Server time (UTC): 2019-08-19, 04:44
Sign in to follow this  
Jackfish

Community opinion

Posted (edited)

Dear members of the DayZRP community,

So I just got hit with a 7 day ban because I provided "BadRP" and I posted a "false report".

Now I am very, but very dissapointed in this outcome. This thread is not to throw people under the bus or to send hate to people and I want to ask everyone to keep it civil (if this doesn't get closed stright away because people disagree or dont want to see the community's opinion). 

I just want to know everyone's opinion on this outcome. And I dont mean who should or shouldn't of got banned but more something like:

"what would you do in a situation like this?"

Please, give me your opinions.

- Jack

Edited by Jackfish

My personal opinion is that the outcome of the report is good.

I personally dislike masses of reports being thrown up willy nilly for any reason, and some of the recent reports could easily be talked out as civil community members.

Maybe chill out more on the reports man, try talk reports out with people before throwing them up. Obviously you don't have to follow that advice though.

See you in a week i guess? Look forward to the RP then mate

Posted (edited)

Not going to comment on the 'bad RP' because I've seen that applied in the weirdest of ways, and not in the right ways.

As for false report, I don't think you should have gotten hit with a false report. It seemed like you in good faith thought there was a rulebreak. It might have been salty good faith, but you thought there was a rule break.

Being shot in the face because someone told you to stop talking back is something I probably would have reported to if it was the first time I'd talked back. The rule cited in your ban expressly says repeatedly talking back, not just once. Jumping on the murder train because someone gives you lip one time is to me an abuse of ruleplay. Earning rights just to use them. Beat the guy up, rough the guy up, etc. Just shooting because you hit the checkmark of being allowed to murder has always left a bad taste in my mouth.

Edit: Whether you were found guilty or not is obviously staff discretion, but to me getting hit with false report should only be for blatant cases, and since I felt your particular accusation had weight (Even if it was light, and obviously since staff said they were not guilty, it was wrong), you at least had weight behind the accusation given how the rule is written.

Edited by Rover

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, JackZRP said:

I dislike throwing alot of reports up too, and you can see that I normally dont. 

I talk with most people about some reports but sometimes I dont feel like talking to some people. And if you ask me why:

Knipsel.png.3d60cfd939ebbd76fc8d649aed20c2b9.png

While I was talking to another community member in the DayZRP discord all of the friends / accused of the report jumped in and started questioning me about the report in a aggresive manner. I decided to leave after getting accused and spoken down to. 

Last time I tried to speak with some of the accused / friends of the recent report (back in District) they were whistling at my friends like they were dogs. From that moment on I decided not to talk with certain people because I am afraid that will happen again.

I do want to thank you for your reply @JackZRP. I do appreciate it.

Edited by Jackfish

Its clear to myself that there are persuadable members of the staff team that follow suit based on one opinion. Like the media today, its those who don't have an opinion of their own following suit behind those that do.

Posted (edited)

Yea, apparently we need to quiver in the corner while they run circles around us and repeat the same thing over and over.

Edited by Zipcouda

This thread is tactically unwise, Jack. Create an appeal and start a discussion when that one is solved.  

39 minutes ago, Jackfish said:

what would you do in a situation like this?"

Not trash talk people who have a gun to my head. 

2 minutes ago, Grimnir said:

Not trash talk people who have a gun to my head. 

Thanks for your reply,

I am very curious what you think trashtalking is. If I would of kept insulting the hostage takers I would of understood your statement. But I said fuck you once. Is that trashtalking in your book too? 

2 minutes ago, Jackfish said:

Is that trashtalking in your book too

Yes if I tell a stranger I am on bad terms with to fuck himself I am trash talking them, hence the reason we'd receive points if we oocly told someone "fuck you" on the forums. That is at least my understanding. 

Just now, Grimnir said:

-snip-

Thing is though, I dont think I rped with them before this encounter. If it would be my long term enemy, sure but this? Nah.

But thank you @Grimnir I understand your opinion. 

I just think this thread is a bad idea

Posted (edited)

Like Ron said make an appeal then this should be discussed further depending on that outcome.

Edited by Eagle

9 minutes ago, Diamond said:

I just think this thread is a bad idea

I'm going to go ahead and agree with Mr. Drip here.

Just going to create a shitstorm and more community outrage.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, NishiUrban said:

Good luck on the appeal jack, I've heard good things about you.

Thanks man, will need the luck 😛 

I need to choose my words carefully because @Zipcouda got banned for having an opinion. This is getting out of hand. 

Edited by Jackfish

I don't think you provided BadRP, nor was it a false report. Thats my opinion.

14 minutes ago, Jackfish said:

Thanks man, will need the luck 😛 

I need to choose my words carefully because @Zipcouda got banned for having an opinion. This is getting out of hand. 

