Server time (UTC): 2019-08-20, 21:28
Sign in to follow this  
APositiveElmo

Combat Logging

CL Rule Amendment Poll  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I feel like the very act of the hostage takers letting the hostages go ends the RP on their end.  Basically if you let your hostage go, you should have zero reason to track them and capture them again.

It should be up to the Hostages then if they intend to try anything or want to flee and potentially log out.

The last time one of these threads popped up the worry was that it would "complicate the rules" which I think is far fetched as it would literally be one line of text to be added to the combat log section.

+1

5 minutes ago, Bot Elmo said:

The premise is simple, a change to the current combat logging rule. As it stands, both hostages and hostage takers must wait 30 minutes after a hostage situation has ended in order to log out. This makes sense for hostage takers as it gives hostages a window of time to exercise their defender rights after a situation has concluded itself. However, I see no reason for hostages, who are the ones that the combat logging rule is meant to protect, should be punished for logging out if they have been totally compliant and have no rights on them. 

I will now link a couple of reports to demonstrate that this is a current practice:

Hide contents

My suggestion is simple: we go back to the way things used to be done, the method that I believe most members of the community are familiar with currently and the most logical approach in my opinion; allow hostages to log out once they have broken line of sight with their captors, as long as they have not committed any actions that grant their captors kill rights on them.

Discuss.

^ This. Not sure why it was ever even changed.

I know Rollando mentioned "to keep everything easy to remember for everyone, it's just all across the board" but I mean... How hard is it to remember that if you haven't done anything to give them KOS rights... Then you can log out? It's kind of a simple premise. 

Yes, it is simply stupid to have hostages have a combatlog-timer, when nobody has KOS-rights on them. It was never a problem before and we had it for years. 

There was never confusion about it and everyone was fine with it and it made so much more sense, to not have a timer as a hostage. There is no way of abusing it. 

People being hit for combat log even though, there were not responsible for the hostile action and complied, so nobody has KOS-rights on them is very confusing for me. Why would they have a timer? 

What is when the hostage taker take me for 50 minutes and ignore my request to log out afterwards and I have to go? How is that my fault when someone initiates on me. Doesn't make any sense to me.

The complication of the rules is a non-argument, as my suggestion was the accepted and uncontested practice for a long time. We were fine then, we would be fine if we switched back.

I agree. I must emphasize on the break line of sight part, though. The reason the timer is instated for hostages is in case the hostage-takers forget something they wanted to ask and need them back to continue the interrogation. Breaking line of sight means the hostage takers have now lost their ability to do that and have to reinitiate. 

Honestly unless the hostage wants to exact revenge there's no reason to have to wait a timer out to log. It's just a needless rule 😥 +1 to going back

+1
Makes no sense to force the hostage to deal with added shit if they don't want to. As long as they follow the rules logging out, line of sight, etc, there's no problem in my eyes.

the hostage takers are the ones being hostile, not the hostages. They should be able to log whenever they want as they didnt choose to get into the situation in the first place. 
Theres really no reason for them to have to say around for 30mins.

+1 Absolutely, no one has kill rights on a complying hostage whose been let go.

Has this always been a rule? 

as long as the hostage breaks line of site i have no issues with throwing away that rule. there's no reason for them to have to stay logged in since they're not the hostile ones. having to wait for perms is annoying as sometimes you're waiting longer than the 30 min timer anyway. even if we change it as a trial and if somehow things go wrong just revert back but i don't see how this wouldn't be beneficial and how something could even go wrong.

massive +1 from me

+1 to allowing hostages to log out once they've been released as long as they break line of sight with their aggressors. 
I get that the aggressors might've forgotten to ask the hostage something or make a point of some sort, but they can always just find the hostage at a later time.

Posted (edited)

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot...I even aimed at my foot 😂

I knew the rule but I still posted it anyway because what I thought I did was right. From now on in the future I will only ever make a report with a video...and il just go and hid in a bush for 30mins 

+1

* Kevin waves from his cell * 

Edited by Imation11

+1 In previous threads it was mentioned that the hostage can simply ask the hostage takers when they are about to leave "//Permission to log" but lets be real here, folks. Most hostage takers once they are done freaking Usain Bolt the hell out of the situation before one can even finish any text message. So please delete combat log timer for hostages.

13 minutes ago, Diamond said:

Has this always been a rule? 

To which practice are you referring?

I don't know how it is in most cases, but I know when I am being taken hostage my thoughts aren't on "oh will I have to log when this is over." I am usually thinking about how I am going to get through it alive. In my case, I was faced with people who had some bad RP. So, I was upset by the situation of that and on top of thinking that there was no kill rights, I was fine to log. I wanted to make the report on top of it already being 1:30 in the morning. Plus, I wasn't being salty about the robbery, just the fact there was really bad RP involved in it. Regardless, to force people who may be upset (because all of their stuff was taken) to stay on when no one has kills rights against them is just ridiculous. Why would robbers want to come back after that letting someone go or them leaving? It just seems like a form of grieving at that point. The victim isn't going to want to see them again and I am sure the robbers want to get away so they aren't killed by someone who has kill rights against them. 

Unless the hostage has done something that grants KoS against them in the situation or any past situation then yes they should be allowed to log. Not fair to make someone wait a timer when no one is after them and they do not wish to use the KoS rights they have received on the hostage takers.

I agree with this,

I think that people who are dragged into a hostage scenario should be able to log off whenever like it was back before this rule change. At the end of the day it is not in the (future) hostages plans to be captured and may disrupt what they need to do IRL such as go to bed. Whilst I do agree people should ask to log off i.e the hostage taker I do not think it's fair on the hostage as within those 30 minutes they could be taken captive again.

If nobody has KoS rights on you, there's no need to force you to stay in the server. 

Like I wouldn't wanna be about to go to bed, somebody holds me up, I have to do all of the roleplay with them and THEN wait an extra 30 mins otherwise I take a ban.

It was an exception to a rule that existed for a long time and everybody understood, nobody had an issue with this in the 4 or so years I've been in DayZRP. 

55 minutes ago, Bot Elmo said:

To which practice are you referring?

Hostage logging after being robbed

Just now, Diamond said:

Hostage logging after being robbed

The previous policy was taking punitive action against those with valid kill rights against them, should they log out prior to their 30 minute timer elapsing. I would like to return to that policy. As it stands, a hostage who has no rights on them whatsoever must wait 30 minutes before logging out.

Theres really no need to force people to wait 30 min if you were the hostage (if you dont have active kill rights on you)

Even doe you should not play dayzRP when you gotta go in 30 min either way if you were the hostage and no one have rights on you, you should be able to log 

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with this.

I didn't like it before I became staff, and I still don't like it now. Hostages should be allowed to log off after the situation expires, as long as they have no active kill rights against them. I would hate to get taken hostage when I am going to log off soon, finish the RP, and then have to wait an additional 30 minutes just for being taken hostage.

Me click wrong option 

me sorry 

yes the hostage should not be forced to wait arbitrarily long times for literally no reason