Server time: 2019-05-21, 01:35
Hollows

Compensation for Unjust Bans

Compensation for Unjust Bans  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey, Hollows here. I had a thought that I've been squatting on for a while now, and that is: Should there be compensation for unjust bans?

Example:

In @Shroud's appeal, for example, he was banned and was forced to wait out 3 days for something which was ultimately founded to be inconclusive. Why is it fair for him to wait out three days for this, and receive nothing from it? My suggestion for this is simple; either Appeals are to be /solved in a timely manner to overturn/overwrite a ban timer, or we should produce some form of compensation to the banned player (e.g. 1 Free item from the DayZRP Store, possibly a lower level forum perk if they aren't already a higher rank.)

Opinions?

Edited by Hollows

like- for example

you get a 3 day ban

you post an appeal

4 days later its approved

5 euros on store? or wym

1 minute ago, California said:

like- for example

you get a 3 day ban

you post an appeal

4 days later its approved

5 euros on store? or wym

Yeah, my bad. I didn't mean to submit the thread when I did I forgot I didn't fill out the composition part. Whoops.

Just now, Hollows said:

Yeah, my bad. I didn't mean to submit the thread when I did I forgot I didn't fill out the composition part. Whoops.

though its a nice though, i'd just prefer if admins would actually just do appeals in a timely manner 🙂

I voted yes but at the same time I feel as if it could be abused somehow such as people getting themselves into questionable situations or do questionable things just to get some free stuff.

I do agree that people should get compensation. I just have no idea what the compensation would be as to not abuse the system.

Depending on the severity of the unjust ban (3 would be less than 7), or even unjust points - I think a compensation should and would definitely justify the wrongful punishment.

Now, like Zombru pointed out, people getting into questionable situations, could possibly increase, just for some free stuff.

To counter that, I think the compensation would need to be for VERY serious matters only - Invalid Kills, RDMs, KoSs'. - The rest, should stay as is, (BadRP, Flame Baiting, etc).

Now for unjust warning points - I think the only realistic compensation for these, again depending on the severity, would be a low tier item on the shop - or a free banner/name change whenever you request - valued at one request per punishment.

Just my two cents.

No, admins are real people with real lives who help the community by performing different tasks because... (why do they do this???? are they generous? have too much free time? do they really enjoy???? I would never be an admin!)... because of their love for this community. I appreciate their job (in most cases) and I think that they should not give any sort of compensation for menial mistakes that are always subject to interpretation.

A three day ban is nothing, you can enjoy your time finding a new hobby! XD!

(my opinion about permabans is, of course, entirely different)

Edited by William89

I voted other, I’d like to see the staff members punished for handing out bans that are unjust. 

You do something wrong at work your boss shouts at you and you get a warning, I feel this should be the same. You warn someone for the wrong thing your not allowed to give out warnings until you can prove otherwise. 

You give out multiple bad verdicts that get over turned by a Admin your removed from giving verdicts until you can prove otherwise.

"Financial" contribution will never happen.

I agree with @neom and @Bot Elmo. More punitive actions towards staff who mess up. We all make mistakes, that is fine, but when you repeat the same mistakes, than there is clearly an issue.

Appeals could also be handled quicker. It's a joke to be banned for 3 days, getting an appeal approved after 4 days. If anything, appeals should be prioritised over reports imo.

I've voted OTHER but mostly because I'm neutral in that instance. I don't really believe people should be compensated because it's a system that could be easily abused by those looking for a free stuff. Unless it's something severe like RDM punishment. Obviously not a lot of people are going to risk being accused of something really bad just for, let's say, a free item from our shop.

I don't think a compensation is needed, since a few days ban is not that much of a punishment. Sure it is unjust, but you don't get banned everyday for no reason. If I was banned unjustified I would probably be appeased when my points were removed.

The only issue I see is with people who are aiming for a dedicated player title. When you loose your progression of days played in a row due to an unjust ban, that seems pretty unfair. But it would probably be too much effort to implement a system for that problem.

I totally agree with compensation. The removal of points means nothing, unless you are racking up points left right and centre, 5/10 points is nothing in the grand scheme of things. So for having to be forced off the game for 3-7 days for something that was found to be fine is a real ball-ache, for both the RP scenarios and the fact you then have to listen to all your pals havin' a great time whilst you sit there twiddling your thumbs and refreshing your appeal. 

I think like a euro on the store for each day you were banned would be nice, that way people who were off for 7 days can have a pair of aviators or something. 

Sure. Some motivation for reports to be done in a timely matter as well as appeals. There’s been a few instances of logs for reports not being pulled for like five days, then the wrong logs were pulled, then the report takes almost two weeks, just for the verdict to make no sense and then that appeal takes another five days to solve when it was a two or three day ban. 

However I more so think that staff members who fuck up cosntantly should have some sort of punishment instead. That would be preferable. Someone who just can’t seem to do anything right should not be in staff period, or at least should be demoted. 

Edited by YNW Jasper

It sucks to be banned unjust and then wait for your appeal and that in most cases takes longer then your ban

So compensation of some sort would be nice

Edited by YNW BorisOGRBRP

The root of the problem is just that appeals usually take longer to solve than the ban itself. 

I think compensation should happen only in specific cases and not just anyone who was banned unjust. 

3 hours ago, Bot Elmo said:

I’d rather increasingly punitive action be taken against staff members that repeatedly cock up verdicts.

This.