No he didn't. He got banned for flaming several members of staff in PMs. 

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Zanaan said:

No he didn't. He got banned for flaming several members of staff in PMs. 

Ive seen the screenshots. He had his opinion because clearly things arent going how they were going / how they are suppose to go. He maybe said it in a stupid way and that is what got him banned but still 😞

This screenshot is the reason he got banned. He gave his opinion and it was an opinion the staff team did not like. I need to agree that it is borderline flame but it shouldn't be a reason to ban a person who has been in this community since 2012 and provided lots of good RP. I dont say I agree with him but I think people deserve to know why he got banned.

unknown.png.56819c5fa6c0af59201ac1a4746ee551.png

The reason why he probably was a bit upset was because he got points for a rulebreak but @General Rickets did the same thing but he did not get any points. In fact, it was not even mentioned. 

Edited by Jackfish

I will give my general opinion not relating in particular to the report in question.

The reporting process is a necessity in this community to define acceptable standards of role play and challenge those who go beyond what is permitted in the rules.

If a person genuinely believes that there was a potential rule break, whether they are right or wrong, they should be able to report without fear of being banned themselves.

I believe that in order to be punished for a false report, the intent must be proved to be malicious and the grounds for the report clearly unfounded.

In my opinion, the implementing of a false report verdict should be exercised with extreme caution and only in exceptional circumstances because of the potential to create animosity in the community and a reluctance to report in future.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, ScarletRose said:

I will give my general opinion not relating in particular to the report in question.

The reporting process is a necessity in this community to define acceptable standards of role play and challenge those who go beyond what is permitted in the rules.

If a person genuinely believes that there was a potential rule break, whether they are right or wrong, they should be able to report without fear of being banned themselves.

I believe that in order to be punished for a false report, the intent must be proved to be malicious and the grounds for the report clearly unfounded.

In my opinion, the implementing of a false report verdict should be exercised with extreme caution and only in exceptional circumstances because of the potential to create animosity in the community and a reluctance to report in future.

It does work both ways though, people will be reluctant to role play with people who report 24/7 just in case they slip up.

A false report means that it's malicious in the sense that they are attempting to get innocent people banned.

Edited by JackZRP

4 minutes ago, ScarletRose said:

The false reports verdicts being thrown around without proof of malicious intent are just undermining its meaning. This will eventually lead to members not wanting to report rule breaks for fear of being punished themselves. Then you get a community where rule breaks become more and more common and shitty RP is accepted or just flat out brushed off because our standards are dropping due to fearmongering. Nothing good will come of this.

I disagree with the verdict personally. False reports should be a punishment used when someone is knowningly making a report they know holds zero validity, and that’s not the case here in my eyes at all. It used to be a quite rare circumstance for someone to get hit with that but now it seems all too common. I also don’t quite get the badRP verdict. If he continued to do so then sure, but he literally said one thing. 

Though other severe punishments use to be more rare too, so oh well. 

Id say just take the advice I gave to you on discord. Also this thread may not be the greatest idea. 

Posted (edited)

I see multiple issues from both parties in all honesty:

1 - Neither of the two being initiated on showed that they were in any threat, sure, this can be justified by knowing a group has there backs, or previous interactions how they went etc etc, but in the end, you have a gun to your head. Some emotion is needed, unless everyone plays the same kind of character who has none. The "fuck you" was well funny, just maybe not the best reaction in that scenario.

2 - Both parties were clearly waiting for backup. Hence the chase, trying to meetup somewhere. On an OOC level, everyone knew it would turn into a firefight, that generally imo has a negative effect on the RP.

3 - Having one person running around in circles isn't realistic at all. It almost feels like your trying to communicate with a randomer on a pub server. The same goes for running around in circles right before initiating. That's pretty low, and I would consider that bad RP.

4 - The executions were a bit hasty in my opinion. It's quick and easy to say things like: "If we start taking shots, you are dead tell that to your guys" (paraphrasing obviously). It's a nice card to play, but maybe after some actual RP. Letting tensions build in these kind of scenarios can move the RP forward. Instead of killing one of you for speaking, a quick beating with a gun to the others head could have been more interesting, putting the both of you on your knees in front of the others in the bushes to see, trying to communicate over radio, etc etc. The kills just seemed to be the easiest path, once again, because everyone knew a firefight would break out.

5 - False report is a bit much here. In a case where there are clearly no rule-breaks sure, however the RP received (and given) is questionable, and needs to be taken into consideration. I fully understand why this behaviour was reported.

6 - Having a friend of the accused handling the report doesn't help. It would have been nice to see a non-biased staff member (if possible) do that report instead.

Edited by uSxRB