Server time (UTC): 2019-06-24, 22:44
Sign in to follow this  
Diamond

Loud pop followed by burning smell from PC

as the title says my computer literally exploded while I was playing and scared the Fuck out of me. It won’t turn back on. If anyone knows about computers and could tell me what the fuck that was I appreciate it 😂😢

Your power supply/battery probably blew up.

Posted (edited)

Your shit is props dead try seeing if any of the components work other then the one that blew up.

Edited by Eagle

2 minutes ago, Onyx said:

Your power supply/battery probably blew up.

Did it fry my whole pc you think? It won’t turn back on 

Unplug and take everything that you can out. It's most likely your power supply. Make to ground yourself to piece of metal as you can possibly break the graphics card and other equipment in it though static electricity.

Just now, Eagle said:

Your shit is props dead try seeing if any of the components work other then the one that blew up.

Nothing turns on 

Just now, Diamond said:

Did it fry my whole pc you think? It won’t turn back on 

There is a good chance it may have bricked the whole PC. You would need to swap out the power supply and try a new one, and see if it turns on.

Just now, Falk said:

Unplug and take everything that you can out. It's most likely your power supply. Make to ground yourself to piece of metal as you can possibly break the graphics card and other equipment in it though static electricity.

Ugh. Do you think it cooked my whole machine or I could just replace it and be good?

Just now, Onyx said:

There is a good chance it may have bricked the whole PC. You would need to swap out the power supply and try a new one, and see if it turns on.

Fuck 

Just now, Diamond said:

Ugh. Do you think it cooked my whole machine or I could just replace it and be good?

Depends. The computer would of turned off straight away for safety and whatnot because if it. But again that's a case by case. Have you tried plugin it in another plug? Even at that I wouldn't recommend doing that right now.

While you can get everything out. 

Something went bye bye in there. What are the other symptoms?

I know this sounds odd, but sniff everywhere that there is a connection from the power supply to a component (drives, mobo, etc) at the part where the molex plugs in. The smell left behind will tell you what's dead, and will be isolated to that component usually. If you can't isolate the smell to a particular component, sniff the power supply.

F RIP PC

Hopefully this is an easy fix for you.

Sounds like a battery to me.

Not saying I know what im talking about, but hopefully its just your power supply.

If you heard a pop, and smelled something burning, you need to check a few things. Look at the caps on your motherboard to find if any of them are blown. Shorts can occur, and motherboards do fail, just like PSUs. Everything you described spells PSU failure, and depending your setup, usually should be able to warranty it. If you were able to power it on, it's not likely a bulk cap failure.

Was it an intense stench or just a couple wafts of air? I know when my Mobo fried it was a very light smell for a wee second.

Unplug your PC, peel the tower apart and check for damages, if you are unsure what to look for feel free to post screenshots.

I heavily recommend getting some rubber or insulated gloves, one because touching fried PCB, circuits and electronics in general is icky, and two, it avoids static charge fucking your shit.

New DayZRP feature, when you get killed in-game we blow your computer up. 

Loud pops are almost always capacitors blowing. Google some images, they aren't hard to find.

More then likely as others have said, it was in the power supply. The power supply very likely did not destroy your computer on being nuked, but you won't be able to tell until you get a new power supply and plug it in, or hot-swap components out to a new computer.

How handy are you with computers? Did you build the one you have or buy it pre-built? 

You best hope that your PSU had anti-surge lad, or whatever your PSU connects to may have gone bye bye too.

You have the worst luck with PCs @Diamond

Happened to me last year, with luck it's only your Power Supply but it took my mobo with it when it happened, best take it to a computer shop so they can tell you what to replace. o7

38 minutes ago, Aisling said:

You have the worst luck with PCs @Diamond

Stop it 😞 

Any news on this @Diamond?

Sad to hear that friend @Diamond, It did happen to me a few years back. It was because my power supply was broken/old or maybe just dusty af. However, it did not cause any damage to any of my other components, it might just have been luck idk, but yeah, it sounds like your power supply "blew up"

30 minutes ago, Blake said:

Sad to hear that friend @Diamond, It did happen to me a few years back. It was because my power supply was broken/old or maybe just dusty af. However, it did not cause any damage to any of my other components, it might just have been luck idk, but yeah, it sounds like your power supply "blew up"

I’ll be back ASAP to carry the will of Allah 

47 minutes ago, Falk said:

Any news on this @Diamond?

My dad does computers for a living and he said the power supply died. I’m getting a new one and I should be good hopefully if nothing else busted 

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Happened to me last year, with luck it's only your Power Supply but it took my mobo with it when it happened, best take it to a computer shop so they can tell you what to replace. o7

I’m gonna get a new one and pray 🙏🏻

10 hours ago, Saunders said:

Something went bye bye in there. What are the other symptoms?

I know this sounds odd, but sniff everywhere that there is a connection from the power supply to a component (drives, mobo, etc) at the part where the molex plugs in. The smell left behind will tell you what's dead, and will be isolated to that component usually. If you can't isolate the smell to a particular component, sniff the power supply.

The power supply was flaming hot so I’m guessing it was that 

2 hours ago, CrescentGent said:

You best hope that your PSU had anti-surge lad, or whatever your PSU connects to may have gone bye bye too.

😞 

3 hours ago, Rover said:

Loud pops are almost always capacitors blowing. Google some images, they aren't hard to find.

More then likely as others have said, it was in the power supply. The power supply very likely did not destroy your computer on being nuked, but you won't be able to tell until you get a new power supply and plug it in, or hot-swap components out to a new computer.

How handy are you with computers? Did you build the one you have or buy it pre-built? 

I built it with my pops, he thinks it’s nust a bad PSU. We’re gonna replace it and see 

Replaced powersuply and we good. 🙂 /Solved