Server time (UTC): 2019-08-21, 18:58
Sign in to follow this  
sandbag

Looking for a doctor (Open freq)

A long moment passes as Rob looks into the contents of his pack, now stuffed to the seams. With a small defeated sigh, he closes his pack and shoulders it back up, reaching for his radio pouch. Against his best judgement, he keys in and pauses before speaking. He winces slightly but he's not in pain and his voice is even and measured as if he often talks on radios.

"Any station this net, this is... " A short pause as he shakes his head to himself, knowing former military callsigns would mean nothing to anyone. "... this is Robert... I am transmitting on open channels to anyone within range- break." The radio keys out for a short instant and keys back in. "I am looking for a doctor. I say again-" He repeats his message once and ends the transmission with "over." 

Rob shakes his head to himself again as he secures his radio. This is not how we do business. You know better than this. How is this going to get you home, you idiot?

The message repeated almost verbatim on the hour until 7 hours later when again Rob keyed in as he walked along a lonely dirt track road. He wasn't accented by American standards, at least to him, being from California, but to anyone else, there was no mistaking he was an American.

"Any station this net, my name is Robert Cameron. I'm in need of a doctor. If anyone is there, please, come in, over." 

It was a long shot to begin with. He didn't know why he was so hesitant to transmit over the open net. Because it's stupid. This is how you get yourself killed, trying to do the right thing out here. This won't help you get home.

A voice breaks through the wall of empty transmission, broken and quiet at first.  After a moment, the connection solidifies and a younger American boy can be heard over the airwaves.

"Hel- I read-..." bzzzzzt

"Hello? Robert, I read you.  Loud and clear.

I'm not exactly a doctor by trade or study, more so by trial by fire, but I know my way around a needle and a gunshot wound, the occasional broken bone."

bzzzt... static briefly crackles through again

"What's the injury?  I might be of service, depending on how severe it is and where you are.

I dunno if you want a teenager trained by Free Medics after the end of the world working on you, but if you do, I'm your guy."

The transmission remains open through a small pause in speech, the sound of wind and trees rustling give the indication of the broadcast originating in an area of decently dense foliage.

"Radio back when you can, I'l- listen...

"Nam-... eodore... by th-... ay."

The transmission is interrupted once again by static, this time fading out with a choppy conclusion.

Posted (edited)

The radio traffic suddenly coming through startled Rob a little as he hadn't particularly expected an answer at this point. The sender was distant and the signal was weak, but readable. Rob considered the words for a moment before keying in and responding. He was used to making out garbled transmissions. Military comms always sucked.

"Theodore, this this Robert. I copy you're willing to help. Break-" He keyed off for a short instant and keyed back in, considering for a moment his next words, careful not to give away any critical information that might put them at risk. "I'm in critical need of a doctor. Break-" Inwardly, there was turmoil for the briefest of time. Do it. She'd expect you to. It's the right thing. Integrity, Marine. "Request you send grid- errr.. location for RV errr… location for link-up. How do you copy? Over." He knew his transmission would be received equally as garbed if he was as far as his experience told him he was. The sender sounded young. But regardless whether or not he was actually a doctor, his instincts told him the kid was to be trusted and that perhaps, he could point him in the way of a real doctor. He held the radio in his hand now as he walked down the paved road, glancing left, right, over the shoulder every few paces as if born to it.

Edited by sandbag

The static fades away to Theodore's voice a second time, seemingly more stable this go around.

"Me again.  Theod-....  I'm posted up with a.. -roup of people in a place I'd rather not openly broadcast.

I'm sure you understand."

He pauses for a moment, thinking about his next words, his radio still transmitting.

"We'll be making our w-... ough... ovy Sobor... sometime tomorrow.

Try tuning into frequency fifty-two point zero, we'll try to... you... on the radio.

Should be more stab-..."

bzzzzzzt......

Rob nodded to himself and keyed in a little more confidently, or resolved at least. "Theodore, Rob. I copy location, break." Keys out, then in after a short pause. "Request you send time of radio check in, over." Rob had almost all the information he needed but unless he knew when to monitor the radio, it was unlikely they'd catch each other. Who knew how long his battery would last- he couldn't monitor the radio all day for that reason. Regardless, it was time to come out of the trees. It was clear to Rob now there was no going home without some risk.

Theodore's legs swung over the ledge of the wall as he laughed to himself, checking his wristwatch and contemplating a time.

"Time of radio check.. hmm.  Shit, man, that's a little formal for an apocalypse, but I'll say late afternoon?  Sixteen hundred hours?"

