Server time: 2019-05-24, 06:00
Sign in to follow this  
Gaden

"Racism" in Roleplay

Been addressed, I know. 

But I really DO NOT see the big issue with it, I mean, we're all adults that shouldn't get offended over the smallest thing?

I get the argument for it, that people do it just for the 'edge'

Literally just like in real life, except people have more balls to do it online because they don't run the risk of being laid out for what they're saying.

I personally love the staff's firm stance on racism. The game is rated 18+, the community is 18+. If you can't handle the racism, then this obviously isn't the place for you. If you stream, then you're just like the rest of us dealing with the same problem. It's not the community's responsibility to adjust their speech to fit you. My favorite quote of all time will explain this perfectly, fellow Americans will appreciate this more than others. 

"My rights protect my speech, NOT your feelings." 

I sympathize and understand that they do it for the edge, but so do people in real life. You can't censor real life like you're attempting to censor DayZRP. It's a game rated for adults, you're all adults, at least you should be. 

Act like the adults you claim to be.

Racism is fine in DayZRP. Stop reporting it. Please. 

Is this an issue..?
People who report racism get told that it's IC and to grow thicker skin anyway, so... What does this thread accomplish aside from telling people what they have already been told..?

Just now, Ducky said:

Is this an issue..?
People who report racism get told that it's IC and to grow thicker skin anyway, so... What does this thread accomplish aside from telling people what they have already been told..?

It's STILL rampant though. 

It's still so relevant in the solved section of reports and pretty much everywhere else.

Just now, Gaden said:

It's STILL rampant though. 

It's still so relevant in the solved section of reports and pretty much everywhere else.

I've seen one or two reports recently containing the word "Racism" in the title, and both of those reports ended in basically nothing.

I agree with the overall statement of the thread, but it's kind of moot since it is already stated multiple times elsewhere.

huh

Its ok to be racist ic staff says that in every report when someone reports someone for racism

Just now, Ducky said:

I've seen one or two reports recently containing the word "Racism" in the title, and both of those reports ended in basically nothing.

I agree with the overall statement of the thread, but it's kind of moot since it is already stated multiple times elsewhere.

I see exactly where you're coming from, but the problem persists. 

All reports end with the same firm stance from the staff team, you're right, this is very good.

Just now, Gaden said:

I see exactly where you're coming from, but the problem persists. 

All reports end with the same firm stance from the staff team, you're right, this is very good.

Hence why... This thread is kind of pointless.

Is the problem that people are creating reports titled "Racism" and then being told that it is IC?

How is it a problem that they are creating the reports if they end up being told they are in the wrong?

Surely being told they are in the wrong is the desired outcome?

Why make the thread?

Just now, Ducky said:

Hence why... This thread is kind of pointless.

Is the problem that people are creating reports titled "Racism" and then being told that it is IC?

How is it a problem that they are creating the reports if they end up being told they are in the wrong?

Surely being told they are in the wrong is the desired outcome?

Why make the thread?

While I agree with you, I don't see it as pointless while at the same time I do. 

They get told they're in the wrong, and it comes up a lot, I mean, why does it keep coming up? Many people would like to see the stance changed. 

I suppose I'm just publicly reiterating that I like the current stance despite a sizeable portion wanting it changed.

Racism is fine as long as it has it's place and time, there is absolutely no reason to run around and call everyone this and that for no reason, that kinda' defeats the purpose of the loose rules surrounding the topic. If it fits into how your character is and the roleplay scenario, it's totally fine in my book, but doing it for the sole purpose of annoying/insulting someone IRL, it should be punished, even if it is IC.

It has been discussed many times.

It is allowed as long at it is IC. If people have problems with it OOC, it is one them to learn how to seperate IC & OOC.

What is the purpose of this discussion?

Just now, Gaden said:

While I agree with you, I don't see it as pointless while at the same time I do. 

They get told they're in the wrong, and it comes up a lot, I mean, why does it keep coming up? Many people would like to see the stance changed. 

I suppose I'm just publicly reiterating that I like the current stance despite a sizeable portion wanting it changed.

