Server time (UTC): 2019-08-19, 19:47
Sign in to follow this  
sandbag

Water inaccessible

Posted (edited)

I've been to several towns and villages with walled "settlements" in them. At least a few of them have completely blocked access to the water wells. I would think this would be fine from a roleplaying perspective being as certain factions can exercise control over certain areas etc. However I have an issue with this as I have yet to run across any "settlement" with anybody there to interact with so basically the water and other resources are just inaccessible with no real roleplay value. I understand these walls can be destroyed but again, from a roleplaying perspective why would I do that? 

I'm not sure how I feel about this dynamic right now- seems a bit unfair to have access to resources denied with no real reasonable ability to circumvent or interact. 

#thirstyboi

Edit: TLDR context since people don't want to read before replying

Potential Problem: The deliberate player sequestration of vital resources in towns and villages where players cannot access vital resources unless the players are "settlement" members/ owners happen to be present breaks community fair play rules and breaks RP (just because one can break in doesn't mean they should #roleplay). 

Proposed Solution: Enforce community rules. Make resources accessible if "settlement" members/owners (players) can not be present during a day for RP.

Edited by sandbag

Seen this a couple times. Not sure what the point is, unless there is an RP reason and someone to RP with as you mentioned. 

Worst case just break part of the wall to get in, not really a big deal

@SquilliumAs I said in the IP, I understand that breaking down the barriers is a possibility. I just feel that that kinda breaks roleplay since there's no reason to do so to someone's property. Even with a chaotic good character alignment like Rob Cameron's, it still makes little sense from an RP standpoint. How does he know there's water even in there, for instance?

Furthermore, completely closing off the resources sort of feels like a violation of community rule #2, under exploitation and abuse of game mechanics. Even unathletic people are perfectly capable of climbing a 7 foot wall or fence. I'd wager that the athletic abilities of most characters in the community are well beyond being simply capable. The inaccessibility is strictly due to the game's lack of a system to climb (or squeeze through obvious gaps in walls) at this time, which again I would point out the roleplay aspects as being unnecessary unless your character has reason to.

For many players, new or not, not having access to a water source (and other resources) can mean the difference between life and death for their character and thus potentially hours and hours of time lost. I want to reiterate that IF there were some roleplay value to the denials, I would be perfectly content. But there isn't. My character just left a town where easily 2/3 of it is walled off and completely inaccessible. Why is this ok if nobody is around to make the "settlement" interactive in some way? 

#MrGorbachevTearDownThisWall

You just need to prep for your travels I haven't had this issue because if I go on a long trip I carry my Water, for when that runs out I have cholerine pills to clean the water if I need to get from streams. I see no issue with them claiming wells, If I was to make a House or base My character would try to make sure I always have a safe place for water aka building around the well the make it safe.

4 minutes ago, S.Bradley said:

You just need to prep for your travels I haven't had this issue because if I go on a long trip I carry my Water, for when that runs out I have cholerine pills to clean the water if I need to get from streams. I see no issue with them claiming wells, If I was to make a House or base My character would try to make sure I always have a safe place for water aka building around the well the make it safe.

You're missing the point. 

The presented problem isn't about character preparation or non-preparation, it's about roleplay (or the breaking of) and potentially abuse of game mechanics.

Also, my character has plenty of water and water redundancy. That's not an issue. For me. 😉

#BearGrylls #BetterDrinkMyPiss

I believe it's not considered a breaking of Game Mechanics since you can break down the walls. Also not a Break of RP since there is no RP occurring, You're just thinking of one way to RP there is plenty of ways to RP this issue. The people who made the base have RPed that has their home and as I said they made their source of water safe. There is no break of RP here, When you said its because u cant slip through the gaps or climb it. That's not a breach of RP, its called Game limitation there are just some things u will not be able to do as this is a game.

