Server time (UTC): 2019-10-15, 00:19
Sign in to follow this  
BreadERP

Flaming and hypersensitivity

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

Alright Lumen, let's talk about some real facts here.

"also using private conversation screenshots to get someone banned is weak as fuck"

You claim that it is infact, weak as fuck to use a screenshot from a private dm as evidence in an OOC Hate report.

Could you explain to me how this is not belittling or berating others?
Are you suggesting that weak is a compliment? Or a simple statement?
Are you not openly berating and calling another member of this community inferior by stating this?

What logical reason is there for you to add that to the conversation, if not to stir the pot and insult the other party?

Please explain this.

Bruh look at this deep dive into his comment, if your not memeing with this response this is exactly what we are talking about, taking him saying something is weak as fuck as openly berating someone, I think you need to take a step back.

DayZRP has always been quite competitive whether people notice it or not, people strive to "wipe" other clans or out muscle them in RP sense so of course there's going to be heated arguements between players. People are gonna flame each other but anything said on here is so harmless in the long run and I'm sure neither side is ever actually effected, and if you're upset about a rival clan member blurting out something then god damn you gotta grow up quick. 

I personally think private messages should be treated as such, private. Anything said on a platform not hosted by DayZRP should just be a free for all, a really old TS that I use to play on had lets just say, altered images of staff members and community members, those said staff members had seen them on the TS but just laughed it off, but if that shit was posted on the forums it would be a straight up perm, and that would be fair.

Why do people strive to get others banned, when its those same people that are bringing enjoyment to the server for even their enemies? I've seen it sooo many times before and its just stupid at this point.

"These rules apply everywhere, not just things you do, say or send through DayZRP services."

Thats from Rule 1, does that even cover private messages? its the way it should be but 1.1 should literally only be a verbal warning then maybe points if they keep going or straight up points for racism or sexism, but only on the forums or the DayZRP discord, not PMs.

This community was never created with maturity in mind, the forums in 2012/2013 were pretty dope and straight up, no bullshit or worries of "should I post that," nah just fire away, people were allowed to actually be themselves without a filter and it was much better.

Just now, Shroud said:

Bruh look at this deep dive into his comment, if your not memeing with this response this is exactly what we are talking about, taking him saying something is weak as fuck as openly berating someone, I think you need to take a step back.

I appreciate your concern Shroud, clearly we disagree what is and isn't berating and insulting.

In my eyes, inferring that someone is weak is insulting, I say this because I see it as an attempt to claim that, because said person is weak you should disregard them.

You may believe I am over-analyzing, and that is your right, but on a level of discussion of flaming versus hypersensitivity, what I am doing is referring to the core values of the community, and putting those values in contrast to what has been said.

If you disagree with the core values of the community, that is an entirely different conversation.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ducky said:

I appreciate your concern Shroud, clearly we disagree what is and isn't berating and insulting.

In my eyes, inferring that someone is weak is insulting, I say this because I see it as an attempt to claim that, because said person is weak you should disregard them.

You may believe I am over-analyzing, and that is your right, but on a level of discussion of flaming versus hypersensitivity, what I am doing is referring to the core values of the community, and putting those values in contrast to what has been said.

If you disagree with the core values of the community, that is an entirely different conversation.

You do know that when he says "Weak as fuck" he is referring to something as "Stupid" right?

He isn't berating someone and calling them weak, its slang brother

Edited by Shroud

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

What people have been saying why they say "Weak" they mean that it's stupid when people use private messages to get someone pointed/permed.

In my opinion using a private message between two people to get someone pointed is wack

Of course my argument does not apply to people who post personal information about others or criminal behavior. 

Taking the edge case of someone who is genuinely hateful of someone else, to the point where they might be very insulting, I am completely ok with that.

If you disagree with someone and care enough to make a point of banning them, surely it is more effective to actually argue and contend with what they're saying rather than remove them entirely? 

If someone is being unreasonable then their argument should be easily defeated. Banning people based on what they say only shows how weak your position must be if you have to resort to what I suppose is censorship in order to 'win'. 

Hey.  Guys.  You are being "hyper-sensitive" to a single fucking sentence right now.

If you have issues, pm each other and work shit out instead of clouding up this thread with a back and forth on what "weak" means.

Or I don't know?  Maybe use the advice that has been written in this thread multiple times now, and get over it.

Back on topic.  It seems like people will find a way to fight over anything here sometimes.  We aren't solving world peace here, we're playing a zombie apocalypse game with a ruleset that encourages community interaction.  Let's try and have some fun, shall we?

10 minutes ago, MR Pussywhipped said:

We aren't solving world peace here, we're playing a zombie apocalypse game with a ruleset that encourages community interaction.  Let's try and have some fun, shall we?

