Server time (UTC): 2019-08-19, 19:40
Sign in to follow this  
TryaxReck

Authoritarianism

Ive been studying totalitarian, authoritarian, and other equally brutal regimes in preparation for a project. Are there any DayZRP groups (active or archived)  that could spark some inspiration? Im looking for more evil empire type deals, with more official lawful evil styles. I'd really appreciate links to the group, some firsthand accounts, etc.

I'm also reading on 1984 for a bit of inspiration there,  and id also like to know what would make you STAY in an authoritarian regime, of your own accord. Protection, food, are obvious, but anything else that could sway your conscious to the "dark" side so to speak?

Thank you for your time, and I appreciate all your answers.

Haven't ran any authoritarian groups so i'll not answer that part

what would make you STAY in an authoritarian regime, of your own accord. Protection, food, are obvious, but anything else that could sway your conscious to the "dark" side so to speak?

For me i would stay in an authoritarian regime as long as it had a right-wing/Nationalistic view and policy. If it still had a free-market oriented economy where private ownership was respected is also a big thing for me. I would like to be able to own my house without people coming and taking it away, i realize this could happen in ANY authoritarian regime but with a free-market oriented economy this would happen less frequentely (and probably would only happen to the opposition) 

Other than the economy the government would have to have be nationalistic and support the traditions of my country and our old institutions (such as The Church of Sweden and The Monarchy) They should make sure the little man can live a good life and support a family of 2 kids or more. They should also be really tough on crime and make sure criminals stay locked up for a long time and the ones who can get rehabilitation get a chance to try it. 

I can go on and on but i'll stop there so it doesn't become a long rant, these are the things i would prioritize the most ^

I like to think Kamenici as lawful evil, will do what my character, and our groups ideas are right, even if it means killing every foreigner in the land.

The house would be lawful to neutral  evil as well, they have their mindset and stick to it, regardless of who gets hurt for it. 

Being any form of ‘evil’ means being a hostile group, but lawful compared to chaotic or neutral would be a bit different between total Anarchytm or just doing w/e you want (neutral) or purposefully hurting people with no goal but to be a nuisance(chaotic)

Totalitarian, authoritarian and lawful evil?

Add in a sprinkle of Nationalist and you got Zbor, The National Renewal Movement of Chernarus.

Look it up, it was great.

I cant answer your first part but I have some ideas for the second. I think a lot of what an authoritarian regime would need to make people stay is fear. The fear that if you betray "The party", "The King", "The State", whatever you want to call it, will be met with force. For a Dayz example all the members of the regime would sign there names in some sort of notebook of the entire community. The fear would be, if someone leaves the regime is going to find them. Your RP ideas here could be bounty hunters going after this person for a reward or something like demanding a group harboring "an enemy of the regime" to hand them over. 

Also another reason to stay is the clear, obvious devotion of the leader who is doing all this for YOU the citizen and struggling survivor needing a home. A charismatic dictator can do wonders.

The current Nationalist-Statist government of Chernarus for example. 

Posted (edited)

@TryaxReck have you considered the possibility that, perhaps, right now you could be part of a totalitarian, evil regime, and you do not know because nobody around you calls it with those names? That perhaps what you call the "dark" side of other people is just the same as your "normal" side, but you cannot see it yourself because you do not have a mirror to look at yourself?

Think of it. It is too easy to judge past forms of government in retrospective, but I do not think that anyone wants to be a part of something evil in real life.

In game yes because it is fun: the Kamenici are the best example! XD!

Edited by William89

Thanks for the responses everyone!

@William89, thats something I was thinking heavily. Who wants to be labelled a dictatorship when you can just call it a republic? The virtues of a steady hand in a chaotic world. Who cares that the steady hand can sometimes turn into a fist once in awhile? At least you aren't dead.

@Major Detailed lore link to that statist Chernarussia? Ive seen a territory map in the trade event you made, but thats as much I know.

@SubdigitalGJ That is true, charisma is important. The hearts and minds must be won not ONLY by force, but of their own volition. Ill be sure to keep that in mind!

@Ducky You got a group archive link for that? I'll be sure to check it out.

@California Kamenci eh? I'll DEFINITELY check out that then. Gotta learn from the best, right?

@NozzyRP, thanks for the personal view into what you think of authoritarianism. It ties back into what subdigital says, people can't always just be forced to participate, they have to have good reasons to stay. I will be sure to keep in mind property and taxes and even ideology when forming my idea into an actual tangible thing.

I do have another question I thought up however: What would be the WORST  things an authoritarian government can do? Whether it be cliche, stupid, or just a bad idea. What would you consider the 'badRP' of a thing such as this?

1 hour ago, TryaxReck said:

Thanks for the responses everyone!

@William89, thats something I was thinking heavily. Who wants to be labelled a dictatorship when you can just call it a republic? The virtues of a steady hand in a chaotic world. Who cares that the steady hand can sometimes turn into a fist once in awhile? At least you aren't dead.

@Major Detailed lore link to that statist Chernarussia? Ive seen a territory map in the trade event you made, but thats as much I know.

@SubdigitalGJ That is true, charisma is important. The hearts and minds must be won not ONLY by force, but of their own volition. Ill be sure to keep that in mind!

@Ducky You got a group archive link for that? I'll be sure to check it out.

@California Kamenci eh? I'll DEFINITELY check out that then. Gotta learn from the best, right?

@NozzyRP, thanks for the personal view into what you think of authoritarianism. It ties back into what subdigital says, people can't always just be forced to participate, they have to have good reasons to stay. I will be sure to keep in mind property and taxes and even ideology when forming my idea into an actual tangible thing.

I do have another question I thought up however: What would be the WORST  things an authoritarian government can do? Whether it be cliche, stupid, or just a bad idea. What would you consider the 'badRP' of a thing such as this?