Server time (UTC): 2019-07-18, 03:35
Sign in to follow this  
DeagleERP

Progressing Research (Open Frequency)

Edgar takes off his bag and leans it against the wall, sighing he takes out the radio and looks out the window

"To anyone out there, my name is Edgar Moore, I'm an American researcher seeking to cure the infection. Over the last few days I've been collecting samples of the infection and am seeking safe refuge to conduct my research. It is very difficult to do this on the road and need a place with clean water and some electricity. I am willing to exchange weapons and ammunition for this. This is for the betterment of humanity.
May we find the solution to our troubles."

He sits down on the floor and takes a short nap, a storm brewing overhead.

*Boris would be playing card games with McLover and Bert when he heard the radio and decided to respond*

"Theres a big shop in Stary and they have alot of stuff and could probley offer some service"

"Its probley your best shoot right now"

"goodluck"

*He would go back to the card game*

Edgar wakes up from his nap to the sound of gunfire in the town

"I'll be there soon, gotta deal with some prick interrupting my sleep."

The radio is turned off and thrown into the back and onto Edgar's shoulders

Edgar takes the final sip of his canteen and puts it on the table

"To any survivor out there, my name is Edgar Moore. I'm a doctor and researcher stationed at the Vybor Airfield area in one of the bunkers.
My research is slow right now, but steady. However, word has it that there is a military base containing a lot of radiation and possible infectious spores. This place is highly dangerous and I can't make the journey by myself.

To anyone who is willing to go there, I am willing to pay in weapons, ammunition or information in exchange for samples of infected blood or tissue. Extra payment for fresh samples.

You can find me in one of the bunkers near the northern part of the strip if you have found some.

May god guide you."

Edgar sighs and stares at his dwindling rations, perhaps he could trade for some too.

*A muffled American male voice would come over the frequency*

"Last station, I may have what you're looking for. I hope you can appreciate anonymity, as I don't know how well I can trust you yet. If you don't mind meeting in the city of Vybor, I'd feel more comfortable.  No payment required upfront, we can discuss that at the meeting. It would just be me and my assistant if that's acceptable. I believe we can help each other out. Give me a time and I'll try to make it ASAP. Over.

*The frequency would return to static*

Sounds of infected can be heard

"Good, it's been hard to do any research without decent samples. I'm not currently at my station right now but I will be shortly.
I will be in contact.

Moore out."

He opens the door and crawls past the infected

*A somewhat boyish voice chimes down the communications*
"Hey, uhm... Listen, I'm not sure how well this'll go down with my higher ups, but I may be able to settle some sort of agreement regarding the collection of the materials you need. I don't think it'd be wise to share my private frequency over the open-air, but hopefully if I can find you somewhere out there then we can discuss this further. In short, I'll be willing to do it for a price, and hopefully the rest of my guys will too.
Sincerely, The Other Moore"

*The quick message cuts out with a static as the individual releases the PTT*

Edgar takes a break from research and opens a pack of cigarettes

"Don't hurt yourself kid, I already got what I needed.
In all honesty, it's something I've never expected to see. The infected at the site are much different.

I will have to continue my research before anything else."

Edgar puts down the radio and gets back to research

Posted (edited)

*A man presses the PTT, asking the question*

"What do you mean, Profesor.. How much diffrent?" 

*Speaks with curious voice, afterwards ending transmission*

Edited by Thrynn

Edgar pauses before responding, and opens his journal

"Something I can't explain over radio, it would take years and years...
Rest assured, there is something here, and I know just how to do it.
Stay safe out there."

Edgar places back down the radio and rubs his temple

*A man presses the PTT, then saying*

"What I'd like to know in specific, is if Infected at ground zero are more dangerous than the ones at other places.. you know, I wander in there for a living so I'd like to know such things."

*Ends his transmission*

Posted (edited)

Edgar closes the door to his lab and exits to get a better signal

"You need to not enter that military base anymore, it isn't safe, the infected there along with the amount of radiation.
It's a deadly mix for a lot of people, but you have to trust me, do not go in there.

This applies to everyone listening on this frequency, do not go into the Kamensk Military Base. It is incredibly dangerous and there are multiple hazards that you can't account for."

Edgar takes a sip of the vodka he found,
"There is much to be done."
He packs a hazmat suit and proceeds to march out the airfield and towards the base.

Edited by DeagleERP

Posted (edited)

Pavel reaches for his radio, speaking English with an Eastern (local?)accent. The voice is muffled however. 

<:: "What do you expect to find there? 'Ground Zero' was intensively investigated by the UN, not counting all the unsanctioned looting since then, and infected eventually roam, meaning chances are you won't find a particular type of infected there who stay indefinitely and who have other notable attributes. You will just endanger yourself and I doubt you will find useful samples or information, nor will proper decontamination be easy. 

Yet regularly I see wannabe adventurers or scientists, I assume, enter and think they can find something vital there. Doubtful at this point."

Click. 

Edited by Combine

Edgar's voice would now be muffled by a gas mask

"It's not that... it's the radiation. The samples I acquired have changed in nature over the day I've had them.
I have to collect new samples in the radiation.
This is the only way I can do this."

Edgar puts the radio back on his bag and puts on the rest of the NBC suit.

Posted (edited)

*Presses the PTT, then speaks again*

"You do not have to be alone in that, myself or some of my friends could provide you some help and protect you while at the Ground Zero, we are very experienced with that place and, beside of that we are fully aware of the radiation."

