Server time (UTC): 2019-08-24, 17:25
Sign in to follow this  
baskorthuis

Music on a radio frequency

In this thread I would like to bring up the idea of broadcasting (live) music on one of the ingame radio frequencies. 

There are many different ways one can present music ingame. You could use the speaker systems that are located around different towns. This method ensures that all people in the town will hear it. This can be both a concern and a benefit. On one side, a lot of people will hear it. On the other hand you will get into trouble because some people don't want to hear it. The second way is to play music local. On a square or busy road. This option has a lot of downsides. First off you will not encounter alot of people and most people will just walk on after listening for a couple of seconds. Lastley there is radio broadcasting. This method has almost everything one could want. Everyone is free to turn it on or off. Also alot of people can be reached since everyone spawns with a personal longrange radio. 

The idea of starting an ingame radiostation is something that I've been working on for a while now. I know that there is an abandoned radiostation at Altar, but RP wise it would take alot of effort to get something like that running again. My idea is to set up a house in the wilderness that is able to broadcast. With placing a relay to a nearby radiotower to be able to get the broadcast to be heard in whole South Zagoria. RP wise it could be justified by placing a field transmitter on both the radiotower and the chimney of the house and use powergenerators and cable reels to get things working.

I would really like to know your thoughts on this subject. Also which frequency would be best to use? As I suppose that the default 87.8 MHZ frequency, should be kept for speaking only. I was thinking of using 102.5 MHZ, but I don't know if any groups use this channel at the moment.

hmm wouldn't mind this, not alot we can do to listen to some good old tunes apart from singing them ourselves!

I'm not opposed to this, though I could see it becoming a source of nearly untraceable annoyance.  If it's done correctly, I'd absolutely be okay with it.

44 minutes ago, Saunders said:

hmm wouldn't mind this, not alot we can do to listen to some good old tunes apart from singing them ourselves!

You say this, but it's only about 2 years into the outbreak and it's not like hard disc media is, or more importantly was, uncommon.  I wouldn't call it outside the realm of possibility to have old records, cassettes, or CDs laying around.

Id want it to be an optional radio freq cause often i have my own music playing and it pisses me off when someone starts blasting shit through their mic or whatever

As long as the quality is actually good, and not just someone holding their phone up to their microphone, then go for it.

There is a program on steam called soundpad that allows you to play audio files through your microphone at good quality. The program is $5, so keep that in mind. But it's better than holding your phone to your mic.

Posted (edited)

Wait @baskorthuis, were you the guitar today on 102.5? 😄

Edited by Malet

4 hours ago, Peril said:

I'm not opposed to this, though I could see it becoming a source of nearly untraceable annoyance.  If it's done correctly, I'd absolutely be okay with it.

You say this, but it's only about 2 years into the outbreak and it's not like hard disc media is, or more importantly was, uncommon.  I wouldn't call it outside the realm of possibility to have old records, cassettes, or CDs laying around.

yeah i'm just talking on the side of i'd like to hear some music. i put no thought into how/when/who this could come about. bit of a stupid thing for me to do. if it could somehow be done RP wise and make sense etc and be realistic then i'm all for it! if not then i'm most certainly against it. but it would be really god damn cool to have a radio station up and running! just imagine having chernarus news being told over the radio of all the happenings. would be some really great info that our characters could use! 😉 

10 hours ago, Peril said:

We indeed could also broadcast recorded music. RP wise it would be okay to play music from things like a recordplayer. I supose it wouldnt be too hard to find vinyl albums. My goal would be to broadcast mostly live music though, but the point is that with only 1 available musician ingame, that could become repetitive.

10 hours ago, YNW Dusty said:

As long as the quality is actually good, and not just someone holding their phone up to their microphone, then go for it.

There is a program on steam called soundpad that allows you to play audio files through your microphone at good quality. The program is $5, so keep that in mind. But it's better than holding your phone to your mic.

Don't worry about sound quallity! I'm planning on using decent microphones and mixing equipment. This steam application could be an option to get recorded music ingame. But the RP idea of playing vinyl records could also be taken one step further. I have a high quality recordplayer myself. I could hook it up to my mixing desk and get Dayz to recognize my audio interface so I could get a direct line in. The only problem I could see with this method is that the volume on the ingame radiofrequency would be a bit on the low side. But it would be a great option to get actual vinyl on the ingame radio.

10 hours ago, GenjiRP said:

Id want it to be an optional radio freq cause often i have my own music playing and it pisses me off when someone starts blasting shit through their mic or whatever

That's why I'm suggesting the 102.5MHZ, because I don't think anyone even uses that channel. 

9 hours ago, Malet said:

Wait @baskorthuis, were you the guitar today on 102.5? 😄

Yes that was me! We were testing how the quality of the broadcast would be with different microphones and settings on the mixingdesk. Good to hear that some people were already listening!

Dude, we were even dancing to it xD Sorry for interrupting the music. We werent aware that emotes get trransmitted by IG radios too 😄

@Malet, we noticed! It was actually quite funny too see the text responds. As long as it's not in the voice channel, it's not interrupting at all. Would actually be nice to see more of these text responses on the radio. That makes it more fun for us, because we know people are listening.