Server time (UTC): 2019-12-11, 04:37 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
DERK

Bring Them Back?

Bring Them Back?  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, Roland said:

Absolutely no "group settlements" that are build by and for groups as defensive structures, we have base building for that.

Unique points of interest however, that sounds like a great idea, places that everyone can use and meet at.

Reply to Roland 
I mean I dunno dude, base building can only do so much. That cross roads idea sounded frigging sweet! And if a group had built their lore around that sort of thing + did some big server wide event to make it happen, why shouldn't they reap the rewards? 😮

Base building is cool, but it doesn't quite have the character of places like the diesel plant, raven's nest and hell even trade post, and I think we can all agree base building has it's limits... 

So why not have a more advanced system for groups that have been around for say more than 2-3 months, and have shown interest in building a settlement in that time. 

Picture this my dude:

-Guys wanna do cross roads idea, they ask you to literally just put a broken down train somewhere, and they make a normal base around that train

-They build it up, do cool events there, become a cool ass hub

-After a month or 2 of work they then request permission to make one of these cool permanent bases. They've shown the passion and creativity.... why not reward them?

-If / when such a passionate group falls, a bit of editing to make the base look ruined would add something we have sorely missed in dayzrp of late.... HISTORY! Ruins of past groups and battles. Remember when you got staff to change NWAF after the invasion event? Turn the trade post into ruins once it was removed? Marks on the map from cool stuff done in the past is cool as hell! 

So I implore you to change your mind ^_^ 

Onto the video: 

Gonna start by saying the obligatory stuff:

DAMN THAT WAS GOOD. Maybe my ideas would of been listened to more openly if it had been a really well done video instead of a wall that'd make Trump blush...

All I can say is I 100% agree. I think base building is great, but the potential for unique things to come from player groups with great imagination and passion is well worth giving players the ability to do this!

I'd love it if every group was assigned a different base, so that trading routes could be established based on the bases' unique resources (the ones close to military areas would be trading military supplies, the ones near industrial zones building supplies ecc. ecc.). It'd make for interesting RP, having traders go from settlement to settlement trading their wares, with highwaymen ready to ambush them and take their supplies as their own, just like a Chernarus Silk Road.

Player made structures aren't appropriate for this type of RP tho, as they're sometimes wiped, frequently raided and rather buggy. If we could have approved groups get assigned ownership of admin made settlements, with a size based on the groups' number of members, it'd be great. 

Posted (edited)

I believe some rules may need retooling or new ones being added, but I believe this would be a great thing to try out. Worst case scenario they will be constantly attacked, but it could always be reverted from the server. I have faith that people will respect the settlements and rarely attack especially if rules/guidelines are in place. On the abandoned bases argument I think the traveler brings up a good point with them adding physical history that leaves a legacy on the server. I also support custom group bases as I think long lasting groups should leave a near-permanent impact on the server, naturally there will need to be some fairly strict restrictions on who can make bases and what they can put in bases, but I think the good outweighs the bad for group bases especially considering how limiting and bland the ingame base building is.

Edited by Mangoorange

I approve of this idea. I didn't join this community until mid-2017, but I have been playing dayz mod since 2013, and I aware of this concept. Just never saw it being done here.

To add, I do think of course, we need settlement rules, the only current rules right now is for griefing, which doesn't help when you are offline raided by players who focus primarily on gear, and base-game dayz mindset when playing here.

Derk, as always, your videos are amazing. What a fantastic way to put an idea across. ❤️

I love the idea of multiple bases, whether they are created in game, with a mod or simply just by the adoption of a town. This would encourage trade and movement across the map instead of having one hotspot where there is a tendency towards trolly RP interspersed with attacks.

I think it’s very sad that people with ideas and ambition to establish bases and create hotspots to further roleplay are being deterred by constant attacks. If groups won’t stop attacking bases of their own accord in the interests of good sportsmanship, then rules need to be put in place to help protect them.

We are missing out on amazing opportunities like this.