Thats quite a fence-sitter response imo. Given the size of the thread and the detail that people have put into voicing their opinions, this is a problem that some community members want dealt with and are using a public forum to discuss it. 

No, we aren't solving world peace but passing the problem off as a non-issue is the kind of thinking that leaves problems to fester.

5 minutes ago, MRS Bradtica said:

-snip-

Hello fellow community member MRS Bradtica,

To be absolutely honest the nude picture issues is predominantly  the fault of the person sending those images. Why on earth would you ever do such a thing...
Sooner or later it always turns against you. I've never understood it and I don't think I will ever understand. 

As for all the rest, a lot of people on the internet think they have an 'infinite get-out-jail-for-free card' that's why they pull shit like that (and It seems to me it only gets worse in RP communities) 

Maybe it's because you have a more intimate relationship that transfers over from In-game situations, I don't know. 

People also tend to forget that this is and will always be the internet. We're all a bunch of edgy keyboard warriors mashing plastic keys. It's kinda like a toreador in the arena during a corrida, most of em get to walk away but sometimes one sticks to the horns of the bull...

xoxo your fellow spanish bullfighting enthousiast community member Dr Willsky. 

24 minutes ago, Dr Willsky said:

To be absolutely honest the nude picture issues is predominantly  the fault of the person sending those images. Why on earth would you ever do such a thing...
Sooner or later it always turns against you. I've never understood it and I don't think I will ever understand.

Hard. No.

While there are always measures people can take to protect themselves from certain actions: (IE: keep your money in your wallet and not wear it on your sleeve) it is never the fault of the victim. Don't blame them for someone else being petty about something shared in confidence.

20 minutes ago, Dr Willsky said:

As for all the rest, a lot of people on the internet think they have an 'infinite get-out-jail-for-free card' that's why they pull shit like that (and It seems to me it only gets worse in RP communities) 

Maybe it's because you have a more intimate relationship that transfers over from In-game situations, I don't know. 

People also tend to forget that this is and will always be the internet. We're all a bunch of edgy keyboard warriors mashing plastic keys. It's kinda like a toreador in the arena during a corrida, most of em get to walk away but sometimes one sticks to the horns of the bull...

xoxo your fellow spanish bullfighting enthousiast community member Dr Willsky. 

Hello fellow community member Dr Willsky, 

Intentions are a powerful thing, wouldn't you agree? The intentions typically speaking of sending a nude or to be kept to the sender. While you're right in some aspects, and that it's probably not the smartest thing to trust a nude photograph with a stranger, I'd say that 9/10 the victim isn't sending the nude to a complete stranger. It's usually to someone they love and/or trust. Wouldn't you agree that spreading it among an entire community, making that person feel like an outsider, and ostracizing them from friends that they've made over multiple years is probably the worst part of that? Wouldn't you say that person would be a victim in that scenario?

If you'd happily receive a nude from a person, then it's hypocritical to then turn around and say "well it's your fault for sending that" and you're stupid for doing so. Let me just ruin you with it. If you're one of the few people on this earth that wouldn't accept a nude photograph from someone you're interested in, then I do apologize for looping you into the same category. However, I don't believe that's the case. Hell, I'd happily receive a nude from @MR Pussywhipped.

2 minutes ago, MRS Bradtica said:

Hello fellow community member Dr Willsky, 

Intentions are a powerful thing, wouldn't you agree? The intentions typically speaking of sending a nude or to be kept to the sender. While you're right in some aspects, and that it's probably not the smartest thing to trust a nude photograph with a stranger, I'd say that 9/10 the victim isn't sending the nude to a complete stranger. It's usually to someone they love and/or trust. Wouldn't you agree that spreading it among an entire community, making that person feel like an outsider, and ostracizing them from friends that they've made over multiple years is probably the worst part of that? Wouldn't you say that person would be a victim in that scenario?

If you'd happily receive a nude from a person, then it's hypocritical to then turn around and say "well it's your fault for sending that" and you're stupid for doing so. Let me just ruin you with it. If you're one of the few people on this earth that wouldn't accept a nude photograph from someone you're interested in, then I do apologize for looping you into the same category. However, I don't believe that's the case. Hell, I'd happily receive a nude from @MR Pussywhipped.

'trust/love over the internet' that's the part where you lose me. How can you completely trust someone through a bunch of pixels and 1&0's? 

I'm pretty sure out of your 9/10 cases, 50% of them were impulsive, nonrational choices made as soon as they pressed the send button. 
Maybe it's just me being old fashioned. 

This thread really isn't about the morality of sending nudes to people on the internet ... So before people get hit with UPs or FBs or Flame (as it's a touchy subject) we should move on and continue with the topic at hand. 

Because, I can tell it's gonna maybe spiral outta control ... 

Anyways, I still think that my original point stands that if you don't like the rules of the community then don't participate in the community. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy. 