I think that's a bit fallacious. There's clearly a break in RP especially since there's no RP going on. Characters are simply locked out of an area completely whereas they would very reasonably be able to get into. Games do have limitations- I'm very aware this is a game, @S.Bradley… but the limitations are not being imposed by the game but rather by players you mention. Furthermore the ability to break down walls does not mean one should for precisely the reason you mention- 

The people who made the base have RPed that has their home

So why would my character break into what is clearly supposed to be a secured area occupied by people. The thing is, I have yet to encounter such an area that wasn't completely vacant of human players. There's no RP. The areas are just plain inaccessible. That's the issue. 

If you think its built just for the lolz then tell staff, But just because it's built around a water source and you do not see anyone doesn't mean they do not own that area just means they are out of their home/Offline. The rules say it can be built as long as there is a way in AKA a gate or such ( sorta like how Prison island is ).  Your locked out of an area because someone is living there. If u see a gap then its a gap, Not much u can do there when building It could be made so they can see around the area while inside. Now if they are using a tent to block u out then yes that is breach of Game mechanics.

@S.Bradley That's a stretch at best, in my opinion. I think if anything your statements only underline my points. I think we can agree to disagree here.

Sometimes people won't be online the same time as you. Perhaps these settlements are austrailian, USA timezones. As much as it sucks, there is nothing you can really do but find a pond and have some antibiotics with you. I have yet to run into this problem at all, since I've not had this issue what-so-ever.

1 minute ago, Mademoiselle said:

Sometimes people won't be online the same time as you. Perhaps these settlements are austrailian, USA timezones. As much as it sucks, there is nothing you can really do but find a pond and have some antibiotics with you. I have yet to run into this problem at all, since I've not had this issue what-so-ever.

Again, I see this as emphasis to my above points. 

Just now, sandbag said:

Again, I see this as emphasis to my above points. 

Well I'm not sure what kind of response you would want?

Those are the only options people can give you. Different timezones, if people are online it's perhaps to charge you, you have an IC reason to break down a wall to get a water source, drink from a pond.

There is no other real way to answer this thread unless I am severely missing something. 

Yeah, it seems highly unfair but this problem seems like a rarity like I said before. Perhaps you're searching where camps are that are difficult to be found. But I in my many of hours, have come across this issue nil times.

You're worrying too much about a small issue.

If you break down a wall or two to get to a pump in a town because nobody is online at that area, I would imagine you wouldn't be hit with any rulebreaks because water is a necessity to live &  it made IC sense for you to break in to the walls. However, Staff has a tendency to be inconsistent so I'd probably record it to show you were dying/nearly dying of thirst.\

In the current state of the world, and Chernarus, it makes complete sense for water pumps to be walled off. Someone laid claim to it, so if you disagree, tear it down.

Chernarus is a big place so it's not shocking that not everyone has ran into this. But I'm not exactly in remote areas- these are towns and villages I have encountered this. I'm deliberately leaving out the names of the towns (3 so far with water inaccessible), like the one where 2/3 is completely sealed off, until it can be established whether or not this is ok. If you think it's important, then I can PM. 

As for the timezone thing, I mean, yeah- I get it. DayZ is popular all around the world. But if one group simply isn't on for the majority of a day and access to a certain town is completely impossible (especially from an RP perspective) unless they are present, then how is it ok to seal the town off? How is that fair play? How is that not exploiting the game?

If they aren't there then there is no roleplay and it's just sealed off to everyone else short of the happenstance of being present at the same time somebody is there (whether they are just "out" or offline). Even during European peak hours, there's been nobody at any "settlement" I've encountered thus far. Just big unoccupied fortresses. 

I mean if it's "highly unfiar," -a statement to which which I agree- then why isn't this being held to standard?

2 minutes ago, Ke Ke said:

You're worrying too much about a small issue.