25 minutes ago, ScarletRose said:

Derk, as always, your videos are amazing. What a fantastic way to put an idea across. ❤️

😎

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mak said:

I'd love it if every group was assigned a different base, so that trading routes could be established based on the bases' unique resources (the ones close to military areas would be trading military supplies, the ones near industrial zones building supplies ecc. ecc.). It'd make for interesting RP, having traders go from settlement to settlement trading their wares, with highwaymen ready to ambush them and take their supplies as their own, just like a Chernarus Silk Road.

Player made structures aren't appropriate for this type of RP tho, as they're sometimes wiped, frequently raided and rather buggy. If we could have approved groups get assigned ownership of admin made settlements, with a size based on the groups' number of members, it'd be great. 

There was a discussion ages back that basically came to the conclusion that trade routes are pretty pointless apart from RP. Pick a place anywhere on the general map (without being a smart arse like choosing Skalisky) and you are guaranteed to get everything you need (military and civie) within 2km of your spot. It's due to the saturated as shit looting system. 

Personally I would of prefered to see a more spread out loot system in the vein of certain items being more likely to be in certain areas of the map (more industrial near the coast, more civie in the north east, maybe more farm and agriculture stuff in the south etc etc). 

But once again the player base has spoken, the idea was shot down as people didn't want to travel, most folk in said discussion said "they want to be where the RP is, not looking for loot and going different areas to get items they need"... 

So this dream of trade routes is pretty dead i'm afraid, just deal with the guy selling 300 different types of rain coats in (inset major hub this month here). 🤷‍♀️

Personally would love to see @DERK make a video on this topic aswell, as it's such a detailed topic it just comes out as a wall of text whenever someone dives deep into the issue :S 

Edited by The Traveler

Who is gone?

21 minutes ago, Chow said:

Who is gone?

No one is gone. Watch the OP's video to get the whole idea of what is going on. 🙂 

@DERK I really REALLY enjoyed the video. Warmed my heart. It is so thoughtful and I love this survivor settlements. I give this a massive +1. It'd be great if it could malfunction and collapse so you have to repair it or else you die from the endangerment. Y'know. But yeah, really good idea!

1 minute ago, Mademoiselle said:

It'd be great if it could malfunction and collapse so you have to repair it or else you die from the endangerment. Y'know. But yeah, really good idea!

@Mademoiselle What's great about this method is that they can be very customizable. Let's say a large RP event took place in one of these locations that would change the structure, or possibly, leave it in ruins. Within just a server restart those changes would become visible. It's dynamic!

This leaves the group with the need to take time and rebuild. This allows us to stretch our RP and Stories. I just love a good story. Dont you?

8 hours ago, Roland said:

Absolutely no "group settlements" that are build by and for groups as defensive structures, we have base building for that.

Unique points of interest however, that sounds like a great idea, places that everyone can use and meet at.

Not even bases, just player-controlled, survivor-oriented plots around the map?

Like a built up train yard, or a small camp in the woods with some permanent tents? I think that's mostly the aim for this, not making an impenetrable base for groups to play fortress with.

8 hours ago, Roland said:

@Roland

I know what you are saying. And I agree.

These two Settlements were not designed defensively to keep players out. In fact, they are quite terrible at doing so. They were built to feel safe from infected. In both cases, there are actually multiple entrances. (You never build a house with only a door) For ease of access and swift evacuation. Any real defenses would have to be performed by the actual characters.

When I was apart of RSM, our leader cared so much about defensives that It actually took away from the real pleasures and aesthetics of having a base of operation. That is not what I want. I want it to Look, Sound, and Feel like a real settlement. Built by survivors.

Posted (edited)

Your video is super cool and I like the idea of adding these settlements!

Changing the topic a bit... I would also like to add a train that connects distant towns. A train station is shown in the video, it would be great if it worked! 🙂

I would not care about initiations in that town, it would be worth the risk for taking the train! XD!

