Server time (UTC): 2019-07-20, 08:39
Sign in to follow this  
APositiveElmo

Combat Logging

CL Rule Amendment Poll  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There's no discussion to be had. In fact it was already had and this rule change is a no brainer for everyone except Roland.

-USER HAS BEEN WARNED FOR THIS POST-

55 minutes ago, MatthewFC said:

There's no discussion to be had. In fact it was already had and this rule change is a no brainer for everyone except Roland.

This seems to be a recurring theme /s

i mean I understand his argument, I do. It’s just like...it ain’t that hard. If you were the hostage and don’t plan on using kill rights why should you have to stay? If a report happens and a GM asks just say you were the hostage and have the hostage taker corroborate this. Easy. 

If you were a complying hostage that didn't do anything to give them kill rights on you, you should be allowed to log out without issue. If no one has kill rights on you, there is no reason you are stuck playing for 30 minutes before you can bail.

If you do the crime, stay online.

Big +1 from my side. Let hostage log out and don't annoy ppl who always have been okay logging after a situation which was forced upon them.

+1

Suggested the same a while back

There is no proper argument against changing the rule. That part of the rule was never enforced before even though the wording was the same. Either the GMs should go back to not enforcing it or even better, we should change the rules wording to represent how it should be (see link for exact wording change that would work)

Maybe whenever the capture sets free the hostages and the hostages want to log out, he or she should ask permission to do it?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Horse said:

Maybe whenever the capture sets free the hostages and the hostages want to log out, he or she should ask permission to do it?

Sure, you can ask for perms to log but sometimes you wont get the chance or you might forget and sometimes when people don't particularly like someone OOC they might not even give perms out of spite and pettiness.

Edited by Osku

There shouldn't be such a issue regarding this, If you wanted to log or need to log just clarify //OOC if you can have perms to log once the situation has occurred, However i could see how this could become an issue if people out of spite do not grant the permission or just you simply forget to ask . 

But what if someone releases the hostage to follow 'em?

2 hours ago, LumenRP said:

But what if someone releases the hostage to follow 'em?

When they have to log what you wanna do then? Force them to stay on? 😄

I mean in any way you wouldn't get anything from it. 

When they stay on the server, follow them.

When they don't and they needed to log... then you wanna force them to stay on just to follow them? Why? 😉

This should have always been the case.

Wise words from a man of questionable origin @Bot Elmo.

+1

Generally, if you are a compliant hostage, you have not chosen to be in that position and have had it forced upon you, whereas with the hostage taker they have chosen to give someone kos rights on them and taken on the requirement of having to give "decent" RP and to have to wait out another 30 mins after they let the hostage go.  I don't see why someone who has chosen to take the extra 30 should be considered as being in the same position as someone who probably hasn't had any say in the situation.

I'm pretty sure there used to be a lot of report verdicts that basically supported this very point saying something along the lines of "if you don't have the time to wait the extra 30 minutes you shouldn't be taking people hostage/robbing people, you made that choice so you must wait out the 30."

Yes, it is different now in the way entire groups gain rights, but if you as a hostage have no intention of anything other than breaking line of sight and logging, you should be allowed.

Posted (edited)

Sadly, it's always been like this AFAIK, I remember being banned and pointed for logging out to report 3 guys who tried to KoS me, so that''s nothing new. But I agree that being on the receiving end of a robbery or taken hostage, should you chose to forfeit your revenge rights, you should be allowed to log out without repercussions.

Edited by OldSchoolOG

It just seems weird to me.  Like staff is actively looking for these "rulebreaks" now.

I don't see the point, if someone gets reported for combat logging because it actually broke up substantial RP, then yeah i get that as a ban.

But if people log out and no one is affected by it....in any way.  What's the point? 

People are getting points and bans on a damn technicality.  We let people talk out and close reports all the time, if we aren't going to change the rule, maybe asking "was anyone effected by (insert username here) early log out?"in a report would be a good way to avoid points that really don't matter.

18 hours ago, Lyca said:

When they have to log what you wanna do then? Force them to stay on? 😄

I mean in any way you wouldn't get anything from it. 

When they stay on the server, follow them.

When they don't and they needed to log... then you wanna force them to stay on just to follow them? Why? 😉

There could be numerous IC reasons, such as following them to their friends etc 

22 minutes ago, LumenRP said:

There could be numerous IC reasons, such as following them to their friends etc 

Well when the rule is in place... you can still follow them when they don't log out?

When they do want to log out.. even without the rule, nothing will be happening either since they wanna log? 😄

+1 to this suggestion. As a victim, you may be on your way back to camp (per say) and want to log out there, on your way some douche-bag tries to take you hostage, you talk your way out and off you go. You had a limit to how long you could RP tonight, but have to stay up another 30 minutes because someone forced you to RP... 

Posted (edited)

I hope that doesn't get ignored cause it is a huge majority who voted yes and it doesn't make any sense at all. 😉

Edited by Lyca

I agree. Seems like something that staff might like to sweep under the rug. But I wouldn't mind this rule being revisited. I think a lot of valid points have been made in this thread, and it would be a pity for them to be ignored. 

Posted (edited)

I don't really wanna see this getting ignored. 😕

Happened to me a few days ago. I had to go... got initiated on. Was free... got a second time initiated on 10 minutes after. And then hostage taker didn't see my request to log after the inicdent was over or ignored it. Couldn't log and do my IRL I had to do even though nobody had kos rights on me.

It's stupid. 

Edited by Lyca

13 minutes ago, Lyca said:

I don't really wanna see this getting ignored. 😕

Happened to me a few days ago. I had to go... got initiated on. Was free... got a second time initiated on 10 minutes after. And then hostage taker didn't see my request to log after the inicdent was over or ignored it. Couldn't log and do my IRL I had to do even though nobody had kos rights on me.

It's stupid. 

Real. Under no circumstances should the hostage be required to wait out a timer. They're the victim, they hold no levity in the circumstance. If they want to leave or need to leave the situation, they should be allowed.

Posted (edited)

Since we are at rule changes again. 

Please do not forget about that. 

@Roland

Edited by Lyca

Bit of Devil's Advocate here... I am often playing with limited time and being locked into a commitment for 30 minutes during which I could encounter another situation that takes an hour to resolve and has another 30-minute requirement in place... it can get out of hand and I could see myself having to just OOC inform someone that I simply can't stay on any longer and risk the report so that I can show up to work in the morning in a state where I wouldn't get fired.  THAT SAID... I feel like the criteria for a safe logout should be beyond clear.  Break line of sight is a vague term since standing behind a thick tree fulfills this requirement. 

Maybe not 30 minutes, but 5 minutes is a lot more manageable.  Out of LoS should be concisely clarified. Distance traveled from the place of the incident is another possible consideration.  From experience, the aggressive party will sometimes leave a hostage with instructions like "don't move from here for 1 minute" etc.; such a statement or a more specific variation thereof could be treated as the aggressors giving permission for an early logoff.  

Completely removing the time limit and having a flimsy rule requiring simply breaking LoS could be abused to a degree similar to combat logging if the captive has reinforcements inbound and they were to log off before the they arrived and attacked the original aggressors.  This is essentially removing the captive from any chance of harm or recapture in the ensuing battle and could be abused as a type of baiting.  It should be easy to log off, but it shouldn't be free IMO.

I completely agree. I would not expect a hostage to wait around for 30 minutes. This is not something I would deem report worthy.