Server time (UTC): 2019-06-17, 13:47
Sign in to follow this  
pickledeyeball

Character Name Ban Appeal

Link to the source of punishment (report/post): N/A (Kicked off game, then checked website to see this banner)

Why the verdict is not fair: My character was never named and grew up homeless. He was given the name "Shakey" / "Shakes" by his Best friend and mentor. Shakes is a completely legitimate name, and has a backstory to why he's called that. 

Additional statements/comments explaining your point of view: I understand that this may just be an automatic thing that the website/server does, but in the event that it is NOT an automated event, I believe Shakey/Shakes isn't particularly a traditional name, but it isn't Childish, trollish, or any of the above. It's simply a name with a backstory. I've also used this character for quite some time on the server (Roughly 29 hours!)

What would you like to achieve with this appeal: An Unban 

What could you have done better?: Explained my name to a staff member before using.

We do require our characters have first and last names. All character pages have a section for nicknames if you wish your character to be called 'shakes', but he will need a proper first and last name.

On 5/24/2019 at 4:44 AM, Zanaan said:

We do require our characters have first and last names. All character pages have a section for nicknames if you wish your character to be called 'shakes', but he will need a proper first and last name.

Right, My mistake I left that part out in my original post. There is a "last name". It's "Shakey Feet". 

Lastname.PNG

Unfortunately, 

Shakey isn't a valid first name and is a nickname/alias. Please create a new character page with a full, valid name. If you want to be called 'Shakey' in game you can just tell people that's your name in game but you need a valid name on the profile. You can copy your backstory and such over to the new character page as long as you make sure the name has changed and is valid. After you do that, provide that here and we will take a look at it. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, DrMax said:

Shakey isn't a valid first name and is a nickname/alias.

I would beg to differ.

Giving a name to this character would kill this character. He's not meant to have a real name. He was given the name by his mentor and best friend, which is why it has so much meaning to the character.

Even providing a name for just the sake of having this character unbanned would ruin this character for me. It wouldn't feel like the character anymore as soon as I put I name to him.

I'll provide same examples as to why Shakey Feet is legitimate name to be using and why the name can't be changed.

Example 1:

“Shakes” was born 32 years ago in an unknown place, presumed to be on the road with his parents. Shakes never knew his father or mother and was abandoned at an early age.

Here, in the very beginning of Shakey's backstory, I use his alias "Shakes", because he had not been named at that time. Additionally he never knew his parents was abandoned at an early age.

Example 2:

Without the luxury of having any role models in his life, Shakes never learned how to speak, read or write all that well.

Shakes is portrayed here as someone who was abandoned. 100% abandoned,  no one took him in and he couldn't even talk or write. Someone that can't talk and is 100% abandoned would never have a name.

Example 3:

“What’doya call yourself?” Smish asked, again. Shakes looked at him and nodded his head. Smish looked at him again and mumbled “must’nt be that’m all brite..”

When Smish, the local bum who took Shakes under his wing first encountered him, Smish asked his name and Shakes replied with a nod. Granted, Shakes is 8 at the time and can't speak very well, an 8 year old boy that can't speak wouldn't even know his own name (even if he was given one by his parents).

Example 4:

Smish then raised his voice and pointed at Shakes and exclaimed, “...you’boy be shakes now.”

At this moment, Smish named Shakes.. well "Shakes". From that moment on, Smish called him Shakes and mentored him. Shakes learned his name eventually after being called it so many times.

Example 5:

Shakes then pointed to the window above him and continued to shake. Smish began to recognize that Shish wasn’t cold at all, he was doing his best at what he thought was to dance to the music playing from inside.

This is the origin of the name. Why Shakes is called Shakes. Why Smish, A homeless old man who took pity on a young boy that was homeless as well, named him Shakes. Smish isn't all that bright either, and his dialogue in the backstory portrays Smish as a low IQ man, but nonetheless, a wise man of sorts.

Example 6:

Smish dozed off and shakes began to doze off as well. Unknown to the both of them, the fireplace inside the abandoned house had been blocked by years upon years of obstructions. Smoke began to fill the house, and soon a fire started. Luckily, Shakes had awoken coughing and noticed the problem immediately, he attempted to wake his dear friend Smish, but he wouldn't budge. Without any choice left, Shakes left the smoke filled building and saved himself, only to see the house go up into flames, along with his friend. 

This is where Smish dies. Where the only family that Shakes has ever known dies. The man who took him in, mentored him, taught him to speak, the man who named him Died.

Giving this character a name, just for the purpose of just being able to get on the server, ruins the backstory that I wrote for my most beloved character. I understand I can go by "Shakes" or "Shakey Feet" in game and just tell people that, 'Yes, that is my name and I have no other name.' By even allowing me to go by the name in-game shows that there is no problem with my character's name at all. Allowing me to go by that name in game, but not on my character page (where my backstory is written) or in the parameters in-game makes zero sense to me. I understand that staff members may have made decisions similar to this one in where going by an alias for a first name isn't valid. But I'll ask you this, did any of those characters have a backstory that revolved so heavily around that name? Giving a placeholder name is Sacrilege to what I want to RP as. What effect do I have on the community if my name in-game says "Shakey Feet", and what effect do I have on the site for having my character page say "Shakey Feet"?

Additionally, Imagine if you will that I tell a group of people that my name is Shakey, then my mic dies and I have to use text chat. Those folks would see the other name. I understand this is metagaming, but still, you OOC make a mental note of this. A good role-player wouldn't let this affect their RP experience, but a new person might. A bad Role-player might as well. And yes, I can report those people for metagaming, I understand that as well. But Metagaming is a little bit more than that. Maybe I was going to be accepted into a group but now they don't trust me as much. How can I prove that? By simply naming my character Shakey Feet, it would eliminate the struggle of possible metagaming. 

Not to mention, I've played nearly 30 hours on this character with zero issue. No one thought twice about my name, no one cared that my In game name said "Shakey Feet"

...well... I guess until recently.

Additionally I highly recommenced you read my whole backstory on Shakes. The examples given are are good, but you may find a few more examples of why giving this character a name would kill it for me.

Taken from the rules for joining:

Your character page must always include a sensible and realistic name

I believe I meet the requirements. Shakey Feet is realistic according to his backstory, and is 100% sensible.

Edited by pickledeyeball

Since speaking with you in a PM, you have now removed the character page with the invalid name. Now you are playing a character with a valid name which is good. Because of you removing that character page, we have no reason to keep you temp banned, so we will remove that. In the future, if you are unsure if a name Is invalid, PM a staff member and they will help you out and tell you. If not and it is invalid, you will get a PM from someone on our team. 

But with that said, your temp ban has been removed. 

Signed by myself