Theodore scratches his head and grimaces over the thought that time is lost to most people.

"Hell, you just radio me, someone is bound to hear it.  We'll figure it out and get you patched up.

Teddy out."

The faint tick-tock... tick-tock... of a wristwatch can be heard as static slowly floods back onto the airwaves.

There is a short shuffle over the radio before a soft feminine Chernarussian voice speaks over the radio.

"Ahoj, Robert was it hm? My name is Doctor Andela Jelinek, I am a licensed Cardiovascular Surgeon. Yet in my travels and in my studies I have learned many other things as well. Recently I have read up on how to treat eyes and well other things. There are not many doctors running around now, and I seem to be one of the few that are active enough to help out. Though, some might say I am not the most trustworthy as of late. When you need a doctor, and your choices are limited. I am sure you understand what I mean. I will keep an ear on this frequency, let me know what you need."

With that, she released the PTT on her radio and relaxes back against the wall waiting for the night to pass.

Rob frowned to himself at first and then a weird sensation came to him as a grin stretched over his features. Had it really been that long? He keyed in, shaking his head, this time in amusement over his own self. "Theodore, Rob. Roger- definitely a little formal. I copy 16:00. Talk to you then. Out." Rob glanced down at his watch. An old Casio G-Shock. Dead. As he walked he gazed down at it for a long while. He couldn't see it, but time was definitely ticking away. He turned off his radio and secured it in it's pouch, thoughts turning inwardly. To his wife. Thousands of miles away. Alone. I

'm coming, sweetheart. I just got to take care of this one thing.

(He just missed Jelinek's transmission)

Rob walked quietly, boots crunching softly on the pavement as he moved. There was plenty of illumination tonight between the moon, stars, and partially clouded sky and it wasn't too cold. As he walked, he suddenly ripped open his radio pouch and began to work the dials. He tried the same frequency as he had a few days before. His conscience wouldn't let him sit on this anymore.

"Any station this net, my name is Robert Cameron. I am looking for a medical doctor. Please, if anyone is in range, please come in, over." 

Finding a doctor in this wreck of a place was turning out to be about as difficult as he imagined it would be. The first with the kid, while being a promising linkup, turned out to be an impossibility after the old salvaged batteries in his the radio failed and being unable to locate suitable replacements in the time window. Rob was never able to make contact. Days before, he had been able to make direct chance contact with a group of heavily armed individuals as part of an apparent community- which appeared to be more of a militia.

He didn't stay long there but was able to talk to their nurse. Rob had been shocked to learn she was a woman of faith and further still after understanding her firm grasp on medicine and combat trauma. After some conversation- which became tense (for Rob, anyway) as the militia closed in around them in curiosity, Rob gave her some supplies she had been running low on, wished her luck, and quickly slipped away out of town at the first opportunity. 

It was time to push forward, though. She would want you to do this first.

*Andela hears the radio broadcast again, and sits up a little in the bed she was being lazy in. Her Chernarussian accent soft and crisp as she spoke once more.*

"You know I tried contacting you a few days ago before when you spoke with Teddy. Though it seems I might have just missed you. Might I recommend you keep this frequency on, just in case something similar happens. I am Doctor Andela, I think I might be able to offer my assistance. Though, I have some issues with trusting these open frequencies. You never know who is listening.

I require, if you need my help, that we meet in a undisclosed location for my safety."

*Andela stopped speaking and set her radio to the side awaiting an answer.*

Rob was more than slightly surprised when he immediately received traffic on the radio. Andela. He'd heard the name days before when he'd ran into some survivors on the road. After a short moment of consideration, he keyed in to respond.

"Andela, this is Rob, good copy on all, break-" He keyed in, nodding as rain began to pepper down around him as he trodded down a wood trail. "Tell me what I need to do, over." Rob keyed off and waited for a reply, glancing over his shoulder and shifting the weight of his heavy pack on his shoulders. 

Andela listens to the radio, as she shuffles through her bag for a moment. Thinking before she picks up the radio, and speaks into it once more.

"I am uncertain how you wish to do this, I can give you my private frequency and give it some time before we can discuss a meeting place. I also would like to know what you need a doctor for so I can be prepared for when I meet you. Just contact me on 84.6."

With that Andela drops her radio into her bag.

Posted (edited)

*Tyler comes onto the radio*

“this is private Anthony Vitale, if you need medical attention sir, please contact me back on this frequency. We have doctors that are very experienced and can fix your issues.”

*Tyler awaits a reply*

Edited by Diamond