Server time (UTC): 2019-09-20, 19:06
Sign in to follow this  
tossVC

Plate Carrier

As of the update today you can no longer sprint with a plate carrier.

You can go about five feet with a single rifle, and a backpack half-filled with food.

Sure it's a certain way to have more protection though running in DayZ is a necessity and this is too extreme for something more common. 

Could it be doubled from its current state because as of now it's not worth it really.

Imo a PC carrier would be heavy irl and you wouldn't be able to run very far. If it's as low as people are saying then a slight buff would be ideal for those who wear them. Note that it was a Dayz update that changed it, not a DayzRP update and I'm not sure if this is something our devs can change you'd have to ask them. +1 to a very slight buff, but nothing major. It's nice seeing more civi typed characters ingame rather than more than 50% of the population being army vets.

Posted (edited)

The pouches are bugged. When adding them to the plate it goes from 12 to 25 kgs. So just use it without them and you should be fine.

Hopefully, the devs can fix this awful bug.

Edited by AndreyQ

I'll look into rebalancing it in the short run. For a future patch I think we gonna rebalance the vest a bit. Make a base one with no armor and low weight then add armor plates you can combine for protection value and more weight.

I dont think people who havent worn one in real life can have a definite say here. Plate carriers are indeed heavy, from my own experience in the millitary but you can run far with them. 

Especially when dayz characters are prime specimen. 

I dont see a problem with the plate carriers ingame, its actually pretty realistic 

i mean is a plate carrier not a literal thing that carries heavy, bullet resistant plates? its gonna be pretty heavy

Posted (edited)

I am sorta happy that people can't be sprinting around for long with a plate-carrier anymore. I am tired of every person I meet wearing one.

Speaking of plate carriers, I thought Roland was planning on removing them from the loot-table to only be in helicopter crashes?

Edited by CamoRP

Not everyone is an army vet but our chars have been in this situation for over 2 years...

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Whitename said:

i mean is a plate carrier not a literal thing that carries heavy, bullet resistant plates? its gonna be pretty heavy

So are huge backpacks that can carry 2-3 rifles but you can still run with those....

Edited by Eagle

I understand it’s heavy but the bar isn’t even an inch long people 

I get PC are heavy yeah but I was carrying four ARs at one point (Looting for a friend as well, not hoarding) and I could still sprint until I put a PC on...

🤔

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Eagle said:

So are huge backpacks that can carry 2-3 rifles but you can still run with those....

that's fair enough, youre right

Edited by Whitename

Posted (edited)

You can also carry a barrel with 450ish lbs of water in it...

DayZ isn't exactly known for getting physics right.

Edited by Rover
Number correction

9 minutes ago, Eagle said:

You bring a fair point.

The A.L.I.C.E. Backpacks, if using the heaviest design with aluminium frame (from the 70s), would way about 5-6kg. You add three assault rifles, with no ammo. You are talking about 5kg+(3x4kg)= 18-19kg. That weight is distributed all over the torso of the body, and lowers the mobility of the person, just as plate carriers, however plate carriers weight twice as much. 

In the reality of it all, I would think it would be easier just to sling two guns on each shoulder when traveling. Your shoulders will hurt like hell though after a couple hours. Haha.

9 minutes ago, Rover said:

You can also carry a barrel with 450ish lbs of water in it... DayZ isn't exactly known for getting physics right.

If the official devs were capable to do so with the game engine, they'd probably just have the player roll the damn barrel. 

In regards to the game, a 55 gallon steel oil drum weighs 18kg, which is realistic to carry in hands. I doubt they will keep it to where you can move it when it's filled in the future. Because I doubt anyone could carry it 208kg water + the 18kg of the barrel's weight = 226kg.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Imo a PC carrier would be heavy irl and you wouldn't be able to run very far. If it's as low as people are saying then a slight buff would be ideal for those who wear them. Note that it was a Dayz update that changed it, not a DayzRP update and I'm not sure if this is something our devs can change you'd have to ask them. +1 to a very slight buff, but nothing major. It's nice seeing more civi typed characters ingame rather than more than 50% of the population being army vets.

IRL plate carriers arent that heavy. As I've been running with them for all my military career, it's easy af to run with them. Wearing a plate carrier, you maybe have about 15 pounds. Including all the sapi plates. Since it's so close to your body, you really don't feel that much of the weight.

Edited by Wendigo

Just now, CamoRP said:

You bring a fair point.

The A.L.I.C.E. Backpacks, if using the heaviest design with aluminium frame (from the 70s), would way about 5-6kg. You add three assault rifles, with no ammo. You are talking about 5kg+(3x4kg)= 18-19kg. That weight is distributed all over the torso of the body, and lowers the mobility of the person, just as plate carriers, however plate carriers weight twice as much. 

In the reality of it all, I would think it would be easier just to sling two guns on each shoulder when traveling. Your shoulders will hurt like hell though after a couple hours. Haha.