*Ends the transmission*

Edited by Thrynn

The radio becomes static for a moment, a voice tries to breach through:

"Infected--- Suit breach---
I'm not--- Kamensk---
Need new suit---"

The static and voice disappear
Edgar tends to his wounds in a nearby bunker and discards some of the suit and gas mask.

-Red sigh's deeply having heard the conversation for a while now and debating on whether or not he should speak out, he slowly presses the PTT on the radio on his shoulder while walking, you can clearly hear the footsteps on the concrete-

You are asking the wrong questions, Edgar, while I am not a scientist, nor a Doctor my childhood obsession with the Chernobyl catastrophe has led me down the rabbit hole of how radiation works more than once.

The question is not how the Radiation is present or how it affects the infected.

The question is why it is still there.

Are you familiar with radioactivity dissipation? It goes stupidly quick, that is besides some of the more obvious things as for example the elephant's foot or isotopes: strontium 90 ,cesium 137.

But the truth of the matter is that most isotopes are short-lived due to their unstable nature.

Figure out the answer to these questions:

What produces this amount of radioactivity in a small zone yet does not spread, does not create a crater, shockwave or impact zone and has no sign of a meltdown or nuclear reactor?

What Isotope is present and why hasn't it decayed?

If you are planning on going back to that area I suspect you already know, the radioactivity will shorten your life span significantly, but in short and frequent trips you should be fine for the next 20 to 25 years before cancer eventually kills you.

I will be open for questions surrounding what I know although it might not suffice for deeper scientific investigation, I'd prefer to keep what I know close to my chest so I prefer face to face talks.

Good luck with your suite breach Edgar

-Red clicks off the radio shaking his head feeling like he made a mistake responding-

*Man responds after a short period of time*

"Perhaps they stored some radioactive waste in this area.. place waste was stored at could've been breached in result of bombing."

*Ends the transmission*

-Red clicks on the PTT with a deadly serious voice-

If that was the case for an isotope that stays this strong for this long, it would've spread and we would all be experiencing devastatingly horrible symptoms of radiation sickness right now.

If it was low-level radioactive waste it would've been possible to only contaminate a small area but... it would've dissipated mostly by now. Meaning walking there should be like 5 x-rays.

Since neither is the case, there is still a question nobody can answer, and most likely a large part in uncovering the mystery, and that mystery might hold the key to how this all started.

And that key might be the key to the cure.

-Red clicks off the radio-

*Presses down the PTT, answering*

"Then all we can do, is to prepare ourselves and go there, to investigate the entire place again to find a source."

*Ends the transmission*

*Glances at his radio he hesitates before pressing down the PTT button speaking into the radio.*

"Greetings, my name is Edward and I'm a former USMC Marine, I'm willing to provide security and find the source of this outbreak. If you are near Kamensk stay there, I'm able to arrive at your location within three hours, I repeat stay on your location, I'm bringing medical supplies and equipment for the radiated zone. "

*Ends the transmission*

Edgar groans a bit before waking up, wounds cover his chest and lower legs but are serviced

"My head hurts, anyways, hello again.
I got attacked by a horde of infected, luckily some survivors were on the strip and were able to save me.
The hazmat suit is... fucked to say the least. I have some spare parts in the lab but it's no where near enough to go into Ground Zero.

I listened to the frequency while getting patched up, in all honesty there is still many loose questions yet to answer...
Also Edward was your name? I'm not at Kamensk, I was on my way there before getting attacked. I'm on the Vybor Airfield strip right now. 

The radiation, right... my head hurts but laying down gave me the chance to think of some things.
The radiation is weird, pocketed, has hardly spread into the forest around the base, but it has a weird effect on the infection, especially in the tissue samples I have gotten a bit ago. They seem to act in almost a defensive manner towards radiation, it requires a lot of tools and equipment to test more but I'm sure I can find something here.

For now, I'll have to rely on on-site testing at the base to figure out since the samples I've gotten have decayed some bit and is hard to see how the infection truly acts.

After I recover, I will be working a bit more. I'm going to go get some fresh air.

Edgar exits out of the lab and eats some of the rations he stored and thinks of what to do next

Edgar's voice would now be muffled under the gas mask, sounding much more cheerful than usual

"It's happening, I have eyes on the military base.
I've packed most of the stuff I need, I just need to get inside and collect enough samples.

Wish me luck, may this journey not be in vain and may humanity's saviour be found."

Edgar makes a quick prayer and enters, his gun off safety.

Edgar's voice is still under the gas mask, but huffing and puffing like nothing else.

"I did it."
"I got the samples, fucking infected everywhere. There is also a small compound in this base,
Who the hell would build here?
Fuck it... I got the samples, that's all I need, this should be enough to get me through the next month or more.
God bless these Russian hazmat suits, the air could be hazardous, the radiation didn't seep through either.

There is also a large collection of military gear still left here, I didn't take any of it or risk having to decontaminate it.
I'm going back to my lab, I just gotta be careful now.
"

Edgar turns off the radio and continues out into the forests south of the base,
He thinks of how much this can help the cause, if he makes it back

A muffled voice pops up on the radiowaves, speaking English with a Eastern or local sounding accent. Could sound like the person that spoke on here recently-ish. Prolly the same person. Almost sounds a bit amused or as if lecturing him, at least near the end of the sentence, given the intonation.

<:: "Shame... just missed you, heard your shots, lots of shots. But as people warned you, the area is not safe on various levels.

Click.