I just checked through the solved report section, Racism comes up in once in the first 3 pages.

I think you are blowing this sizeable portion out of proportion.

Making a thread saying. "I support the current rules" is the same as making a thread called "Breaking rules is bad, let's not do it guys."

Do you see the point im trying to make here?

I think there's a fine line to walk in these situations.

RP has to be VERY good to pull of a character who is racist/homophobic etc.  If you don't understand the nuances of how characters can effectively be portrayed as such, you probably shouldn't play that way. 

What I mean by that is.  It shouldn't define them as the only trait people get from a character.  It's pretty obvious when people are using it to troll or for shock factor.  In those situations the person is going to likely be reported.

However if a well defined, thought out character happens to be racist.  It will probably come across in a way that makes sense IC.

So I agree with what you are saying, people should grow a thick skin when it comes to this kind of RP.   But if the person behind it, isn't capable of properly providing it, and it ends up being troll rp.  Prepare for a report.

As long as it is IC and is RP'd properly and makes sense with the character's background, I do not see an issue with it. 

These days people get offended so easily, people really need to grow a thicker skin.

2 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I just checked through the solved report section, Racism comes up in once in the first 3 pages.

I think you are blowing this sizeable portion out of proportion.

Making a thread saying. "I support the current rules" is the same as making a thread called "Breaking rules is bad, let's not do it guys."

Do you see the point im trying to make here?

It comes up blatantly in one report, I do believe there have been a decent amount of mentions though, in both reports and community discussions. I personally am still learning the forums.

However, I disagree with your analogy of the rules. Many variations of that type of book have existed throughout the years, basically saying both the morals you referenced. There is much reading material that says let's not break rules. For example, the DARE program in the US. 

What I'm saying is, making a post supporting the ways things are isn't personally as pointless as you see it, but I still completely agree with you nonetheless.

4 minutes ago, MR Pussywhipped said:

I think there's a fine line to walk in these situations.

RP has to be VERY good to pull of a character who is racist/homophobic etc.  If you don't understand the nuances of how characters can effectively be portrayed as such, you probably shouldn't play that way. 

What I mean by that is.  It shouldn't define them as the only trait people get from a character.  It's pretty obvious when people are using it to troll or for shock factor.  In those situations the person is going to likely be reported.

However if a well defined, thought out character happens to be racist.  It will probably come across in a way that makes sense IC.

So I agree with what you are saying, people should grow a thick skin when it comes to this kind of RP.   But if the person behind it, isn't capable of properly providing it, and it ends up being troll rp.  Prepare for a report.

This is funny, because this is going to sound like I'm no longer supporting my own point.

But I have yet to see a case where IC racism was actually just classed as being a troll? 

I don't actually think IC racism has been punished no matter how stupid it was? 

I can VERY easily be wrong here, because I have only been here for a few months.

3 minutes ago, Jackfish said:

These days people get offended so easily, people really need to grow a thicker skin.

I completely agree. People have lost their balls at the rate the sun puts out heat. 

Kek, most racist RP I see is some child dropping the n-bomb to be edgy. Occasionally I run into more realistic racist RP, mainly from Chernarussians directed towards Takis/Russians, but most of the time it is as aforementioned. For that particular reason I would prefer it to be disallowed entirely, as its a slippery slope for GMs in defining what is and isn't good and tasteful racist RP.

Posted (edited)

Pretty simple in my opinion.  If it's done with a clear intent on attacking the person OOC repeatedly on ill intent, sure.  It could be looked into. 

But if it's just in game and in RP in a way that makes sense, deal with it  *Shrugs*

Tossing the N-word and "faggot" around like a extra word is bad taste in my opinion, but I'm not going to start policing people. People are free to do what they want to unless the rules of their environment dictate otherwise.

Edited by Ouromov

1 minute ago, Elmo said:

Kek, most racist RP I see is some child dropping the n-bomb to be edgy. Occasionally I run into more realistic racist RP, mainly from Chernarussians directed towards Takis/Russians, but most of the time it is as aforementioned. For that particular reason I would prefer it to be disallowed entirely, as its a slippery slope for GMs in defining what is and isn't good and tasteful racist RP.

