Server time (UTC): 2019-06-17, 09:52
Sign in to follow this  
FalkRP

Guns.

Guns  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

Staff/Dev are making it so you cant put guns in barrels or 'certain storage containers'. If we go back to the old days where you didn't have underground bases, and all you had was tents and barrels and you could find them easy enough. 

IMO this will better because people can find guns, people can have guns in hidden. 

What do you think? 

Edited by Falk
#savecamps.

Just now, RossGodds said:

so make it so no guns can be stored underground ??

yeah pretty much 

I like this removes the hoarding people already do.

Remove the ability to store guns underground and I think were fine. 
I know Aeryes was working on a script to prevent the storage of weapons (SMG size and up I believe) in drybags and the new safe the devs made. I support this, but I am against the idea of removing weapon storage from barrels. A lot of traders use barrels as well as tents to store stuff in their public camps and if we restrict it to only tents then the traders will run out of space quite quickly. No one wants to navigate a maze of tents just to enter/exit the camp and it means less space for RPers

So there is no ‘right’ way to keep the balance of weapons right on the server. First off the server sees a lot of players, some come on, gear up and don’t play again for days, weeks or months. Those guns are gone. The. You have the other concurrent players who are in varrying  states of gear and they have guns. Then you have people who make small personal stashes of 1-3 guns and then you have large group stashes of 5-10 guns. All of this adds up and especially over the course of a wipe. 

This is supposed to happen over the course of a persistence wipe. Simply put, enough guns are not being destroyed or despawned for them to respawn quick enough. The only way I can see to combat this is to add a limit to how many rifles can ‘fit’ in a tent or barrel. This forcing of a set limit would make it harder to stash massive quantities of high grade rifles and keep them from spawning for other players. The other way to do this is to modify the spawn ratios. Make western weapons fall quicker to the persistence spawns while AK based rifles remain common longer....as they should b. Alternative we could make all weapons fairly common to find throughout and make ammunition harder to find over the span of a wipe. Players would have to think about their shots more and not be running around with 10000+ of ammo

The ultimate storage container is a run-of-the-mill whitename that carries half the map's rifles on him. You need nothing else.

On the off chance that they go extinct, I'd still like to have my barrel as a backup. They're easy to find if you know where to look, aren't buried underground and have an appropriate storage capacity for their size. They're also unwieldy to transport so its not as if there's no downsides to using them.

Not sure about this idea, But if someone doesn't play for like 2 weeks, could their character be wiped? not sure how this could be done as I know nothing about it. But might help a bit? 

2 weeks is a little short maybe 2 months, People have stuff to do IRL. But I don't think it is possible to wipe a certain player. Could be wrong

3 minutes ago, Falk said:

Not sure about this idea, But if someone doesn't play for like 2 weeks, could their character be wiped? not sure how this could be done as I know nothing about it. But might help a bit? 

Not everyone can play every day or even longer. I don’t think there should be a punishment for not playing consistently.

perhaps just frequent wipes of stashes could be the fix? Every month or two just wipe all stashes, tents and barrels. You can know about said wipe and grab as much as you can carry with you but more will be lost then what people can carry thus putting guns back into the economy.

Posted (edited)

Do a server wipe for storage every month or so, And do a character wipe for big updates.? 

Edited by Falk

I think the best options are: Wipes every month and container timers of 1 week, so that way forgotten or completely abandoned stashes don’t affect the server so much.

Currently, the persistent timer for a container is 45 days, if I’m not mistaken. This is way too long, and allows untouched stashes to be around for way too long. Shortening the timers for untouched containers allows for guns and anything else to return to the loot economy faster.

The reason barrels are included in this is because people exploit it by placing it inside trees or underwater in murky lakes. It's not meant to be used like this but there's currently a glitch where you can place it inside other things, hence we want to include barrels.

Tents can be found and raided by other players, a well hidden barrel or stash will just stay there with the hoarded weapon.

We figure we do a test with the wipe that is coming up, if it's a complete no no for the server we can revert it but generally the only reason to hoard rifles is for the shits or pure PvP goals. Nothing against PvP but without the process of looting up again it takes a way from the purpose of RP a fair bit.

Posted (edited)

Gonna remind folks that Rolle can turn off "Flags" for certain items in the game... 

I.e: The server has a flag limit for each item in the game. When it reaches that limit, no more spawns. 

Main flags are:
Count_In_map (These are items on the floor)
Crafted (Items of this type that are crafted)
Count_In_Cargo ( Things inside vehicles)
Count_In_hoarder (I believe this is tents and what not)
Count_In_player ( How many in players inventories). 

For most normal day to day items, the flag count is set to 0 on everything but "Count_in_map", in turn most these settings don't count towards the flag limit... 

Weapons on the other hand... well I think ya'll can guess...  