7 minutes ago, Dr Willsky said:

'trust/love over the internet' that's the part where you lose me. How can you completely trust someone through a bunch of pixels and 1&0's? 

I'm pretty sure out of your 9/10 cases, 50% of them were impulsive, nonrational choices made as soon as they pressed the send button. 

Dispersing nudes to humiliate someone is a douchebag move regardless of the original intent.  

Strange how you decided to pick that one piece out of the post she had made and debate it when the general theme was: we have people out there being outrageous assholes to one another for no good reason other than they can get away with it because...

The internet.

Sensitivity is an issue in this community because people have been shit on time and time again and the cycle continues because people make excuses for it.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Dr Willsky said:

Even if 50% of them WERE impulsive, it's all about consent, you see? Everything sexual should always involve consent. I send Brad a nude, I consent for him to have it/see it. I do not consent for his friends, and an entire community to. 

Could a nude photograph being spread around on the forums be avoided? Absolutely, by not sending nude photographs. But is the person who sent that photograph any less of a victim when it get spreads around? Nah, bud. 

The argument of we're all "pixels and 1&0's" is the problem with this community as a whole. People forget that we're not just pixels, and 1's and 0's... there's a human on the end of the line. Hello, my name is Alexandra, I have a fiance, much younger siblings, two dogs, a cat, a large group of family and friends, and I have a whole life ahead of me. I'm assuming there's a lot more to you than just being "Dr Willsky" (at least I'd hope there is). That's why your argument doesn't jive well with me. And your argument is also why people justify being absolutely horrible to one another, which I also can't get behind. 

So yeah, moving back to the topic at hand, using this as a perfect example of how we can all be a little nicer to one another. Since you know... we're not just pixels on a screen. 

Edited by MRS Bradtica

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MRS Bradtica said:

members making fun of another community member for being unable to have children, nudes of community members spread around, cheating scandals and lies spread in the hopes of tearing relationships apart, edits of people's faces and/or bodies in the attempt to brutally humiliate them, videos dedicated solely to making fun of one individual or a group of people, entire chats making fun of transitioning community members, sexual harassment of community members in many, many forms... And general racism, homophobia, sexism, and cruelty. 

I just want to quote this so more people read it. Don't forget about people flooding IRL pages or involving themselves with the children of others.

It's pathetic, and those that are at fault for this are the exact example of toxicity in this community. And I'm at a lose for words, back when I first found out about these things and still the things that occur. What's worse is when people in the positions of power know about it, but ignore it.

I hope this gets taken as flame, because the accused know who they are and many of us know as well.

Edited by -Chow-

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, MRS Bradtica said:

I'm assuming there's a lot more to you than just being "Dr Willsky" (at least I'd hope there is). 

I'm just a droid tbh,

But ok I understand your point of view and  I respect it, but I think some people mistook predominantly for entirely in my original post. Of course the guy spreading sensitive pictures, that were confided to him, is equally as guilty and douchy. What I stand behind is  that by sending sensitive information on the internet even in trust you take a certain risk because unlike loans/deals/official agreements you have nearly no leverage when shit hits the fan. 

Spreading sensitive information/insulting people/disrespecting them is something I'm not really into. I banter a lot and I say a lot of stupid things but most of aren't in any way, shape or form meant to hurt people. 

As for me I'm just a basic droid, with a big ass students dept trying to help animals out

Edited by Dr Willsky

Posted (edited)

Whew, this thread. I think In extreme cases of bullying and harassment then a ban isn’t stupid imo  

But if its a one time deal and you both get mad at one another and beef and get permd for OOC that’s just uncool. If you intentionally go out of your way to ban someone just because you know you can, also not cool. I think I’m certain situations there is hypersensitivity but not all situations. That’s my lousy 2 cents 

Edited by Diamond

Getting offended on the internet because someone disagrees with you????????????????????????????????????????

Let me call my lawyers real quick

This is a hard one and I can see both sides of the spectrum. If it's not "policed" then you allow the community to be out of control and the more they realize they can get away with the worst it becomes, i've seen it before in other communities i've been in and it creates a toxic place ultimately ending in the community dying. But same goes for the other side of the spectrum where you ban every single person who even slightly insults someone, people get fed up and are scared to speak their minds and throw minor insults due to them being banned and they feel so suppressed that they end up leaving ultimately ending in the community dying.

I don't think people realize how how it is for staff of a community to get the balance right and there are always going to be mistakes hence why we have an appeal system. This issue is the same with every community we just have to try our hardest to get the balance right and that's very much easier said than done. I think as community members we should take responsbility and think before we post, leave ic beef ic and don't let ooc hate enter ic.

I'd also much rather see constructive critism than straight up flaming/insulting too, were all adults here (or most of us) and we should really be more respectful of each other because being at each others throats all the time will only hurt the community as a whole. If we work together this place can thrive better than ever!