Server time (UTC): 2019-06-16, 09:50
baskorthuis

Redwood Radio [Open recruitment]

Posted (edited)

1091260175_logodef.png.5d410310f5c79035d0e3a9827f3e0cc1.png

''Hidden far in the western woods, the sound of music can be heard on the breeze''

banner.jpg.d6cf6af3f74c69ccac92a0fa064b3128.jpg

533966035_text4.png.946095ba9d68570d429cd3ffd164f1cf.png

Mr. Redwood

There is a dusty old farmhouse in the little town of Bor, where once lived an old man. He lost himself in crackling vinyl. Records were everywhere in the house. Every single record was placed in alphabetical order in big oaken cupboards. He almost never came outside and didn’t talk to most of his neighbours, but one couldn’t pass his house without hearing music coming from some open window. At first the man didn’t even notice when the outbreak raged over the lands. He wasn’t connected the power grid anyway, so his records just kept on playing when the power went off.

One day someone knocked aggressively on his door. It sounded like the person was trying to break down the door. The man stopped his turntable for once and walked up to his front door. Looking through the eyepiece he saw a man in torn down clothes with blood all over him. The old man yelled that he should leave. The only response he got was a loud beastly scream. He put some extra locks on the door. Just in case. He went back to his living room and started the turntable again. He put the volume up a little louder to be able to ignore the weird man at the front of his house. The next day everything got even worse. It sounded like multiple people were around his house now. He went looking again, only to find a whole group of these weird looking people. This time not only at his door but around his entire house. They were standing at every window and door. The old man started to panic and searched for everything he could find to barricade his house up. It worked. He managed to keep them outside. But for how long would it hold?

Suddenly a loud gunshot could be heard in the town. All the knocking sounds stopped at once. The beastly screaming seemed to slowly fade away. The man peaked through the eyepiece again and saw all the people walking away in the direction of the gunshot. This was the chance he had been waiting for. He opened the door and ran towards his neighbour’s house. Only to find the house abandoned. Not only his neighbours house, but the entire town appeared to be empty. Not a single soul was around anymore. The beastly screams started to come closer again and the man ran back to his house as fast as he could. Locked everything up and hoped for the best.

old-farm-house-parker-jim.jpg.a1416d323692dc11a90ae6d2599f2a67.jpg

Alex

Alex took out his binoculars and looked at the town in the distance. It looked like there were no infected in the town. A perfect chance to fill up his supplies. The town still looked very decent. Most houses were almost untouched. Alex wasn’t just looking for food and water. He hoped to find things that would remind him of the old world. While checking the houses, he suddenly heard infected screaming in the distance. He decided to quickly look on the streets. A group of infected were surrounding what seemed to be an old farmhouse. He didn't keep track of his surroundings while

looking at the house. Suddenly one infected stood dangerously close to him. In a split second he had to decide if he would shoot it or not. The infected didn't leave him much choice because it started running in his direction. Alex shot, but what he didn't realise is that all the infected that were surrounding the house, were now coming after him. In his attempt to escape, he ran towards the radio tower on the hill. They couldn't catch him if he was up there. He had never climbed up a ladder as fast as he did that day. Out of breath he reached the top of the ladder. Alex had been in situations like this before, so he came prepared this time. He carried a road flare with him. In attempt to lure the infected away, he threw the flare into the field. It worked. Most infected walked away, but there was still a couple of infected left at the tower. Right at that moment he spotted someone crouching through the bushes. The person was wearing a suit and a cowboy hat. While Alex was observing the figure, suppressed shots killed the remaining infected. A male voice yelled at Alex to come down. Alex did just what he was told. Downstairs he followed the man back toone of the towns barns.

