Server time (UTC): 2019-06-26, 05:10
Sign in to follow this  
Zipcouda

Cancer Roleplay 26/4/2019

Posted (edited)

Finally someone puts a thread up about this shit.

I hope staff is not gonna close their eyes and instantly close this thread because this is an big issue.

Edited by Jackfish

There is an increase of Altis Life RP recently from what I have noticed. Not sure if there is anything to be done. If you feel people are trolling or providing BadRP, just report it and hope you don't get hit with the "typical hostile RP". Even if you do, at least it brings more eyes to the problem.

Ruining RP for the sake of memes. That's where a lot of roleplay has gone towards over the past couple of years. The value of roleplay, character development and storybuilding has diminished more day by day. What rules DayZRP now is cliques, not the roleplay. 

I have seen this type of stuff before and still wonder then about the thread from before where people say, nothing has changed. Oh it has...

Just now, Shanoby said:

I have seen this type of stuff before and still wonder then about the thread from before where people say, nothing has changed. Oh it has...

Probably started right around when people started making frag montages on an RP server. 

I'm sorry, but frag montages on a RP server is pretty sad. 

This server will never get better unless the players put forward the effort.

Jeeeezh that's a title if I've ever seen one.

Was hoping for a video though, can't be assed reading a wall of text.

Someone fancy giving me a TLDR? 

Posted (edited)

I'm totally agreeing with your statement!

I have been seeing this quite often, which is why I haven't really been on the servers in a while because this just ruins it so bad for me. I remember a time when RP was solid and fresh. Sure, there was the occasional OOC banter, and I didn't mind that, as long as it didn't get out of hand like how the OP described.

I'm really not sure what is going on with the RP community...Perhaps the whitelist became to easy? 

#BringBackSweatyWhitelist

Edited by jason hunter

Honestly if you see it report it.
It's the only way to get eyes on it, unfortunately, making this post will maybe start a discussion but if nobody reports it will stay the way it is with no changes. It's most likely the same people that do it, and most of them won't learn before they've got the hit.

3 minutes ago, Shanoby said:

Yep completly changed. Its a shame but ive also seen this, random punching for no reason. Initiations consisting of laughter and rolling prone on floor etc.

TLDR. Yesterday was troll RP. Intentionally ruining others RP experience. And members of staff were present and watched. The community is turning into a 'troll rp' community, and everyone being accepting of it just goes to show it.

Just now, Strawberry said:

Honestly if you see it report it.
It's the only way to get eyes on it, unfortunately, making this post will maybe start a discussion but if nobody reports it will stay the way it is with no changes. It's most likely the same people that do it, and most of them won't learn before they've got the hit.

I think we do need a discussion as well. A positive discussion in a community is bound to bring some change somehow if done right.

Just now, Kain said:

I think we do need a discussion as well. A positive discussion in a community is bound to bring some change somehow if done right.

Maybe, but he should still report it.

1 minute ago, jason hunter said:

I'm totally agreeing with your statement!

I have been seeing this quite often, which is why I haven't really been on the servers in a while because this just ruins it so bad for me. I remember a time when RP was solid and fresh. Sure, there was the occasional OOC banter, and I don't mind that, as long as it didn't get out of hand like how the OP described.

I'm really not sure what is going on with the RP community...Perhaps the whitelist became to easy? 

#BringBackSweatyWhitelist

A lot of the people who were trolling there were not white names and have been in this community for a long period of time. Its not new players ruining the server, its old, unhappy with the way its going players that just don't care anymore.

2 minutes ago, Zipcouda said:

A lot of the people who were trolling there were not white names and have been in this community for a long period of time. Its not new players ruining the server, its old, unhappy with the way its going players that just don't care anymore.

I see...That is actually rather sad to hear, and quite worrying

The thing is, what was considered good roleplay in the past was emotional, character driven and unique experiences and that was the expectations we held for other players. However now, those expectations are so much lower, good roleplay is the funniest roleplay for many people. So, what's funny to people who don't stay in a character? Memes. Thus, we get roleplay like this.

