Server time (UTC): 2019-08-19, 04:42
Sign in to follow this  
JobScholten

Radio station on 102.5

Posted (edited)

In this thread I just want to make you aware of a new radio station in Chernarus.
We will play live music (played by @baskorthuis) and just radio tunes.

In a previous thread we discussed what kind of transmission we should choose and we chose for a radio transmission. This way people can just tune in and listen and if they don't like the music they can just turn off their radio's.
We had some tryouts and got a positive reaction, so we will try to keep our trend going.

As it looks now we will try to stream everyday around 9pm GMT+1 till 9:30pm GMT+1 on frequency 102.5 (These times might change)

Hope you tune in next time!

- Alex & Depressed Cowboy

Edited by JobScholten

Nice!  My only advice would be to make sure the songs are lore appropriate.  Ex. you likely can't play anything brand new (within twoish years) because it wouldn't exist. 

Good luck!

Quite excited to see how this goes just don't get playing anything that has came out in the last 2 or so years 😛

1 minute ago, MR Pussywhipped said:

Nice!  My only advice would be to make sure the songs are lore appropriate.  Ex. you likely can't play anything brand new (within twoish years) because it wouldn't exist. 

Good luck!

I think our selection of the beatles, simon and garfunkel and more like those will do 😊

5 minutes ago, JobScholten said:

I think our selection of the beatles, simon and garfunkel and more like those will do 😊

hell yeah yes GIF

Awesome, if you need any help, advice, etc.  Lemme know.  Got a bit of experience in the area 

I tuned in for a while tonight, it was a perfect little moment. Especially since I haven't met anyone for the last two days, it made the world feel alive again. Keep it up, I'll be tuning in again.

"The radio reminds me of my home far away"

I thought you needed to be close the source to get actual decent sound out of the Radio? 

Like so if you have a legit radio in hand and you place ig on 102.5, it should work? Won't people scream through it? 

This is a really good idea! 

1 hour ago, Bobandy said:

I tuned in for a while tonight, it was a perfect little moment. Especially since I haven't met anyone for the last two days, it made the world feel alive again. Keep it up, I'll be tuning in again.

I'm out of beanz today, but here you have a imaginary beanz from me. 

*gibs beanz*

Also I wish I could stream my pc, but I still have no clue how to do that and my steam is bugged so I cannot make screenshots either. Im so jelly (I'm terrible with technology) 

10 hours ago, Bobandy said:

Great video! This is a perfect example of what we want to achieve with the show.

10 hours ago, MR Pussywhipped said:

Good luck!

We are aware of this. At the moment we are using a direct signal from a record player to a studio mixer to a audio interface. We have a big old record collection waiting to be played. Almost all of our records are from before the outbreak. We'll make sure to not play the new ones.

8 hours ago, Horse said:

I thought you needed to be close the source to get actual decent sound out of the Radio? 

Like so if you have a legit radio in hand and you place ig on 102.5, it should work? Won't people scream through it? 

This is a really good idea! 

I'm out of beanz today, but here you have a imaginary beanz from me. 

*gibs beanz*

Also I wish I could stream my pc, but I still have no clue how to do that and my steam is bugged so I cannot make screenshots either. Im so jelly (I'm terrible with technology) 

The broadcast quallity will be the same across whole South-Zagoria. At the moment we use a field transmitter which should be the best sending device out there. You should be able to hear it with your personal longwave radio. To assure best sound quallity, you could turn off (or lower) the effect volume.

We do have the problem of people screaming through the frequency. This is something we expected to happen, but we don't really have any solution to it other then ignoring it. At the moment we keep the broadcast relatively short. This means that most troublemakers will join in on the end of the show. Do you guys maybe know a solution to this?

Posted (edited)
What I heard through the radio, before it turned annoying, as it was breaking up quite a bit.
Edited by Isaiah Cortez

Would not be surprised if you get a lot of requests for shitty mumble rap.. But yeah keeping it to lore would be awesome.

2 minutes ago, Ansolari said:

Would not be surprised if you get a lot of requests for shitty mumble rap.. But yeah keeping it to lore would be awesome.

We mostly play songs that can be played on guitar (or on a record player) this does not include rap. And we don't really have a way to request songs at all yet. That is maybe something for in the future.

I imagine any record collection would be limited in the apocalypse. There's no need to take requests, unless someone requests something from an album you've played previously.

4 hours ago, baskorthuis said:

We do have the problem of people screaming through the frequency. This is something we expected to happen, but we don't really have any solution to it other then ignoring it. At the moment we keep the broadcast relatively short. This means that most troublemakers will join in on the end of the show. Do you guys maybe know a solution to this?

If they are trolling for the sake of trolling over your broadcast, that sucks.  AND MAYBE should be reported.

Realistically (I think) with you guys occupying that frequency, no one should be able to talk on it, the signal should be busy. (Could be wrong about that). Depending on the severity of the yelling you could consider it bad RP.

Heard you guys IG for a bit a couple of days ago. It was really fun 🙂

The one thing I did notice though was the emotes come through over the frequency. Which... Kinda sucks. But something to keep in mind. 

19 minutes ago, MR Pussywhipped said:

If they are trolling for the sake of trolling over your broadcast, that sucks.  AND MAYBE should be reported.

Realistically (I think) with you guys occupying that frequency, no one should be able to talk on it, the signal should be busy. (Could be wrong about that). Depending on the severity of the yelling you could consider it bad RP.