Depressed cowboy

Two groups of survivors showed up at the Zelenogorsk bar that evening. Jan was, as usual, doing a live performance in the bar. It was a great atmosphere. Everyone was enjoying themselves with a beer and some live music. Almost forgetting the shit hole, they are living in. Jan decided to do a little night walk when everyone left. He was too busy in his head to sleep anyway. He walked up the hill towards Bor. Jan figured it would be a nice trip if he went from that hill to Drozhino and then back to Zelenogorsk. From the top of the hill, he could see the town of Bor. It looked rather peaceful, but suddenly a loud gunshot came from the town. It wasn’t as peaceful as it looked. Jan walked towards the radio tower. He could probably get a better view of the situation from up there. Lots of infected were screaming from the town. Probably responding to the loud gunshot. But these sounds only became louder when Jan neared the radio tower. He took out his pistol and slowly moved through the bushes towards the tower. A bright flash flew went through the air and a group of infected rans in front of him. Still he heard more infected at the radio tower. He checked if the pistol was loaded properly before he moved towards the radio tower. Yet again there was a group of infected at the bottom of the tower. They were all looking up at the tower. Up in the tower was the person that was probably responsible for the loud gunshot. Jan helped the man out. Shot the infected with some supressed shots and yelled at him to come downstairs. They walked towards the nearest barn they could find and started to talk things over. Alex explained what happened to him and that he found this house surrounded by infected. Jan suggested to go checking on that house as soon as the sun would rise. They went back to Zelenogorsk to get some rest for the night.

767.jpg.d3aa0cb2b1b834ca6f316b21c0f8f996.jpg

Investigation

The next day that left Zelenogorsk early. They walked back up the hill towards Bor. On the hill they both checked the town with their binoculars. Again, it looked rather peaceful and quiet. slowly they moved a bit south, through the treeline over the hill, to get a better view on the house Alex described. They were almost back at the point where they met last night. Alex suggested to get on the radio. He remembered he had a clear view on the house from up there. And he was right.

As soon as they were up there, they could see a big group of infected surrounding the house again. They had to plan first if they wanted to check on the house. Otherwise they would only end up as infected breakfast. The flare didn't quite work last time, so they had to try something different. After many thoughts, Jan came up with a genius idea. He had this cassette player with him that he used back in the day to make simple demos. In the shed next to the tower, was a box filled with variety of electronic devices. Among them they also found a megaphone. The plan was to let the cassette play in front of the megaphone. All the infected will be lured towards the megaphone, which gives them the opportunity to check on the house. They did exactly that. Jan pressed the play button and ran towards Alex that was waiting for him on the dirt road. They slowly moved around the town towards the farmhouse. The sound of the infected seemed to move in the right direction. There wasn't a single infected left outside when they arrived at the house. The front door was locked, but one of the windows was wide open. Very quietly they tried to climb in the window. Once inside they found the house in a mess. Things were scattered all over the floor. It looked like something had raged through the room. They slowly walked through the house ending up at a stair. Footsteps could be heard upstairs. Jan took out his pistol and Alex his shotgun. Ready for if something went wrong. What they found was terrifying. An old man was on the ground with one of those infected right on him. Jan shot as fast as he could, trying to save the man. But it was too late. They dragged the infected away and checked if they could hear a heartbeat. CPR didn’t work anymore. The man was already turning cold. He passed away long before they entered the house.

The collection

The only right thing to do, was to bury the man. They dug his grave right next to the house. Alex made a wooden cross to give the grave some meaning. Normal funerals take place with friends and relatives, but both Alex and Jan didn’t know anything to say, as they didn’t even know the man. They filled up the grave, after a few minutes of silence. They went back inside the house, after the quite unusual funeral. Sitting down in the living room for a while, Jan started to notice the enormous oaken cupboards. He walked to one of the cupboards and opened it. It was filled with vinyl records. He checked the next cupboard and found even more records. He was astonished by what he had found. There even was a pristine turntable with both an amplifier and active speakers. The puzzle was completed by this found. The infected most have been attracted by the music coming from the house. Jan had never seen such a big collection. Everything from Nashville country hits to rock and roll and even some UK rock. Jan yelled at Alex who was looking around upstairs. Alex came down and was just as astonished as Jan was. They concluded that they couldn’t leave this collection behind. It was too valuable for some scavengers to it as a frisbee.