This is why there are never "Make tents have no [Insert other item other than guns here]" threads. 

Simple solution? Turn off the Count_In_Cargo + Count_In_Hoarder flags for weapons, but double  (maybe even triple) the flag count for Count_In_Map to avoid loot cycling (By having only 1/3 the weapons spawn per cycle, but allowing for weapons to respawn on the regular. 

tl;dr: Rather than getting rid of storage options, why not get rid of the mechanic that makes hoarding = No weapons for anyone else. 

Edited by The Traveler

2 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

tl;dr: Rather than getting rid of storage options, why not get rid of the mechanic that makes hoarding = No weapons for anyone else. 

Because, spawning more guns only leads to more guns being hoarded away, and you get a over saturation of weapons spawned on the server resulting in an increase in entities, leading to server performance issues worse than currently.

4 minutes ago, Misho said:

Because, spawning more guns only leads to more guns being hoarded away, and you get a over saturation of weapons spawned on the server resulting in an increase in entities, leading to server performance issues worse than currently.

Got a news flash son, making guns unable to be hoarded mean more people with have em on their person, which means the flag cap doesn't go up... but more of those items will be in server. 

Also as a note, item number / server performance has not been extensively tested. I propose we do that test on a server scale. 

Roll out the flag change after a clean server wipe for testing purposes, see how it goes for a month, if shit's good we gucci... if not at least we tried and tested rather than, and excuse the term, got too scared to fart in fear of shitting one's self. 

Yes, I hate that people have the ability to literally loot goblin their shit underground for weeks on end so that the shit doesn’t spawn anymore

7 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

Got a news flash son, making guns unable to be hoarded mean more people with have em on their person, which means the flag cap doesn't go up... but more of those items will be in server. 

Also as a note, item number / server performance has not been extensively tested. I propose we do that test on a server scale. 

Roll out the flag change after a clean server wipe for testing purposes, see how it goes for a month, if shit's good we gucci... if not at least we tried and tested rather than, and excuse the term, got too scared to fart in fear of shitting one's self. 

Server performance is dog shit with its current cap being so high. Cars don’t even work and if it’s capped zombies stop working as well. 

1 minute ago, Zero said:

Server performance is dog shit with its current cap being so high. Cars don’t even work and if it’s capped zombies stop working as well. 

And you know it's the item limit being the issue because?

Hate to say it but the more likely problem is player numbers rather than item cap. The item cap as far as I know was NOT increased to compensate for increased players (another symptom of our issue here on this thread).

But to clarify

Number of players = Increased

Item cap numbers = stayed the same

Performance = Slow as all hell

Item cap has feck all to do with performance and no big tests have been done to confirm or deny this claim. 

What I propose is: 

DayZRP Patch 19.5.3 

-Server number reduce to 60 players (to ensure decent % of players on both servers at peak times, as opposed to 80 on one server and 20 on another)
-"Count_In_hoarder" Item flags for weapons in storage changed to 0
-Nominal flag number for weapons reduced by half
-Restock time increased by 1/3 to stop loot cycling from new system

Patcher's note: THIS UPDATE WILL BE REVERTED AFTER 2 WEEKS IF SERVER PERFORMANCE SUFFERS

To keep guns out of any container that can be buried I think is a good call. In terms of backpacks I hope there is a way to prevent guns from going in ONLY dry bags, instead of ALL backpacks.

Guns should be able to be stashed in tents and barrels because they're massive and can be found pretty easily if hidden in debug/forest/etc. Plus huge trading hubs/camps would be fucked otherwise.

Why not just remove guns altogether tbh...

Seriously though +1 please no more discovering stashes with 6 rifles in them tyty

1 hour ago, The Traveler said:

-snip-

I'm just saying that putting more strain on the server would not help it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the more items you have to load in or more items on the map results in a dip in server performance. Can I say it will be noticeable? No I can't.

+1 to this. Too many loot goblins taking away all the guns and then never even using them, or just hoarding guns 24/7.

1 hour ago, Zero said:

I'm just saying that putting more strain on the server would not help it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the more items you have to load in or more items on the map results in a dip in server performance. Can I say it will be noticeable? No I can't.

As someone who actually is a rocket scientist, i'd bet my degree that item numbers stored server side are likely to effect the server performance about 90% less than the max number of players.

Reduce the player count to 60/70 , get rid of item caps on weapons. 

Tl;dr: I'd rather do action on a hunch, potentially solving the issue, as opposed to  doing nothing on a hunch that it won't work as intended. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Misho said:

I just had a thought today, what if we just set it so guns in storage degrade over time at an accelerated rate. In other words if you want to horde you are going to need time to constantly open your stash and pull it out/put it back as well as weapon repair kits to constantly keep repairing the weapon.

Really makes it not worth storing them.