Server time: 2019-05-24, 12:06
Sign in to follow this  
CrescentGent

Dual Monitor Question

Right, here we go.

I have been using a lil 24 inch TV as a monitor for awhile, does me exactly what I need and I don't plan to change out of it until I get some money in. I dug up an old monitor, an Acer X203H which as a quick Google search will tell you, only takes VGA input. My lil TV takes HDMI but only has 1 HDMI port on the back.

My question is, is there a way of going dual monitors with one monitor only supporting HDMI and the other supporting only a VGA. I've tried it but no image on the VGA supported monitor. Pls send halp.

P.S. Never had dual monitors, I'm new to the scene, don't judge. Kthx.

I'm by no means an expert on dual monitors (never used any myself, I get by with just one) but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. The only downside would be that image on your VGA screen wouldn't be as crisp and clear as on your HDMI screen. I believe you need to check out your settings. Maybe they're not set properly to display image on both screens?

Get a adapter for your GPU! Most take more than one type of video input slot.

I used to have HDMI, and VGA with a VGA to HDMI adapter for my other monitor. 

1 minute ago, Brayces said:

-snip-

I run with an RX470, it has 1 HDMI 2.0 and 3 HDMI 3.0's, do you know if I can just connect the HDMI straight to the motherboard or does it have to be via the GPU?

9 minutes ago, CrescentGent said:

I run with an RX470, it has 1 HDMI 2.0 and 3 HDMI 3.0's, do you know if I can just connect the HDMI straight to the motherboard or does it have to be via the GPU?

Depends, your mobo may be able to run a monitor if it has integrated graphics but you should be using your GPU if it's installed and drivers are installed for it. You also may need to go into your BIOS and enable the VGA port on the Motherboard. 

Just get a adapter they're like 6 bucks on Amazon.

Just now, Brayces said:

-snip-

Lookin at em right now, appreciate it!

1 minute ago, CrescentGent said:

Lookin at em right now, appreciate it!

Yeeee! Lemme know if you have any other issues, hardware isn't my forte but I've had my pains and struggles with VGA/HDMI and monitor pains. 

Posted (edited)

Have you tried right clicking your desktop and made sure the multiple displays setting shows as "extend these displays"? You may currently have it on the "only show 1 display" setting which would cause this if what you're explaining is what i think you are.

If that doesn't work then buy an adapter as Brayces has mentioned and it will fix your issue.

Edited by Saunders

Just now, Brayces said:

-snip-

I'll let ya know, quick ass response too. Love ya ❤️ 

1 minute ago, Saunders said:

-snip-

It's not detecting it at all when I click "Detect Displays" - Gives me no extend display option 😞 

1 minute ago, CrescentGent said:

I'll let ya know, quick ass response too. Love ya ❤️ 

It's not detecting it at all when I click "Detect Displays" - Gives me no extend display option 😞 

Try just using the new monitor and see if it works without the other monitor. If you'd like to talk about this on discord feel free to add/pm me Brett#1337 (it's a capital B)