Planning and execution are two completely different things. Jan and Alex planned to move the records to a place where they could safely store them, was easier said than done. First of they had to find a good location. Secondly, they needed to get the records from A to B. Thirdly they needed to be able to secure the collection. Jan knew a guy form Zelenogorsk that could probably help them out. They didn’t want to let people know about their treasure, but Jan knew they could trust this guy. The man from Zelenogorsk had an old Lada car with a trunk big enough to safely get all records in.

Jan and Alex were waiting at the farmhouse for the car to arrive. It was a cold misty morning. The sun was about to rise but got blocked off by the thick layer of mist. They could hear the car coming in the distance. They picked up all the crates from the house and placed them in front of the door. The headlights hit their faces and the car stopped right in front of the house. The man stepped out and opened the trunk. Jan and Alex lifted as much crates as they could carry and put them in the car trunk. At this point, every single record was in that car. They hoped for the best and drove of in the morning sun.

903180723_Banner2.jpg.76c137cca93414db24e86a2f36c2d06e.jpg

Radio time

Arrived at their destination they unpacked the car and thanked the man from Zelenogorsk. They placed the crates in the corner of their new house. It was the perfect place. Far from the big trouble cities. Jan set up the turntable, so they could listen to some of the records. They had a great time with the music. Although Jan played music on his guitar from time to time, he never got to listen himself. This got him thinking. There is probably so many people out there that haven’t heard music since the outbreak. Out of experience, Jan knew people’s reaction to his live act in Zelenogorsk. Maybe there is a way to expand this idea of brining music to more people. Jan discussed this idea with Alex. Alex told him that he was handy with about everything mechanical. Combined with Jan’s knowledge of audio equipment, they came up with the idea of setting up a radio channel. A lot had to be done to realise this idea. Everything from finding a suitable working radio tower, connecting the right equipment and even getting the power going to get everything running.

images3.jpg.6fdd0f49f10840f1ce475381e25a4b23.jpg

''Way back home''

4.png.1ec07311486061ca0ec488af9c7ee529.png

Find, set up and maintain a suitable location for the radio station. (day 700, completed)

Reinforce the place where they store the vinyl collection and the audio equipment. (day 720, completed)

Construct a small radiotower at the station to improve the signal relay to the main radiotower (day 720)

Reinforce the main radiotower so it can stay unguarded during the broadcast (day 725)

Set up an agreement with neighbours to form a local network of like minded people (day 730)

Find out what or who terrorises the radiostation at night to ensure group safety (day 730)

Establish contact with different people in the area, to collect information that can be used in a news segment. (day 740)

Recruit suitable people that have some experience with audio or radio equipment. (ongoing)

Keep a constant supply run going to collect necessary items to keep the broadcast going. (ongoing)

Establish positive contact with different factions around the area to ensure group safety. (ongoing)

text656.png.0e6869a790e15d741cc7f7788558cc64.png

Provide a good (audio) quality radio broadcasts by using professional grade equipment and real vinyl records.

Make the IG world feel more alive, by using the radio aspects in the game.

Provide RP that is different from normal bandit or survivor groups.  

Members.png.a2bb7ec98c21ba6240dc4e6363da8df6.png

Radio Host

Jan de Vries - @baskorthuis

Alexander Martin - @Conkick

Handyman

Alexander Smidt - @JobScholten

Engineer

Erik Koivu - @Uhka

Security

Kevin Baxter - @BillyR

Reporter

Savanna Washington - @Oryx

Spoiler

Below the different group roles are explained.

Radiohost: 
Manages the IG radio broadcasts aswell as radio messages we put out on the forum. Decide the broadcasts' layout or format and will also supervise what content will be broadcasted.

Handyman: 
Head of construction and maintenance of the station. Responsable for item management and utilizing storage. 

Engineer: 
Supervisor on the technical side of things. Checks if constructions are suitable for named purposes. Also keep the necessary machinery for the radiostation running.

Security: 
Keeps the station safe from unwanted visitors. Ensure safety of reporters on the road. Also manages the gun and ammunition storage.

Reporter: 
Collect news around the area and make it usable for the radiobroadcast. This can be done in a recorded interview or written down text. Also establish and maintain contact with different groups.