The radios IG are probably full-duplex radios, which means they support receiving and transmitting at the same time. Half-duplex radios are like walmart walkietalkies, any quality radio (Which these would be, to have the range they have) are going to allow dual transmitting/receiving.

200.gif

You should make a group out of this honestly. I would love more DJs throughout Chernarus so music is playing 24/7. Obviously that's a tall order, but this has just been so enjoyable!

A man can hope!

Just keep on keeping on though. I love seeing radio DJs/hosts.

Get me some fuckin Russian rock on there and I'm in. It'd be so good for Camp Eden

22 minutes ago, MR Pussywhipped said:

I think most people are not even aware of the fact that they are interrupting the broadcast. They are used to be able to respond on normal radio frequencies, so they forget about the fact that this is a one way broadcast. Trolling on the other hand would be constant interrupting. At that point I think you could consider it BadRP.

3 minutes ago, Rover said:

The radios IG are probably full-duplex radios, which means they support receiving and transmitting at the same time. Half-duplex radios are like walmart walkietalkies, any quality radio (Which these would be, to have the range they have) are going to allow dual transmitting/receiving.

200.gif

This is kind of true. The radios IG are able to both transmit and receive. But can they intervene a radiobroadcast?

I don't think so. The power of the transmission would be too weak to be even noticeable on the same frequency as a radio broadcast, since the signal of the broadcast would be way stronger. 

It's a difficult subject. I see only two solutions to people interrupting the broadcast with handheld radio's:

1. Ask them OOC'ly (in radio text channel) to stop talking over the voice channel since it is a one way broadcast.

2. Ask them OOC'ly (in radio text channel) to only respond in the text channel of the radio channel.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, baskorthuis said:

I think most people are not even aware of the fact that they are interrupting the broadcast. They are used to be able to respond on normal radio frequencies, so they forget about the fact that this is a one way broadcast. Trolling on the other hand would be constant interrupting. At that point I think you could consider it BadRP.

This is kind of true. The radios IG are able to both transmit and receive. But can they intervene a radiobroadcast?

I don't think so. The power of the transmission would be too weak to be even noticeable on the same frequency as a radio broadcast, since the signal of the broadcast would be way stronger. 

It's a difficult subject. I see only two solutions to people interrupting the broadcast with handheld radio's:

1. Ask them OOC'ly (in radio text channel) to stop talking over the voice channel since it is a one way broadcast.

2. Ask them OOC'ly (in radio text channel) to only respond in the text channel of the radio channel.

This was already determined and discussed in the past with Green Mountain Radio. See here

The full size large radio towers you see can't communicate to the hand-held radios everyone is carrying. Ignoring the game completely, and just speaking in RL terms.

The only way to listen in to a full size broadcast tower is through radios like car radios and such. Why? Because the handheld radios we are all carrying around don't listen in to those frequencies... For the simple reason it costs more money to design them to do so, and who would buy a handheld radio to listen to a broadcast station when you can get a simple FM radio for 20$ that does the same thing?

IF for some reason one of these little handhelds was trying to intervene in a radio broadcast from a tower, it would just get drowned out though, 100%. But bear in mind that for all intents and purposes, the handheld radios in game are not interchangeable or the same as the massive broadcast towers that are used for normal radio stations.

Edited by Rover
adding a link

9 minutes ago, Rover said:

This was already determined and discussed in the past with Green Mountain Radio. See here

The full size large radio towers you see can't communicate to the hand-held radios everyone is carrying. Ignoring the game completely, and just speaking in RL terms.

The only way to listen in to a full size broadcast tower is through radios like car radios and such. Why? Because the handheld radios we are all carrying around don't listen in to those frequencies... For the simple reason it costs more money to design them to do so, and who would buy a handheld radio to listen to a broadcast station when you can get a simple FM radio for 20$ that does the same thing?

IF for some reason one of these little handhelds was trying to intervene in a radio broadcast from a tower, it would just get drowned out though, 100%. But bear in mind that for all intents and purposes, the handheld radios in game are not interchangeable or the same as the massive broadcast towers that are used for normal radio stations.

Totally true. Thanks for bringing up the Green Mountain Radio!

It would indeed be impossible to receive normal AM and FM frequencies on a handheld (IG) radio, but it would be possible to tune the broadcast source in on a frequency that these handheld radios can receive. This wavelength is way less efficient and would be limited to a smaller broadcast range. This last point being the reason it doens't normally happen IRL. Technically it would be possible to pull off. This way would also keep it a one way broadcast since our radiostation would only be a source and not a receiver. By using the right equipement, the signal strenght would still be too powerfull to intervene by the handheld radio. Only people standing closer to the other source (handheld radio) would be able to notice the intervenience of the original broadcast signal.

Since we don't have any working car radio's or other equipment IG, that could receive AM or FM frequencies, I think it would be best to hold on to this theory. IG we should ignore the people talking, since RP wise we couldn't hear them right? Maintaining the two solutions from my previous post.

Had a lot of fun listening to you broadcast today. Hope I can catch another one soon.

Alright, we have been doing the radiobroadcast for over a week now and got very positive responses. Thank you all for tuning in!

We also got a request to make a forum thread, where we announce when we go live. People could follow the thread to get notified.

But which forum section do you think is most appropriate for this?

1 hour ago, baskorthuis said:

But which forum section do you think is most appropriate for this?

Maybe make a thread on DayZ Radio. Seems appropriate to me as long as you keep in-character.