Server time (UTC): 2019-06-24, 16:35
Sign in to follow this  
Shikaka

Keep S2 Open?

Keep S2 Open?  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

So I've been playing again recently and I've noticed something. The servers are poppin' again and rp is picking back up since the updates. I've also noticed that s2 seems to almost never go down now since s1 is almost always full. Should we have s2 be opened up so we can reliably build bases on it? Yes there are pros and cons to each of these suggestions. Let's discuss them.

Please keep the discussions on topic and flame free.

Edited by Shikaka

I still say keep the current system to prevent the community to be spliced over two servers during less active times because some of them just want to loot.

I agree. I think we have enough server activity to warrant a second permanent server. As it is, people who have to join S2 because S1 is full can't really base build or do anything substantial, limiting the quality of the roleplay for fear of being locked out of a base or settlement.

I agree that S2 should be open alongside S1 since it does indeed seem we are receiving plenty newer members, and older members returning because of the latest patch, both Dayz and DayzRP devs, and are probably interested in what it can provide. It also helps how we have more vehicles about now, along with other mechanics such as crafting being implemented more and more into the game. That said, while I agree wholeheartedly with the proposal, we should also take note that doing so could cause the Loot tables to be run askew, and in such a chase, maybe change the current loot table to adapt to the changes.

*Shrugs*

Either way, it is a good idea, and simply I agree with it because honestly, the queue having to wait to get into server sucks, especially the late night when it is most active, so it would help stop bottlenecking RP for members if we had this up.

Yea.

I like the current system, it's nice to have one main server where you have the bases etc and one server that doesn't have all the big bases and tents etc. It also makes loot a lot easier to find which i like a lot. It's a lot better than having 2 servers that are the exact same. Ones the servers become stable again they'll move it up to 100 slots again and then it'll fix itself just fine. 

Here's why I disagree.

Most of the time when 2 servers were used there was S1 which was full and S2 which was empty.
People utilized S2 to do a few things but the main ones are: Looting and Traveling (in cars)
Now I'm not saying that's a bad thing, in fact it relieves the need of loot and makes RP the focus, but the server wasn''t used much for RP and more of a side server with nothing much to it.

Now I do see where you're getting at, the community is large right now and we might eventually need 2 permanent servers to access, but that will die off soon. The reason people are playing a lot and servers are filling up fast is due to the wipe. After about 2-3 weeks the population will even out and S2 won''t have anywhere near the amount of players it does now (highest I've seen is 60 on S2 on wipe day)

The current system is good, but it does need to be lowered so people can access S2 other than peak hours.

I think that current system is good enough. We don't need S2 being permanently open because why should we? It only invites people to go on S2 during down times to simply gear up and in order to avoid other people/have better chance of finding all the best loot they can. I say we leave it as it is, no point in trying to fix something that is working great IMO.

No.

The only reason shit is popping currently is because of the new update. Besides, S1 isn't full for long enough to justify keeping open what is essentially a looting server for most people. Within a week or two, the population will dip back down to normal levels.

Yeah, keep it open but with a small caveat, we all spawn naked, no loot spawns and you cannot leave your assigned campfire.

Honestly I agree with Game Memer @Onyx, give it a few weeks and see if the pop is still the same, then maybe consider keeping S2 open on a more permanent basis.

Posted (edited)

With the current server pop, the player queue reached 40 last night. It made it a 30 minute to even an hour for another just to get into the server alone. 

Keep S2 open until the numbers drop

Edited by -Chow-

I think the current system works perfectly fine and it shouldn't be changed for now.

Nah I think it fine how it is now 

Newp, keep as is. 

People mainly use S2 for gearing up anyways.

Posted (edited)

A definite downvote from me, -1 , I do not support this suggestion.

Why?

Server #1 is more so focused on player-to-player interaction. It's the main server, it's meant for the character and group(s) story development. By this I mean any form of roleplay and settlements (player-hubs).

Server #2 is for overflow, meant for the purpose of allowing players to still play until Server #1 has open slots again. No one wants to sit in a queue of 45 players, we all know what that was like in 2017. We had an open server, but people continued to join the full one, because that's where all the roleplay and group settlements were located.

There's very minimal pros versus cons, let me list the cons, I will let you figure out the pros, since it's self-explanatory.

Here's the major cons:

1.  Ghosting - Players who use S2 to their advantage to hop from S1 to flank an enemy's position or to bypass base fortification.
  2.  Looting -  Players who use S2, tend to use it for looting, since there's minimal storage and player-traffic through it. However, players may server-hop to loot the same area twice. Or more so, could loot-cycle with less risk of getting caught, than a populated server.
  3.  Travel - Players who use S2, to avoid roleplay because they know certain groups reside in a particular area, and they want to travel in peace.