Broadcast Schedule: 10 June - 16 June

All times are in GMT+2/UTC+2

These are all 'estimated' times and may change during the week. Broadcasts will be announced on our Radio thread. By following the thread, you will get notified whenever we go live.

Monday 10 June: 22:00- 22:30

Thuesday 11 June: 21:30 - 22:30

Wednesday 12 June: 22:00 - 22:30

Thursday 13 June: no broadcast

Friday 14 June: 21:30 - 22:30

Saturday 15 June: 22:00 - 22:30 

Sunday 16 June: no broadcast

Recruitment: Open

We are still looking for people that enjoy bringing music and news to the public. If you’re interested you could send me a PM in the format that is displayed below.

Spoiler

IG info

Character name: 

Link to character page: 

Describe why your character fits the group:  

OOC info

Country (timezone): 

Anything else you want to tell us:

Edited by baskorthuis

Good Luck Boys

Radio groups are best groups to add immersion and advance stories imo. So good luck on my behalf.

Good luck. Grachi approves of this.

Best of luck with this - Hopefully we will hear more of your music soon over the radio 😄 

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Shanoby said:

Radio groups are best groups to add immersion and advance stories imo. So good luck on my behalf.

Very true, my favorite group (or top 2 at least) was the Chernarus Live Radio during the Mod days. Voluntarily guarded their station and equipment while they were not online.
Went that far that I even included them in my group thread even though they were long gone and not playing anymore. Great memories, anyways...

Best of luck with this, I like the story and if you ever need a helping hand you can hit me up 😉

(at the start of the collection "burry" with only 1 r )

Edited by RoCKiE

Goodluck

looks cool

Awesome!

I'll probably miss you guys online with you being in the EU but hit me up if you need a news,dj, etc spot voiced.  As someone who is in the business would love to help out where I can!

This sounds great! Good luck with this guys and can't wait to hear.

Good luck with this!

Good Luck with this gents!

shaun the sheep movie ok GIF

2 hours ago, MR Pussywhipped said:

Awesome!

I'll probably miss you guys online with you being in the EU but hit me up if you need a news,dj, etc spot voiced.  As someone who is in the business would love to help out where I can!

You just have to wake up early then and have it as a morning show :p!

A RADIO GROUP! YESS

Hope to hear the music through the lands, good luck guys

Good Luck Bas! 
It all started when I named you The Deppresed Cowboy 😄

Good luck 

4 hours ago, Shanoby said:

Hope we live up to this standards! 

3 hours ago, MR Pussywhipped said:

Awesome!

We could really use someone with experience in the field! Also we need to fill US air time aswell right?

1 hour ago, Lemons said:

Good Luck Bas! 
It all started when I named you The Deppresed Cowboy 😄

Indeed! The name will stick around for a while haha

Always nice to see a radio group 🙏🏻

2 hours ago, Uhka said:

You just have to wake up early then and have it as a morning show :p!

I already do that in my day to day life haha!

So excited. Hoping you guys can get enough support to go 24/7!

Best of luck!

Radio groups are so fun to me. It's a neat mechanic to be able to utilize, and integrate into RP! I hope you guys go far and have fun with it 🙂

Was wondering when you're gonna post this up, good luck with this man

On 5/28/2019 at 10:44 PM, Mugin said:

So excited. Hoping you guys can get enough support to go 24/7!

Best of luck!

Hope so aswell. We really do need more people to get something like that working, but a man can dream 😄

On 5/28/2019 at 11:17 PM, MRS Bradtica said:

Radio groups are so fun to me. It's a neat mechanic to be able to utilize, and integrate into RP! I hope you guys go far and have fun with it 🙂

We want to brighten up the lives of lone survivors out there with a bit of music. I think the radio mechanic is a great way to achieve that! 

2 hours ago, MajooRB said:

Was wondering when you're gonna post this up, good luck with this man

Thanks! Took a while to get everything set up right, hope you like it!

Radio groups are honestly my favourite style of group. I tried to kickstart "The Signal" back in the day with similar goals, hope you guys truly see it through! Awesome thread and I can't wait to see your group's content.

I'd love for our groups to interact sometime, best of luck mate! See you in official soon 🙂