Server time (UTC): 2019-08-19, 19:40
Sign in to follow this  
JoeyOG

Reports W/O evidence.

Should Evidence be required for reports  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

I am presenting this idea because I find it unfair for the people handling the report have read countless blocks of texts trying to understand the situation of the report without any real evidence for it to only result in warning points because people start flaming each other in the report and it ultimately ending up in a closed report cause there is no hard evidence of rule breaks.

Pros: 

• Pointless back and forth will start to die down abit
  • Reports will get solved quicker because people will be encouraged to use recording software of even take screenshots
  • Less time will be wasted on pointless reports. Meaning there is more time for other reports to be solved with actual concrete evidence
  • If people know the majority of the server use recording software it will help to decrease the amount of rule breaks possibly.

Cons: 

• People will low end PC's who cannot record will find it somewhat difficult to make reports. 
  • Frustration and upset maybe caused due to people not being able to record an obvious rule break. 

Apologises for any bad grammar.

Edited by JoeyOG

- In some if not most cases, the accused come forward to explain their POV anyway even if not @ :ed from what I've seen
- There is no such a thing as a pointless report in my opinion, it's a matter of principle to catch someone breaking the rules
- Sometimes there is no time to record and you have to trust logs and POV. 
- The less overwatch there is on rulebreaks, the more sloppy it will get and the more rules will most likely be broken in my opinion

Ps. I mean no offence, but your poll is a bit too direct.  It's like   "This is the right answer, please agree with me"  or  "No, I disagree with you and therefore I'm wrong."      I'd suggest going with a   "Yes" or  "No"  next time to make it simple. 

NO from me. 

Don't bias your polls.

Reports without evidence have been solved with verdicts before. Not every 'he said she said' ends without a conclusion.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Ouromov said:

- In some if not most cases, the accused come forward to explain their POV anyway even if not @ :ed from what I've seen
- There is no such a thing as a pointless report in my opinion, it's a matter of principle to catch someone breaking the rules
- Sometimes there is no time to record and you have to trust logs and POV. 
- The less overwatch there is on rulebreaks, the more sloppy it will get and the more rules will most likely be broken in my opinion

Ps. I mean no offence, but your poll is a bit too direct.  It's like   "This is the right answer, please agree with me"  or  "No, I disagree with you and therefore I'm wrong."      I'd suggest going with a   "Yes" or  "No"  next time to make it simple. 

NO from me. 

I have edited the poll so that it seems less like im trying to force my ideals onto people.

Edited by JoeyOG

3 minutes ago, Rover said:

Don't bias your polls.

Reports without evidence have been solved with verdicts before. Not every 'he said she said' ends without a conclusion.

I dont understand I how the polls are biased can you elaborate please.

Personally I see that most of these 'He said she said ends without a just conclusion.

Just now, JoeyOG said:

I dont understand I how the polls are biased can you elaborate please.

Personally I see that most of these 'He said she said ends without a just conclusion.

Your edit fixed the bias.

Having a 'Yes this is the right way' and a 'No, lets keep it stupid' (paraphrasing) is a bias in polls.

I voted no. The staff team at the best of their ability will be able to determine the verdict by gathering all the POVs and sorting it out. There's also logs in some cases, may help.

this post is pretty silly. You’re basically saying yes because i’m right, or no and you’re wrong.

You shouldn’t need evidence for a report. That’s what logs are for. That’s what witnesses are for, and that’s what the staff is for. Some, can’t record because of their pc’s and may forget to take screenshots.

Reports without evidence may be harder and take longer to solve, but by no means should they require hard evidence.

Yes and no. On one hand yes it would be good for all the convenient mass "corruption of files" to stop. On the other hand I genuinely am the most forgetful person I know, and I forget to record all the fucking time. And if I forget to record an RDM that happens out of nowhere, I shouldn't be able to report? Naw. 

Yes, the OP should be required to have evidence. It is extremely uncommon for a report without video to actually have a full verdict written. If you didn't record, someone else can post it.

I voted yes. Handling reports without any evidence, and only going off of POVs is really time consuming and makes it more likely that mistakes could be made when it comes to the verdict.

While sometimes the logs are all the evidence that is needed, I think video evidence should be required for a majority of situations. At the very least, it makes the jobs of the GMs easier and makes their verdict potentially more informed and accurate.

This is a good idea to try out. If anything it will cut down on the amount of lying and bias in peoples stories.