If you break down a wall or two to get to a pump in a town because nobody is online at that area, I would imagine you wouldn't be hit with any rulebreaks because water is a necessity to live &  it made IC sense for you to break in to the walls. However, Staff has a tendency to be inconsistent so I'd probably record it to show you were dying/nearly dying of thirst.\

In the current state of the world, and Chernarus, it makes complete sense for water pumps to be walled off. Someone laid claim to it, so if you disagree, tear it down.

Not the point.

Then in once sentence, what exactly is your point? I don't understand what you're trying to achieve with this thread.

I agree that if someone purposefully walled just the water pump, that's a shitty thing to do. If a part of a town, that includes the pump, is walled off, then it probably is used for RP.

Also, why are people being overly defensive in this thread lol

@Ke Ke I'll reiterate since you probably wont be the last to not read the thread (tldr)

Potential Problem: The deliberate player sequestration of vital resources in towns and villages where players cannot access vital resources unless the players are "settlement" members/ owners happen to be present breaks community fair play rules and breaks RP (just because one can break in doesn't mean they should #roleplay). 

Proposed Solution: Enforce community rules. Make resources accessible if "settlement" members/owners (players) can not be present during a day for RP.

@Simatho Disturbing status-quo, I suppose. Just trying to point out an issue. 😉 

29 minutes ago, sandbag said:

If you're wanting to see this as a community rule in the future - it is best to make a poll for people to vote on and give their opinion on why it is yes or no from their side. That would make this thread a bit more reasonable for everyone to understand or be on the same level as you or argue against you. 🙂 

@Mademoiselle Sounds good to me 🙂 As soon as we can establish whether or not this is indeed breaking the community rules, maybe I can do that. Somebody needs to make the decision, though. Won't propose a change if according to the community leadership nothing's wrong and all is well.

Does thirst deplete slow only for me? I drink every time i find a well and i haven't moved off of maximum thirst since last week. I don't see the problem with walling in resources cause it's not a problem at all. There are wells pretty much everywhere unless you are at the edges of the map and since you don't spawn there anyway it's on you cause you didn't pack water in your backpack.

4 minutes ago, NozzyRP said:

Does thirst deplete slow only for me? I drink every time i find a well and i haven't moved off of maximum thirst since last week. I don't see the problem with walling in resources cause it's not a problem at all. There are wells pretty much everywhere unless you are at the edges of the map and since you don't spawn there anyway it's on you cause you didn't pack water in your backpack.

Again, being thirsty or not thirsty is not the issue I'm trying to point out. The issue is determining whether or not community rules are being broken. It's already been established that it's not very fair to wall off entire towns when nobody is inside said walls to RP with. Please refer to above posts. 

If a settlement wants to build around a water-soruce, I will be damned if I say that they can't. I don't see any reason why they aren't allowed. If you need water, find another water-source, or just do what anyone else would do, break-in and get your damn water. I don't see any further purpose of this thread, other than to find another excuse to restrict others from building a proper settlement.

A proper settlement, as in being logically built for the purpose of safety and survival.

3 minutes ago, CamoRP said:

A proper settlement, as in being logically built for the purpose of safety and survival.

I don't disagree. I think settlements should absolutely be a part of the game and RP community in particular. I just happen to be of the mind that, when a survivor happens upon such a settlement and there is absolutely no access to the resources other than to break in, especially being as there isn't anyone around, that it's kind of bullshit. Period. (Please refer to my above points). If there was some RP value for others NOT in the "settlement," then sure. But there isn't. That's my point. There are towns that are almost completely inaccessible and there is nobody around to RP with for access. AGAIN, I reiterate that just because one is ABLE to break in doesn't mean that they SHOULD- specifically from an RP standpoint. That is the point of this thread, to address this issue- not to slam settlement building as I've tried over and over to articulate. 

You don't see how breaking someones walls make sense from an RP perspective? You're dehydrated, the next closest clean water source is too far to make the trek. You're going to pass out and die. Good or evil, the persons property be damned. You, need, that, water. Unless your character is borderline brain-dead, they WILL break a section of the wall to get to it.