Server time (UTC): 2019-09-15, 10:43
Sign in to follow this  
MatthewFC

Ping limit and those left behind

I'm trying to get into the server to play with the friends I made IC and failing at it, getting kicked while in queue for impossible high pings, and I've just read this response, that I felt was as tone deaf as it gets, and I'm baffled and somewhat angry.

Lets gets this straight: Many good RPers and longstanding members of the community have been prevented from playing or been subject to random RP-interrupting server kicks since the last patch because of some change in how the server treats high ping. Certainly something changed because, well, we were allowed here before...

I'll link a few complaints (I cant figure out how to link to single status updates):

I can only go into detail with my particular case: I live in Argentina. My ping with the server, which keep in mind I cannot check live because DayZ doesn't allow that, should be a more or less stable 250, even less usually. Nowadays I'm getting kicked from what I assume are lag spikes of 750-1000ms ping. And I can't for the life of me blame my connection. Check for yourselves, this is a test of my connection with a server in the NY area:

https://www.meter.net/ping-test/201921-145838-a6ba.html

I don't have the tools to figure out the cause of my kicks. Maybe long server queues cause lag to people like me, maybe I am subject to lag spikes that I didn't know of, maybe I am not. I have watched streams of people interacting with me IG, there has not been a problem. Voice communication is better than ever (invested on a new mic today just for that), movement is fluid, even the most minimal gestures like nodding are perfectly delivered to the people I interact with. I certainly cannot believe I, and other people like me, were the root of all server instability, but I guess we're a handy scapegoat.

I've invested a lot of time on this community, even money, and I wanted to see my story develop, but apparently I'm not welcome here anymore.

So... Please fix this? Either increase the server's tolerance for lag spikes, the server tolerance for ping in general, or just go back to how it was... So me and many others can go back to RPing like usual.

This new system pretty much fucks over anyone that is from the southern Hemisphere. Eg: Australia, me.
EU servers I have 350-400 ping, and US I have 250. Like 1 one lag spike and I am gonna get kicked.

Roland actually posted about this on another thread. I will link it below just incase you are yet to see it. I personally don't know if the server get's affected that much by ping spikes of certain players but I have no idea how the servers work so I'm not going to sit here and act like I know, I'm just going off what I personally feel ingame. 

https://www.dayzrp.com/forums/topic/97215-ping-kick-limit/?tab=comments#comment-1784696

16 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Roland actually posted about this on another thread. I will link it below just incase you are yet to see it. I personally don't know if the server get's affected that much by ping spikes of certain players but I have no idea how the servers work so I'm not going to sit here and act like I know, I'm just going off what I personally feel ingame. 

https://www.dayzrp.com/forums/topic/97215-ping-kick-limit/?tab=comments#comment-1784696

I had not seen that thread, so thanks for the link.

I hope everyone that is getting trouble with the current server settings voice their issues and, at the very least, we can settle on more inclusive settings. I hate being treated as if I am part of the trouble.

@Roland I think lots of changes like 80 players servers instead of 100 and a server wipe have benefited server stability, so keep that in mind before you pin all the credit into keeping part of your community out.

The ping limit/latency kick should absolutely be removed. The only thing I can see it causing is disruptions in the RP of the ones being kicked and the people around them.

Someone in the discord a day or two mentioned that they were kicked while restrained during a hostage situation, so their character died as a result due to how the game handles disconnects while restrained. That ruined the RP both for the hostage and for the takers. I guarantee this will only get worse and continue over time.

I feel this will only divide players from other regions instead of connecting them. The limit serves pretty well in keeping out bad connections from good ones to make sure people aren't relying on the server to keep them connected. The issue is directly as OP says.
Remove the ping limit. The limitation should not exist on where people can play from.

Please remove this limit. Last night me and @Phoenix both got to 1st in the queue only to be killed to the back because of ping.

This new limiter has done nothing but divide up regions on an already unstable game and stopping our activity as a group that comprises mainly of EU members

Removing this limit or adjusting how it handles 'spikes' is the only solution I can think of. As a player from the EU, I should have a relatieve stable ping on the US server. Not great, but usable. Still I also have been kicked 2 or 3 times the past week. I can already see how these kicks can result in some weird situations, since S1 seems to be filled at peak hours. Kicked players will be placed in the 10-20 queue and that could really interrupt a great RP session.

Those who are having issues with kicks, please run

Start -> cmd -> ping -t s1.dayzrp.com

Let it run for some time, cancel with ctrl+c to see summary. 