Posted (edited)

we play on a takistan/ arma life server skin with dayz and "rules" simple as, sucks but the standards that are out there are tragic, 

Edited by neom

Honestly I was quite for 4/5’s of the RP. Throughout witnessing it, I found no character progress, silliness and pure aids of too many conversations confined in one place. In no shape or form was I affiliated with anyone in that area, but I had even messaged @Jackfish saying it was too much and it had no character development but leaving me to think where else I could find actual serious RP. I get people have their silly moments but it lasted about 1-2 hours. I left to find my own RP afterwards because I was so overwhelmed.

It got to a point people went onto megaphones with fake initiations with a “just a prank bro”. To mexican standoffs (which i know which was my screenshot) but it was just to show the fuckery. 

Like I say all the time, when people are bored the server turns into a DayZ rendition of VRChat

Have you reported this? 

Just now, Roland said:

Have you reported this? 

No, and I won't be doing so. If others want to its up to them. I have the words of those who were present and me onlooking. I made this thread because no one else was. You are talking about reporting at least 15 players, many of which I don't know the name of. No one is specifically to blame, it is the culmination of everyone's behaviour adding to the stupidity. Wouldn't be fair to report some and not others.

Before I read the 18 replies to this, I'll just go ahead and give my POV. I was at the barn since... I was the one that built it. 

I had been there all day gathering logs and building the stalls aside from an hour I spent in Kab getting nails. I was out on the stream chopping logs with the crew taking them back and forth since I got 2 logs per tree at this point. By the time I got back up there, tower construction stopped since a ton of people had suddenly shown up, I imagine due to someone streaming or some such since this barn was literally not a thing until yesterday when I built it all. 

That said, there was a LOT going on, people constantly wanting to talk to me, people doing the usual "trolly" rp as you put it. Keep in mind that I am an RPer first so, I stay in character. I have a high patience and tolerance for this sort of thing after years of RPing in MMOs where there were no dedicated RP servers. PvPers/PvEers trolling RP is just something I naturally tune out at this point. I take everything IC and respond as my character would. Guns being shot? Hide in a corner. People pretending to sell other people? Make jokes with them. 

I was also at the time babysitting someone who had been drinking IRL so my main focus was on making sure they weren't going to get in trouble. I'm staff, but I'm also human and I 100% believe in letting people RP how they want. Sometimes it's characters who joke constantly, sometimes it's more serious storyline driven characters. I try my best to mold to the situation so I can provide appealing RP to those around me, I also try to be inclusive. The only way for there to be an improvement is to allow people to see what they are doing wrong and how they can improve. We can either do this by calling them out in feedback threads, in PMs, on discord, or by leading by example. I choose to lead by example. It is not a lack of care for this community. I'm pretty sure the money and time I have invested can attest to how much I care about the community. It's just not my job to ostracize people but to empower them. 

I understand your frustration, I was not witness to all of what you mentioned above but it was also very hectic and I was having to tab out to do forum staff work aside. So keeping that in mind, the trolly behavior IMO seems to be a result of boredom and an attempt to have a little fun on a Friday with what seemed to be a party environment. 

How can we improve the experience for others in the future?

A bit of self-control. If the tone of a group seems to be serious and you'd rather be in the lighthearted RP bunch, move away from the serious to let them fulfill there storyline and progressions. Likewise if you're looking for serious and roll upon the lighthearted RP. 

What is the expectation of staff during these times?

This is something I'd prefer your answer. We can either be harsh and micromanage everyone's RP, or we can do as we have been and allow things to unfold as neutral parties who step in only when there are clear rule breaks. 

Everyone here is for a bit of fun and good PvP, be chill yo. Doesn't need to be walking dead level of drama all the time 😉

1 minute ago, The Traveler said:

Everyone here is for a bit of fun and good PvP, be chill yo. Doesn't need to be walking dead level of drama all the time 😉

This attitude is one of the reasons that this shit is happening.