Server time (UTC): 2019-09-23, 16:39
Sign in to follow this  
porkysteaks

Ping kick limit

With the new update, it is apparent that the developers have added in a Ping kick limit for when your ping hits 500. This would seem beneficial if it wasn't for the fact that us, here in Oceania are now being excluded from even playing on the server. I usually have a steady 250 ping to DayZRP, which sounds like a lot but it is very much playable and I never had any issues in the past. Now it seems that whenever I have a spike while loading in or just randomly. I get kicked. Many more people have expressed the same concern and it seems as though we are now being excluded simply because of our location. The server is now unplayable for most of us in NZ/AUS, which I see as simply unfair. I hope you admins remove the kick limit and allow us to play on your server again. I'd hate to lose the friends and memories I've experienced on this server and will be saddened to have to look for a new game and server to play on. 

Sincerely,

concerned New Zealander 

Posted (edited)

He is a really great role player, I would hate to see his memories and role playing  lost please remove the kick limit. He is one of the players that make this game so fun especially when I watch my favorite streamer play it and is bringing new players to your server.

he deserves to play.

Edited by Mightybow

While I can't speak for the server owners I know the probable reason for a ping limit is server performance.

Ping spikes and high latency from one or more players unfortunately means an increased server load which in turn means worse performance for everyone else on the server. While it may seem like a non issue to you while playing, your connection is in fact worsening the performance for everyone else as well.

The server already suffers from performance issues at times and a high latency can definately make that worse.

Someone higher up would have to give you an definate answer about keeping or removing the limit though.

Just now, Misho said:

While I can't speak for the server owners I know the probable reason for a ping limit is server performance.

Ping spikes and high latency from one or more players unfortunately means an increased server load which in turn means worse performance for everyone else on the server. While it may seem like a non issue to you while playing, your connection is in fact worsening the performance for everyone else included.

The server already suffers from performance issues at times and a high latency can definately make that worse.

Someone higher up would have to give you an definate answer about keeping or removing the limit though.

I think I get that, but I don't understand how the server has been running for years without a limit. And only now is it being introduced, leaving us out. I just managed to get into the server, and it seems as though it may be okay now. But I can only imagine what will happen once I run into a large group and my ping spikes. 

I had this happen to me once (might be fluke but who knows) and while I understand the technical reasons for doing this, in a community this large there are bound to be god knows how many people who will have a problem with a ping kick limit. My current ping at the time of the kick was 500-550ish, while I understand that such a ping on several people would cause unneeded server load etc. It still feels like it would once again alienate a large portion of the player base. I have no idea if it is a reasonable way to lower once ping enough to get under this limit but alas I would rather have a slight crummier server and keep the players.

Posted (edited)

Server performance today was perfect in my books, only once did I have this happen to me showcasing that this is a fix for the huge amount of crashes we had in the patch and should stay as it is unless it starts to affect a huge chunk of the player base.

Edited by Eagle

12 minutes ago, Ivekef said:

I had this happen to me once (might be fluke but who knows) and while I understand the technical reasons for doing this, in a community this large there are bound to be god knows how many people who will have a problem with a ping kick limit. My current ping at the time of the kick was 500-550ish, while I understand that such a ping on several people would cause unneeded server load etc. It still feels like it would once again alienate a large portion of the player base. I have no idea if it is a reasonable way to lower once ping enough to get under this limit but alas I would rather have a slight crummier server and keep the players.

It depends how large a portion it is in reality. So far there's the two of you reporting it, if more people experience ir and once we have some more statistics on kicks due to ping one can make up their mind on how to progress.

Im sorry to say but sometimes you have to make a tough call, which might result in some people not being able to use your service(server) anymore.

We do that in gamedev every time we decide on minimum hardware/software requirements. Not everyone will be able to run a new ghraphic intense game and thats an accepted fact. The same would apply to latency issus affecting a whole server.

Again, the only one who can give the final call is @Roland

4 minutes ago, Misho said:

It depends how large a portion it is in reality. So far there's the two of you reporting it, if more people experience ir and once we have some more statistics on kicks due to ping one can make up their mind on how to progress.

Im sorry to say but sometimes you have to make a tough call, which might result in some people not being able to use your service(server) anymore.

We do that in gamedev every time we decide on minimum hardware/software requirements. Not everyone will be able to run a new ghraphic intense game and thats an accepted fact. The same would apply to latency issus affecting a whole server.

Again, the only one who can give the final call is @Roland

Ofc, I understand that it is the greater rather then the few, just sucks that it might be a problem that could potentially cause some people to leave. Either way, yup it is only the big man indeed that can deal with this, just gonna hope I had a bad day with ping and leave it like that.

What Misho said. We have to look at the big picture and prioritize the vast majority of people who do not have issues and have stable ping below 500ms. It's not that high of a requirement considering the servers location, hardware and connection, all of which are very high-end.

We have almost 800 weekly players and if 750 of them can experience less lag at a cost of a few players with unstable connections being unable to play, I will take that deal. It's unfortunate, but that's how it is. It's kind of similar to how DayZ devs took the step to upgrade the rendering engine in alpha which resulted in the game requiring a DX11 graphics card or higher. A lot of people were unable to continue playing on their old PCs, but it was done for the greater good of the game as a whole.

This is true, although there is an occasional spike I suffer from, but other than that I have no problems. You shouldn't have issues unless you get massive ping spikes which will kick you.

2 minutes ago, General Rickets said:

@ThrashRP is also from New Zealand and manages to play bud

Idk, I have the best available internet in my area. Could be that it's a bit unstable, still. It sucks that after a few months of playing im just being thrown at the wall like a wet paper towel ;_;

1 minute ago, ThrashRP said:

This is true, although there is an occasional spike I suffer from, but other than that I have no problems. You shouldn't have issues unless you get massive ping spikes which will kick you.

That's exactly what I get, and usually it would be fine. Barely visible in RP in fact. Now I get kicked to the menu and have to wait in the queue for another 15 minutes 

@porkysteaksI only had the issue once today. The ping is usually absolutely fine, so I don't really know what your problem would be, must be something personal.

Just now, ThrashRP said:

@porkysteaksI only had the issue once today. The ping is usually absolutely fine, so I don't really know what your problem would be, must be something personal.

Maybe. I could stay in for around 20 minutes max before being booted

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2019 at 9:36 AM, Roland said:

What Misho said. We have to look at the big picture and prioritize the vast majority of people who do not have issues and have stable ping below 500ms. It's not that high of a requirement considering the servers location, hardware and connection, all of which are very high-end.

We have almost 800 weekly players and if 750 of them can experience less lag at a cost of a few players with unstable connections being unable to play, I will take that deal. It's unfortunate, but that's how it is. It's kind of similar to how DayZ devs took the step to upgrade the rendering engine in alpha which resulted in the game requiring a DX11 graphics card or higher. A lot of people were unable to continue playing on their old PCs, but it was done for the greater good of the game as a whole.

Im getting kicked right after a gunfight/robbery. I cant join back because of my ping. So Roland can you promise me i wont get banned for Combat log?

Edited by Hampze

Make it so if youre over 500 in ping for maybe a couple of seconds you get kicked. Because sometimes you get lag spikes just for 1 sec

Can this please be removed. it's starting to drive me bananas especially when the queue is big.

Just signed up not long ago. Seems like i can't really play anymore, My latency spikes up once in awhile if not its a steady 300 ish. 

Hope there's some way to compromise with this, Really just got enjoy this whole thing.