5 hours ago, Roland said:

Those who are having issues with kicks, please run

Start -> cmd -> ping -t s1.dayzrp.com

Let it run for some time, cancel with ctrl+c to see summary. 

ping.jpg.79eb345fa7fb69039acc402880316521.jpg

Been sitting here watching the entire thing. 99% of the times the ping reports are under 200, but it would occasionally dip to 800+ for a single report and go back under 200 for the next, just like this:

Reply from 66.70.180.229: bytes=32 time=187ms TTL=113
Reply from 66.70.180.229: bytes=32 time=807ms TTL=113
Reply from 66.70.180.229: bytes=32 time=188ms TTL=113

I made a more real world scenario test afterwards, with me watching Youtube on my cellphone and browsing the web randomly while it ran:

325921207_ping2.jpg.06a050c87dda1ff4a5dd5bf0767b6d79.jpg

Pretty much had the same results, only that the average was raised and the max usual ping (if we exclude the 1 report dips) were <250 rather than <200.

I live in America and I have fine internet, but there is also the occasional lag spike that sends my ping to 700, which gets me kicked in the middle of RP, then I would have to wait in a 30 person que for an hour, ruining the RP. This could go bad for combat also and i'm sure it's been happening to many people.

Also rip the Australians that literally are unable to play on the server.

Rolle be like: ‘fuck Australia’. 

I’m just curious to the reason why a ping max is set anyway? Is there really anything destructive about friends from down under having a spike here and there? Is it to prevent doxxing? What’s the reason behind it anyway?

I'm sure with some l33t coding @Roland could give it a limit? Like it if does it for 5-6 times in a row it then kicks them instead of just once/twice.

6 minutes ago, California said:

Rolle be like: ‘fuck Australia’. 

I’m just curious to the reason why a ping max is set anyway? Is there really anything destructive about friends from down under having a spike here and there? Is it to prevent doxxing? What’s the reason behind it anyway?

Servers in ArmA/DayZ have a tendency to slow down to the speed of the slowest client connected (network wise), which means that clients that lag make to a certain point the entire server feel laggy. Ping limit automatically disconnects clients that have ping over a set limit, so that the server doesn't have to cater to their slow speeds and unstable connection, improving the experience for the rest. That's the simple explanation.

2 minutes ago, JimRP said:

I'm sure with some l33t coding @Roland could give it a limit? Like it if does it for 5-6 times in a row it then kicks them instead of just once/twice.

No, maxPing is an internal built in feature into the server itself, it is handled within the exe and as such cannot be modded or even accessed.

Is this problem because of the new update and will it go back to normal when it becomes more "stable" or is this the new normal that we have a ping limit? The same can be said about the 80 player servers. 

We should see if the sever performance improves with this change first before we change it back to the other system. At least then we can see if it's worth it or not. 

Would it maybe be better to have S1 US and S2 EU... maybe better pings?

No. Would rather not have the community divided again over pings. 

24 minutes ago, Shanoby said:

Would it maybe be better to have S1 US and S2 EU... maybe better pings?

No that would divide the community. 

36 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

No that would divide the community. 

After 3 days of waiting in ~30 man que’s with my group and just having aussies drop.. maybe split servers would be nice to have a bit of a spread across EU and NA playtime. So it’s not juet everyone on S1

1 minute ago, California said:

After 3 days of waiting in ~30 man que’s with my group and just having aussies drop.. maybe split servers would be nice to have a bit of a spread across EU and NA playtime. So it’s not juet everyone on S1

I think it would be much better to either get rid of this ping thing or somehow raise the ping level so you don't get kicked for a spike. 

Reducing the server to 80 and giving it a wipe helped with the stability to now throw this ontop just means RP interactions are cut short by kicks

The ping limit does nothing good.
I dont think I've seen any sort of positive feedback from community members since this was introduced. 

In my eyes its very clear that the majority of the community does NOT want it.

Posted (edited)

Thing is it's not even just EU folks that get this issue. @BlazerPazer72 and @Spartancrg both live in the US, one East coast and one west coast, and both get kicked for high ping spikes pretty damn often. This is almost just the same as the server going down every 15 minutes the last update just now it takes even longer. Hopefully, someone will come up with something.

Edited by Coda852

Just sat in queue for about 30 minutes only to get kicked from a single lag spike. This is fucking stupid.

image.png.bc9ad8334c5ca2fb6951e24386ad41e3.png

I can also attest to this. I sit in que for 20 minutes and then get kicked for a 1 singular ping spike. Not to mention If I am in RP and get kicked for that single random tick of 501ms ping.

If we set the server pop for 120 again would that effect peoples latencys?  Also could we go a bit higher than 500, maybe like 6 or 7 as max to usher in more people on the cusp?  Or could we have one server as a 500 limit, then one as like a 1000 limit so that way we don't completely exclude those who lag?  They are just stuck with playing in the high latency server instead?

Just some ideas for some fixes