If you repeatedly cock up to the point it’s just a reoccurring thing and it’s something that is so obvious it leaves the entirety of the people who have read it, including the Admin who read and approved the appeal saying ‘How the fuck did you come up with this?’ Then like points you should have a punishment.

A 3 strike system in staff for verdicts that were wrong would be nice.

Would also be nice if the appeals didn’t take longer than the ban time itself so people don’t take the brunt of a full punishment for something they didn’t do. 

As a business I don’t think you should get anything free from the item store, big or small. The community runs off of what is spent there, not magic.

I think the staff team needs more GM's and admins that can do appeals. 

Currently there are only 2 admins to do all appeals which i think is a big problem and the reason why it's taking forever to do appeals. Since only Admins can do appeals on verdicts made by GM's there should be more admins than just 2. I have no idea why the admin team has been kept at 2 for a long time but they should find two GM's that can be promoted to admin so the process can be sped up. 

Also, Compensation shouldn't be given since this problem lies in how long it takes to do an appeal and not that there is no compensation afterwards. Being banned for a wrong verdict is something that you'll just have to deal with and the only solution is to add more staff members that can do appeals and not just have one American and one British admin. 

1 minute ago, NozzyRP said:

Since only Admins can do appeals on verdicts made by GM's

Since when is this the case? GMs could do appeals in the past, why wouldn't they be able to do so now?

1 minute ago, AndreyQ said:

Since when is this the case? GMs could do appeals in the past, why wouldn't they be able to do so now?

I was under the impression that GM's could not do appeals on other GM's, my apologies if i'm wrong. I thought that since they are on the same level they can't overturn each others decision

Edited by NozzyRP

It is about motivation, experienced people & about working together. Punishment or compensation wont help the process, imo. I think it needs an internal get together for the staff team to discuss how to handle any tasks in the fitting time frame.

• Who keeps an eye on thread notes missing for a case to be dealt with?
  • Who can keep an eye on pending appeals/reports piling up?
  • What can be a motivational factor for the GM's or Admins to get to work? A workload they deal with in their free time to support the community. 
  • Is there too much workload for the team to deal with in the current tasks?
  • What is effecting the quality & quantity of verdicts?
  • Is the discrepancy in quality of verdicts a topic of a ranting community or is it worth bringing it up in an internal GM/Staff meeting/chat too? 
  • How can one improve as a Game Master/Admin?
  • What can help a Game Master/Admin to improve his skills in judging situations case by case?
  • Is the given system of protocols & rules supporting the work of Admins & GM's?
  • How can the staff team provide the chance of a second review of a case within the given time frame?

I get that people grab torches & pitch forks because they have been treated unfair. I think it is worth to take a look at the bigger picture while figuring out a possible change for the current situation. I also think it is important to figure who exactly wants change.

Edited by Ron

6 hours ago, Bot Elmo said:

I’d rather increasingly punitive action be taken against staff members that repeatedly cock up verdicts.

This ^^

If staff members are seen repeatedly fucking up verdicts you shouldn't be that rank in staff, js. 

Edit: this doesn't just go for the verdict itself. If you sign off on repeated verdicts that are wrong, you shouldn't be at that rank either. Being a background +1 is still as bad. 

Edited by Para

I say if a verdict is cocked up, and the appeal is successful and is determined to be a staff cock up, the staff members that cocked up should have the original punishment the innocent party was given. 

End of the day apart from eventual removal from staff (which usually takes a grand while if it's due to consistent fuck ups over like a 3 month period) does nothing for the poor bugger who gets hit with a false 3- 7 day ban... 

8 hours ago, Hollows said:

Hey, Hollows here. I had a thought that I've been squatting on for a while now, and that is: Should there be compensation for unjust bans?

Example:

In @Shroud's appeal, for example, he was banned and was forced to wait out 3 days for something which was ultimately founded to be inconclusive. Why is it fair for him to wait out three days for this, and receive nothing from it? My suggestion for this is simple; either Appeals are to be /solved in a timely manner to overturn/overwrite a ban timer, or we should produce some form of compensation to the banned player (e.g. 1 Free item from the DayZRP Store, possibly a lower level forum perk if they aren't already a higher rank.)

Opinions?

Mmm, no. First off Shroud's appeal is a terrible example because it was being held up by forces outside of staff's control that I will not go into, but was related to his appeal. That being said for all of those talking about taking punitive actions against staff, staff sometimes get things wrong. They are not infallible. And more importantly they are volunteers, something people here seem to constantly forget. There is literally zero reward for being staff other than being staff. And because of that, and because of the standards we set when reviewing applications, replacing staff members is not an easy task.

I apologize that occasionally mistakes are made, but that does not mean we are going to rain account credits upon you, or ban/remove staff for making mistakes. Just deal with it, take a breather, and if your ban is deemed unjustified it will be reversed.

Hello gamers, Onyx here.

I am pretty neutral on the whole compensation idea, I can see the positives and the negatives of the whole thing. As for the punishment idea based on how much you mess up, I don't really have an opinion either, however I wouldn't mind it on a personal level. 

Personally, I think a good way for you guys to interact with us and make your concerns known is to utilise our feedback threads, we all have one. I can't speak for other staff members, but I have never shied away from criticism from any of the community and have taken responsibility for my actions before, and will continue to do so. I urge anybody who has a problem with the way I, or any other staff member, operates, to please PM us or leave us feedback so we can improve.