Funny that this got brought up, but there are a few cons that you listed that would fuck a bunch of people who constantly play

Posted (edited)

Coming from NoPixel on GTARP, I know first-hand what it's like to have a report system that explicitly requires footage or pictures to even get staff to process it.

It turns into a game of 'well I know these guys don't record' and suddenly people do shit that they wouldn't do otherwise.

Now, I can see it from both sides, but allowing those that don't record (even by choice), to have a chance to file a complaint and have it seen to when staff have the opportunity, allows for clemency on the reporting party. Just the fact that their report will even get seen and looked into is enough to some, to justify going on playing that particular game or using that particular platform.

It's about offering the opportunity to bring a situation someone thought was distasteful and allowing everyone involved to come together as a COMMUNITY to bring closure. Whether that's through punishment or talking something out. Either way, its about closure. If people really want to lie about a game and a roleplay scenario, they are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

EDIT: Just wanted to add, in the OP it says that its unfair for staff to handle reports without evidence and going purely on statements that could potentially be lying. I addressed the lying just above, however, through statements you can find the truth. Whether it be the full truth from 1 side, or a mixed truth as a result of the people involved coming together to describe what took place. If the 2 parties are posting their POVs, the people that read it can easily find what is truth and what might be some baloney (I think that's how its spelled?). I know this for a fact considering I myself have been in the position of staff for other communities where photographic/video evidence was not required. Doesn't take too much to put 2 and 2 together with logs and statements of events. Just imagine the world we lived in if Police needed video/photo evidence to charge a criminal. Police in this community, would essentially be the Staff team. Trying to enforce the rules and monitor the community to provide a fun and immersive Day Z Roleplay experience.

Edited by ThePizzaMan

3 minutes ago, Outlawe said:

Funny that this got brought up, but there are a few cons that you listed that would fuck a bunch of people who constantly play

I see your concerns but honestly shadowplay has borderline zero performance impact. Low end PC's isn't a very good excuse not to use it. 

3 minutes ago, YNW Jasper said:

I see your concerns but honestly shadowplay has borderline zero performance impact. Low end PC's isn't a very good excuse not to use it. 

Right, I can understand that bit and I do intend to start recording my POV, just a concern for those who might not be able to get their recording up before they get shot, etc.

Your post kind of implies that members who don't have the tools or hardware to record interactions on the server have less rights than the ones who do. If there's one thing we don't need is more ways of ostracizing members of the community, no thanks.

Voted no.

while it may be more convenient people slip up rather frequently in their POV’s and replies. Stories change and evidently their lies unfold.

that and not everyone has the ability to record, even with w decent PC this game still runs like shit in the majority of towns. 

There are definitely times when people can incriminate themselves in a report without evidence.  If there is literally, nothing, no logs, no pov's available, yeah get it closed (although it's a good rule for staff to keep it up for 24 hours, just in case something pops up).  I think the answer is better control in reports.  When povs have been given, no other posts should be allowed unless asked for.  Get mods, GM's, admin to monitor that and give points where necessary.  Keep things in control and stick to facts and not a bunch of he said she said.  After the initial POV's (and if there is no evidence) staff can either ask questions or close the thing down if they don't think it's going to get anywhere.

No, this is a bad idea. 

Most reports have logs and testimony which allows the GMs to make well-substantiated decisions. Particularly with the position logs.

This will only lead to abuse when certain people run into the guys-who-don't-record. 

Uh... Yeah. Should someone be convicted of a crime w/o evidence? The only circumstance I am alright with no evidence ending in a verdict is if the accused and or offending party slips up and conflicts with their story, or straight up admits guilt in the report.

This will become a road-way for groups of people to gang-report people in hopes to get them banned. All it takes is 4-5 people in a group to say the same thing when accusing someone w/o evidence to defend themselves and all of a sudden that person is convicted for something they cannot be physically proven to have done.

There should be only two ways to push a punishment for a report;

1. If the evidence pushed in the report leads to a conviction and displays a clear violation of server or community rules, or
  2. If the accused or offending parties verbally admit to their rule break or "slip" up and say something that can get them caught in a lie.

This should be it. Either they shoot themselves in the foot, or there should be evidence for conviction. 

/Endrant.

If someone feels a rule has been broken, no matter the circumstances, they should have the ability to make a report and let the staff make the decision if a rule has been violated.

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

If someone feels a rule has been broken, no matter the circumstances, they should have the ability to make a report and let the staff make the decision if a rule has been violated.

I agree.

Often enough, logs and the POV's are enough to see if someone is guilty or not.