Most of the information listed in these cons above, in practicality, are rule violations or frowned-upon if a player does this. 

• Ghosting  in any form is an abuse of game mechanics (AOGM), and is covered by Rule 2.5 . Ask yourself this before committing any action. Is it fair in the sense of roleplay for what you're about to do? Have a conscious. Don't think with the mindset of that fact you were able to get away with it on a Public Hive Server.
  • Regarding looting; Now, players can use S2 to loot, but if that's your primary focus, you are in a sense committing GearRP which is frowned-upon. As you place gear over your roleplay. Now, there are different variations of looting. If you loot-cycle, or server-hop to loot same area twice this is an abuse of game mechanics (AOGM). If you raid a base primarily for the sake of gear, this could be seen as GearRP, and again is frowned-upon. Even in some scenarios, Roland himself says you really shouldn't "alter" a base unless the inhabitants provoke you, but I believe this concept was over-looked a while ago. However, it is very easy to violate Rule 3.3 in regards to bases. You must ask yourself, is the damage (destruction of base objects, loot theft, removal of the tents & vehicles, etc) to a base sufficient enough for the in-character roleplay purpose? In the very least, just make sure you don't don't grief a base (see Rule 4.8).
  • Travel; Now, if you're someone who avoids roleplay in an indirect way, I can see this being frowned-upon, however, I do not think this falls under rule 3.3. If it harms anyone's roleplay, it's your own. Why? Because you're using S2 (or S1) to avoid potential hostile players, you see/hear in the distance. So you hop over to the other server so you can continue to travel with less risk of an encounter due to the lower population, or the fact you knew someone was there before you hopped.

I wanted to add one more thing, in-case you're new to the community, or are currently breaking the rules with the mind-set, you'll never get caught. Trust me you will, eventually! The staff team will never claim that they commit time & resources to spectate player activity and or the admin-logs but trust me, they do. Always pretend that whatever you do in-game in this community is being spectated by someone looking over your shoulder. That's Big-Brother, always watching.

I am happy to say, that admin-logs and admin-tools have drastically improved fairplay in 2019. Almost any form of ghosting, griefing, or AOGM can now have evidence gathered easily for a report without the victim's party to have direct evidence gathered by themselves. I will not go into detail of how this works, as I don't want players to look for work-arounds. So I will leave it at that.

If you play fair and are honest with yourself, you will do fine here. We're here to have fun. I guess you could say I could be a role-model; as I have 1400+ hours logged into this community during the last 2 years, without any warning-points. I say that with pride. It's not an easy task. There are moments, I myself, have struggled with the temptations of violating the rules, but don't. Whenever I am tempted, I tell myself that I have dedicated my time and money into this community as well as made many friends who I would like to enjoy continue speaking to. That's what communities have taught me. Friendship.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by CamoRP

6 minutes ago, CamoRP said:

-snip-

Tons of great points you put out. Along with everyone elses. Glad to see this discussion being talked about.

I prefer we keep the current system how it is as we already have at least one ghosting report. The last time we had an s2 up there was a gun-hoarding problem with people going on s2 just to gather guns. Maybe I'll change my mind after a longer test run.

I would like to add an additional comment. It was brought to my attention, credit for this goes to @The Marshal, is that he suggested we have no building on S2, during uptime. This, of course, is much further down the line for said server. That, in the instance someone wanted to build where someone or some other group already had, except on the opposite server. While the issue isn't a problem now, in the event that we do have both constantly up, we should make it so that either you cannot build on S2, or that the group, who has built there on S1, can also build on S2 at a later date. 

*Shrugs* Of course, that is all given if we have the two servers up constantly. Perhaps we should do that as a test for two weeks or so, in order to gather relevant data regarding how S2 is used. That was also pitched by The Marshal as an idea.

im a brand new player and played on S2 last night without realising that people see it as a looting server. I just didnt want to sit in a queue of 30 players waiting to get on S1.

I still had more RP and positive player interactions in the 3 hours i was on, on a 40 pop server than i have im my 4 weeks on Dayz in total. I voted to open them both up but only to remove the stigma of S2 being for looting

I'd prefer if we could get s2 to open up when s1 reaches up to 90% pop. Otherwise it causes so much mess on ghosting etc.

13 hours ago, Mademoiselle said:

I'd prefer if we could get s2 to open up when s1 reaches up to 90% pop. Otherwise it causes so much mess on ghosting etc.

I second that motion, Mademoiselle. That is a wonderful idea!