If the official devs were capable to do so with the game engine, they'd probably just have the player roll the damn barrel. 

In regards to the game, a 55 gallon steel oil drum weighs 18kg, which is realistic to carry in hands. I doubt they will keep it to where you can move it when it's filled in the future. Because I doubt anyone could carry it 208kg water + the 18kg of the barrel's weight = 226kg.

226 KG = 498 lbs.

I wasn't factoring the barrels weight into it. 😉 

I used to play paintball faithfully, and I carried about 3000 rounds in pods and and spare air-tanks on my kit as I was the 'heavy weapons' and the teams ammo/air dispenser during scenario games.  (Thats probably only about 40-50 lbs)

Could I run while wearing it? Sure thing. Could I run all day while carrying ti? Heeeellllllll no. 

Posted (edited)

I am starting to agree after doing the math. I feel confident even my fat-ass could carry 26kg (plate carrier) of weight on my torso and still be able to sprint. Not for long, since I am out of shape. But an average person probably could haul it for at least 50m, instead of the 10m it sounds like now.

Edited by CamoRP

2 minutes ago, Rover said:

Could I run while wearing it? Sure thing. Could I run all day while carrying ti? Heeeellllllll no. 

I suppose we're talkin' about plate-carrier, right? Yeah, I would say wearing it all day to definitely reduce a person's fatigue significantly. I say buff it from the new update did.  Before plate-carriers took a third (or so) of your stamina bar. Which still allowed you to run 100m (at least). I say buff it to at least sprint 50m, before your stamina runs out.

Also should add, I think no matter what you're wearing in regards to weight, I think any player should be able to sprint at least 10m. I am getting fairly pissed, because I am a trader, and I can't even hop/vault over a small fence, or sprint to cover from a road in a town.

Posted (edited)

Yeah this 100% needs to be fixed. No bikes, Lack of functional cars unless server pops 60 below, and a stamina bar.

Quality of life > Realism

Once bicycles or other means of transport get added (big if) then we should have stamina and speed reductions like this. Otherwise we're all just being conditioned to become sadists having to run everywhere.

Edited by Mugin

As someone who has worn one plenty of times, with and without plates, such things with full sapi plates in are somewhat heavy especially when combined with a full combat load. Front and back sapi’s Are not that bad, but also adding in left and right side sapi plates it wears on you. Running Long distance with a full plate carrier rig is fucking aweful but not impossible. 

I think once we are able to add the sapi plates in and out it will even everything out. You can tailor your vest further to your own play style. Only a front sapi for basic protection and higher mobility. Front and back plates for general all around balance. Full plates for maximum protection at the cost of weight. Load out trade offs should be a basic thing that should effect everyone. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

31 minutes ago, Hex said:

As someone who has worn one plenty of times, with and without plates, such things with full sapi plates in are somewhat heavy especially when combined with a full combat load. Front and back sapi’s Are not that bad, but also adding in left and right side sapi plates it wears on you. Running Long distance with a full plate carrier rig is fucking aweful but not impossible. 

I think once we are able to add the sapi plates in and out it will even everything out. You can tailor your vest further to your own play style. Only a front sapi for basic protection and higher mobility. Front and back plates for general all around balance. Full plates for maximum protection at the cost of weight. Load out trade offs should be a basic thing that should effect everyone. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

While we will work out the ability to increase armor/weight, there wont be a way to chose where the protection value is distributed. That will be as basic as it is today, equal across the whole item.

Aight let me hit the yeet. 

6 full magazines 

2 liters of water 

Radio 

Medical supplies

Equal or less than 15 kg's

Dont get why people with no millitary backgrounds or airsofters telling me what a plate carrier is like. 

Plate carriers are pretty realistic and even worst than real life as it currently is since you can run for so little wearing them. 

Im not a top shape guy or even infantry but i can still run with a plate carrier for around 5km's 

20190527_225505.jpg

2 hours ago, Misho said:

While we will work out the ability to increase armor/weight, there wont be a way to chose where the protection value is distributed. That will be as basic as it is today, equal across the whole item.

Honesty is say leave the plate carrier as is. Right now it’s the best ballistic protection coupled with the modular attachments giving it significantly better stats then any other vest out there. 

Personally id make them rarer, keep them as is, and offer the ability to attach steel plates ( other mods use AR500 plates for plate carrier ) to the soft body armor that has been modded in. The soft body armor is a light armor with light protection but why not give it the ability to boost protection. Attaching the plates to the soft body armor would simply boost the number value given to items for ballistic protection.

What is this soft armor you speak off. Afaik we have no vests modded in just retextures.

3 minutes ago, Misho said:

What is this soft armor you speak off. Afaik we have no vests modded in just retextures.

Doesn’t the retextured anti stab vest have added ballistic protection to it?