

But you can just... jump over the walls? Either by getting (multi)boost, using car, ladder or some other object.

Unless bases are made inside houses, at which point doing that is impossible.

The way base building works now is people can make bases inside barns, factory buildings houses etc. They can make a gate so they can move in and out and when they log out they take the wire off making the gate now a wall. This means that there is now no way in other than breaking down the wall which takes 27 hours. The reason why I brought up the discussion on discord is that I already found a barn that was completely walled off, no gates with like 6 tents inside and a car. There was no way of getting in because they took the wire off so they just had an indestructible base.

What I suggested is to lower the timer to like 30 minutes, so that you could at least have a chance to break the wall and get in.

2 minutes ago, AndreyQ said:

Unless bases are made inside houses, at which point doing that is impossible.

The way base building works now is people can make bases inside barns, factory buildings houses etc. They can make a gate so they can move in and out and when they log out they take the wire off making the gate now a wall. This means that there is now no way in other than breaking down the wall which takes 27 hours. The reason why I brought up the discussion on discord is that I already found a barn that was completely walled off, no gates with like 6 tents inside and a car. There was no way of getting in because they took the wire off so they just had an indestructible base.

What I suggested is to lower the timer to like 30 minutes, so that you could at least have a chance to break the wall and get in.

Report it for abuse of game mechanics?

Posted (edited)

It's like Rust, it takes dumbass long to break in to a base with brute force, but with things like cutting the locks and jumping over, breaking into a base is possible easily. This makes sense. If a situation of abuse comes up where somebody locks themselves inside a house when they log out and break out when they log in, that kind of thing is reportable yknow? 

Or, on the other side, you could argue that IRL a person could construct a wall when they "sleep" and break ti down when they "wake up". So I see both sides. But it being against the rules makes more sense

1 minute ago, Eagle said:

^^^^

Edited by Whitename

Just now, Eagle said:

I made an inquiry about that particular issue a little while ago, I was told that it is not considered AOGM to do that.

@Roland perhaps with the new changes to basebuilding this standpoint may need to be revised.

1 minute ago, Bot Elmo said:

-snip

It should be it makes no sense that shit isn't.

44 minutes ago, Mugin said:

owners should be in the defense and therefore be granted more perks than the attackers

I agree with this. Perhaps (If possible) it would be cool to see more defensive items added for basebuilding. Like lets say spikes, small traps or whatever, just to even out the odds. 

10 minutes ago, Blake said:

I agree with this. Perhaps (If possible) it would be cool to see more defensive items added for basebuilding. Like lets say spikes, small traps or whatever, just to even out the odds. 

Maybe bringing back the tripwire that unpins a grenade? But that means bringing back grenades, throwing... story for another thread

Spoiler

barrel_barrier.PNG

Coming soon to a base near you. Among other things for base building and reinforcing.

Basebuilding always needs tweaking and balancing. Maybe we implement some high tier items that allow for easier entry at some point.

5 minutes ago, Misho said:
  Hide contents

barrel_barrier.PNG

Coming soon to a base near you. Among other things for base building and reinforcing.

Basebuilding always needs tweaking and balancing. Maybe we implement some high tier items that allow for easier entry at some point.

Looks real good, all it really needs is just that extra line of defense ppl will have to through, instead of just a wall of wood.

Posted (edited)

To be fair, people shouldn't be playing the server and consistently raiding said camps. This is what leads to people relocating, building, rinse repeat. It should be more oriented in RP. This is a DayZRP server, not Rust. I agree with the developers and the leadership of the server making it harder for players to raid bases. (Kudos to them)

My observations so far.

1.) RP has become "Rob People" rather than "Roleplay" just to get a negative impact or to force RP onto roleplayers.
2.) There has been constant abuse of rule 2.3, where players have been griefed to the point of submission or forced to build scummy bases (I know this as I personally am building one of these scummy bases for someone who is having a problem with this right now

HOWEVER.

1.) I believe hostile RP is necessary for the server to survive, BUT players that want to just shoot the shit out of everyone they meet, need to chill indefinitely.
2.) I believe these hard to raid bases, give players more incentive to play against these hostile groups and gives them a more fair chance, considering most players are camp-fire roleplayers not PvPers. Per instance. The time raided my base last night. I got 5 kills. Out of the 10+ people that were with me. Only 1, killed another. (This is what I'm talking about)

Edited by Joah

Regardless of how anyone looks at this.

Removing a wire from your door to make it a wall, because you know it will make it indestructable from the outside, effectively having no "entrance" should be considered AOGM, you are using an OOC barrier ICly.

Good to see people agree with me.

One more thing that I forgot to add, bugs.

Building has so many bugs that it make it quite difficult for both sides, however some exploits also seem to effect it.
I dunno, the build anywhere mod helped but it introduced a lot of issues.

34 minutes ago, Aeryes said:

I am solely focusing on base building at the moment. I am taking in a direction of established settlements which means bigger walls such as the one I posted in sneak peak. Ladders are countered by these new in progress walls. Right now, some things you see might not make sense, like fabric for example, it's not used in anything. But rest assured, it's there for a reason and will be used at some point.

I am so thankful that this is getting the attention it needs.
Keep up the good work.

My question is, what is the current ruling on raiding/breaking into bases when the group is offline?

I'm a little confused as I keep hearing two different times people are quoting that it takes to break into a base. Some say 27 hours, others say 2.7. The first is unreasonable, the second is more realistic, but not to short. It gives the higher risk that those in the base may 'wake up' or come back and discover the attempted forced entry, but we've never actually had an incident of someone breaking in, they usually go over, then break out and it takes very little time to deconstruct vs. destroying.

I know many of the people whom I hang out with have consistently been raided night after night...no biggy really as most people take what they need and keep the damage minor, we've only had one incident of serious griefing. We've usually figured out how folks are getting in and we've tried to improve on our base design over time. We haven't gotten to the point of building within buildings but I do understand why some do.

Frankly, the whole raiding of bases when no one is there kind of leaves me a little annoyed as it gives no opportunity to RP for what in truth, for us anyways, turns out to be very little that could have easily been traded for if contact was made and a great chance to RP with new people. I at times don't feel robbed for stuff (it's all easy to replace) but robbed of the interaction chance. Some better rules in regards to how bases are handled for those offline would be nice but I don't see how people would know this so understand why it isn't something currently in place.

I'd like to see more ways to set up base defences. There's very little in way of protecting your base, probably why some build in areas that can't be destroyed like inside buildings. Barbed wire although in game doesn't work and primarily is used to little. Smaller entrances other then gates where only a person can go through would also be a welcome addition.