I will state that I disagree with you, and would like to hold a friendly and civil discussion with you if you will. 

1 minute ago, Ouromov said:

Pretty simple in my opinion.  If it's done with a clear intent on attacking the person OOC repeatedly with clear ill intent, sure.  It could be looked into. 

But if it's just in game and in RP in a way that makes sense, deal with it  *Shrugs*

Yes, this is obviously the line. 

OOC attacks are not tolerated. 

I think it should also go as far as if you knew the person was a particular background through the forums and met them in game, you should refrain from racism in that manner, if for no other reason than courtesy. 

Posted (edited)

Only RP community I know that tolerates racism, theres arguments on both sides, you could say grow thicker skin but that doesn't apply to someone whos actually struggled with racism in their everyday lives. I can't really imagine what it feels like to be honest, so when they hear a remark in-game that has been thrown at them before in person with real meaning behind it, I'm sure it still hurts a little.

I dont agree with it at all.

Not to mention 90% of the "racists" are just fucking edgy meme lords that listen to too much rap.

Edited by Jerry

Ayup, I don't think it's a useless post. I think it's nice to clear the air from time to time like this, and make the newer players see what the community is used to and how it's like.

We live in a world filled with brittle snowflakes who can't take mean words and get offended too easily. You are correct, racism within RP thats done tastefully and not dropping the N bomb every 5 seconds is allowed and shouldn't be censored. Try to tell the snowflakes that tho, I'm pretty sure you'd have a hard time. 

Just now, Jerry said:

Only RP community I know that tolerates racism, theres arguments on both sides, you could say grow thicker skin but that doesn't apply to someone whos actually struggled with racism in their everyday lives. I can't really imagine what it feels like to be honest, so when they hear a remark in-game that has been thrown at them before in person with real meaning behind it, I'm sure it still hurts a little.

I dont agree with it at all.

But that shows a deeper issue, someone that can't separate video game reality and real life. 

Things that happen through a video game shouldn't be taken AS SERIOUS as something done in real life.

Just now, Gaden said:

But that shows a deeper issue, someone that can't separate video game reality and real life. 

Things that happen through a video game shouldn't be taken AS SERIOUS as something done in real life.

A deeper issue? maybe you've experienced racism I'm not sure, I haven't so I can't comment, but come on man its something that ruins peoples lives when they move to new places or have to deal with it where they live, its gonna hurt no matter what.

So basically every other RP community I've been a part of does not tolerate it for the simple reason it will offend somebody sooner or later, you can't control peoples emotions, and you're argument of "its just a game bro," kinda tells me you've got a lot to learn.

I'm half from a more ethnic background, Half-Filipino and Half-Finnish and dealt with racism in my life. Though I was lucky to be pretty big in sports at school time so that kind of dissipated with being a part of the "cool kids".  And when you grow up, your skin turns a bit tougher.

All of my RL friendgroups consist of taking the piss out of each other, you know poking fun at everyones weaknesses, making each other tougher and more close by that.  Atleast how I can explain it 😄   But I digress, poking fun at me using my backround is a right you have to earn with me, when I choose to be your friend. And by that time I'll be 100% fine with it and wont take it as a personal attack.

So in online communities like this someone or "snowflakes" as people use the term nowadays, maybe haven't learned to cope with that kind of toughening and handling stuff with logic. They take it as a personal attack even when it's not aimed at them. So it's good to make them realize it's just within the game, not OOC.  And they need to stop taking it personally.  So talks like this are 100% needed to clear the air. 

10 minutes ago, Gaden said:

I will state that I disagree with you, and would like to hold a friendly and civil discussion with you if you will. 

I am entirely against racist RP, not because I cannot separate IC and OOC, but because others cannot. Having done it myself, having had it done to my characters and having seen it shift from being maturely and tastefully played out to what a meme it is now, I can safely say its my preference that it returns to being entirely disallowed. Were it always done tastefully and realistically, like it was in late 2016/early 2017, I'd happily agree with you.