Server time (UTC): 2019-09-17, 19:53
Sign in to follow this  
groovy willsky

Addition to the whitelisting & helping new people who joined

Posted (edited)

Hello fellow community roleplay members and staff team,

Following a couple of recent reports (I won't link them as to not discredit the people involved), ex-staff member @Terra and myself have talked a bit and we came to a conclusion :

• The whitelisting process lacks guidelines on what to do on an OOC level when stuff goes wrong in game. 

The only thing about OOC communications currently in the rules is this 3.7 OOC communication should only be done through text chat and only when absolutely necessary. You may not use OOC chat to casually chat with other players in game. Use the "//" prefix to indicate OOC text communication

There is also nothing in the rules about the '//permission to' when conducting hostile RP 

A lot of the new players do not know they can use it to try and resolves issues that happen in game (such as wrong character models/bugs/...) and sometimes they panic and use the ingame VOIP.

• There is nothing in the rules that states that OOC radio's are allowed and to players coming from Arma III communities this makes them think that's it's metagaming
    I can understand the confusion due to this section 3.1 You are required to role play your character at all times while in game. No OOC events or communication may take priority over your role play. You are not allowed to ignore other players attempts to role play with you.

What I propose is the following :

Maybe we could create somekind of small video with a couple of scenario's that are followed by a MCQ about what the appropriate measure should be. Incorporate this either in the whitelisting process or force whitelisted people to watch it before they get Ingame. 

Examples below

• What to do after respawning with the wrong character model and how to fix
  • What to do when a bug happens and you're in the middle of RP
  • how to properly create and format a report

All this with the idea to help out the staff team and reduce their work so they can focus on actual important things.

Any other suggestions are always welcome, I think it's beneficial for the whole community if people with experience can help people who are new to this community. Help them understand how the rules are interpreted in this community to make it easier for them and less annoying for more experienced players. 

Kind regards,

xoxo your fellow community droid Dr Willsky. 

Edited by Dr Willsky

Posted (edited)

This is a great idea. Perhaps organize the video with examples of an appropriate and inappropriate response to the scenarios 

Make it funny, please!

Edited by Oryx

Posted (edited)

I remember when I joined this commutity it was quite hard to get the hang of how to handle certain situations, despite reading the rules carefully. Watching videos of existing members helped me a lot to understand the habits of a serious roleplay server. So I'm definitely in favour of the idea.

However, I think this should be a voluntary thing to watch rather than a part of the whitelist system. Mainly because whitelisting questions are not open for the public, and such a video could even help existing members to better understand the rules. Therefore I think if a video would be created it should be an addition to the rules page.

Edited by Daisy

I want to know what @Roland and staff team thinks of this?

That sounds like just additions and updates to the newcomers guide. There's already a video in there, check it out.

As for making it a part of whitelisting process, it would be very difficult to make it anything more than a step in the process, which I think will just be skipped by 90% of applicants.

13 minutes ago, Roland said:

That sounds like just additions and updates to the newcomers guide. There's already a video in there, check it out.

As for making it a part of whitelisting process, it would be very difficult to make it anything more than a step in the process, which I think will just be skipped by 90% of applicants.

Could it be an idea to enforce the newcomers guide a bit more. Force people to have a read through it?