Edited by William89

Posted (edited)

Super cool video. I would love for "settlements" like the one shown in Quarry to be added, even if no set group/player was inhabiting them it would just be cool to have things like that dotted around the map. We are 600 days into the outbreak, I think it's more than believable that there would be several large built-up "settlements" dotted around South Zagoria by this point, even abandoned ones. Places of interest, as Rolle put it.

Edited by Castiel

Posted (edited)

Probably not going to work out, like the previous ones didnt.

Edited by Itsmez

Posted (edited)

As much as I would love to see these types of things there are a number of glaring issues. 

1. Roland said never. Unless you manage to persuade him otherwise it won’t happen. 

2. Groups are not nearly as stable as they once were. Groups use to be active for several months, usually arching at around the 6-8 month mark. Now a groups come and go so often I lose track or of who is who. Shit, the most powerful group was just snapped out of existence recently. With all that groups just don’t last long enough to justify permanent map changes. 

3. There are no settlement rules and a small but vocal minority keeps it that way. Without settlement rules settlements will not survive and they will not work. People just don’t want to be attacked or bullied every time they log onto the server. 

It would be very nice to see new map additions like kab gas station, abandoned chedaki camps in the middle of a forest, more detailed military checkpoints in obscure areas, train wrecks, and the OPs suggestion of camps made but that were perhaps over run or abandoned. 

Edited by Zero

Im not exactly sure about making it for groups as I agree with @Zero, groups come and go like on a assembly line. But I highly support the idea of adding permanent points of interest and/or maybe just simply step by stap adding/changing parts of the map. So it becomes custom edited map of our own, be it DayZRP Chernarus edition.

You'd need settlement rules

More rules is bad, because it's trying to patch a problem that players cause, not the actual game. It's a bandaid to a larger problem not being dealt with. 

For that I'm a -1, despite the amazing video that really sells the value to me. Believe me, I used to try setting up settlements constantly, but being relentlessly attacked every single day I logged in, especially as a neutral / hero oriented group that can't simply rob all my gear back, meant I couldn't be fucked to continue running this place. 

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 7:59 AM, BreadERP said:

The only problem people have with this idea is that it'll be constantly attacked. If I'm not mistaken, this is a violation of rule 2.3. Why are we even having this discussion? Why is it acceptable to just say 'We can't do that because we'll constantly be attacked'. Why is that okay? It shouldn't be. We SHOULD be having a discussion on the implimentation of rule 2.3 in the server, else places like what was mentioned in the video might never be seen again.

I WANT to see something like this happen again, but with the current set of players and ever-increasing hostility, and the loose interpretation of the rules, I just don't see it happening. I want to change that, however. If I ever start up a settlement and it constantly gets attacked, preventing me from RPing in any way, you'd better believe I'd be all up in the forums trying to enforce a rule that is seldom enforced.

This is the sad reality of this server. It sucks that this is how far we've come, but it's not like we have another choice. 

❤️ 

*avoided rant* worded pretty well actually

Fantastic idea. Many groups want to develop settlements. However, as many have already said it would be difficult to implement this due to the current state of the server. We have so many groups of people right now that would repeatedly attack these settlements until nobody would want to be a part of them.

I love the concept and I think that if the server heads in a more serious direction this will be more possible. Therefore I will say I +1 this 100%. However, I think that it will have to wait for now. When it does come about though, it will add so much role play, especially for established groups. We would be talking full-scale settlements in towns and such that would be fortified and everything. It would bring more permanent groups to the server which would be nice to see. Maybe even a small amount of life RP as people living in the settlements could have jobs and such to help them stay afloat. 

Anxious to see if this is implemented one day and if it is I hope I am still here to see it. 

Posted (edited)

I just want to say thank you to everyone’s input and ideas of this topic. And because of you we were able to get this ball rolling.

Thanks to the staff for lending an ear to the community. 

Cheers Y’all.

Edited by DERK

Concept is great I done map editing for chernarus life back in the early days of arma 3 rp I sat down with the various groups involved and talked about settlement they wanted and how best they could be done no to be op. the build anywhere mod briefly gave players that ability but because it was abused it was removed