Server time (UTC): 2019-08-24, 17:24
Sign in to follow this  
YNW Jasper

A song of whitenames and roleplay.

Clearly these newer players haven't been paying attention to the literature.

Posted (edited)

I'm newer myself and I've come across a good amount of people that break OOC in VOIP, that we have to actually tell how the // works. Some were text RPers that didnt use the // as well. We had come across this one guy we were searching for ID but in his reply to,

*attempts to search the man for his ID*

//do we find any?

He responds with:

DUDE CHECK MY PROFILE.

I dont have a clue how the whitelist was before, but even as someone who had come into the community in the past month or so, I think it's a good idea to restore it to it's original self to weed out the ones that search for the mystery code and never pay attention to lore or rules in general. It gets increasingly annoying to older and newer people of the community that come across this kind of RPer. 

Edited by Musty Cheeto
Detail

Posted (edited)

I think the forced removal of the age restriction, simpler whitelist and a lack of understanding that people have to stay IC no matter what happens in game unless it's a IRL emergency has contributed to this. 

Edited by Samaritan

Posted (edited)

For two days now I have met people that go OOC in VoIP because they don't know how your supposed to let it be known you have OOC issues, this used to be something that would happen rarely but now it seems to be common if the whitelist is like you say dumbed down then wtf is the point of even trying to RP with the new faces in the community if they have no basic grasp of the rules. Along with meeting guys that are 14+ but play a full-fledged military dude.
Even met a guy that though this was an island and that he dropped down here a day ago as a spec ops soldier from New Zealand with no GPS or equipment.

Edited by Eagle

It is very sad how it is nowdays with big number of new people on the server. 

Just put back the old whitelist where you had to literally write shit in answers yourself. I liked it when i first joined, had to put time and effort into understanding everything and actually getting into the game. 

The // rule is seemingly unknown to many people which is crazy to me.

Jasper, you seem to have a lot more bad experiences than me. That is probably explained by the fact you do a lot of hostile RP (I think). 

Perhaps, new players arent prepared enough for hostile interactions. Maybe the whitelist should focus a bit more on that.

Bruh

I get at least 1-2 of these cringe asf interactions every day, if people even bother to speak to me IG anymore instead of running away from 1-2 guys whenever the chance to RP pops up. People having environments that are clearly unfriendly as fuck to RP, like loudass dogs barking in the background, going OOC in voip to ask what the surrender key is, tryna RDM me when I just wanna eat their ass, people clearly just hanging around to loot when fully kitted out and ignoring all attempts to interact with them that aren't hostile.

Call me elitist or w/e but the average random person I'll meet, in a day, usually gives sub-par, unmemorable RP or its memorable but for the wrong reasons. Removing an age restriction and dumbing down the whitelist is a surefire way to ensure that a mature RP environment, that wasn't even all that mature to begin with lets be honest, is completely lost and recast as something out of an A3L server.

//see you on the forums kid

works 11/10

Posted (edited)

Didn't play DayZ for years, hoped back in November expecting TOP TIER roleplay considering all the changes and the emphasis of RP over PVP. First time running into somebody, he was standing in Novy swinging his aim around and when I approached he OOC asked me about an inventory problem he was having. The same day I found out about Grishino IC so I headed there straight away, I was RPing super sketched out around people until I built trust. When I was close to Grishino there was people doing 360s and all different types of parkour so I camped in a bush to observe, eventually moved closer and they booted straight towards me and I RP'd out being nervous and one of them literally shouted "NICE RP BRO" and ran off, I honestly nearly RDM'd him.

So yeah...it really has gone to shit.

Edited by Jerry

22 minutes ago, Simatho said:

Perhaps, new players arent prepared enough for hostile interactions. Maybe the whitelist should focus a bit more on that.

+1 to this,

We need to prepare the little suckers who think they'll be rolling around in the nicest gear all the time..

I always feel torn with this. On one hand, I want to be the guiding hand for these RPers and teach them how to be good at roleplay. I despise how I've been called a "stupid f**ing whitename" more times than I can count when on a discord channel or talking to people. But I also get the anger towards me and other whitenames.

People come to DayZRP for a good experience, and they get upset when stuff like this happens. And considering the vast majority of players are whitenames (and most trolls dont buy ranks), I get it. Yet I don't believe restricting the age limit would be in any way a good idea. I believe that simply having a harder whitelist would be the best course of action, maybe even alongside pairing up veterans in the community with these new people. 

Idk

Most new people I meet break ooc in voip and just break rules in general.

I did the whitelist about a month ago and its really easy to get by.

Idk maybe the whitelist are to easy

I've been playing on the Dayz RP servers on and off for about 2016 and every time I got back on I'd find amazing RP. I've found it's been quite harder to find not really memorable rp, but the kind of normal nonchalant meetings with people that I'd have in, say, 2017 when I came back a second time. Like I remember back in 2016 I had a full blown religious discussion in character about the god's and how they viewed the world after the outbreak. I miss the kind of RP that lets you delve into your character and carefully consider how'd he answer. And I kinda still find those RP experiences, but they're kinda few and far in between now.  Some of my friend group that plays on this server is a bit guilty of this as well considering that some have just come back from 2016 so they don't notice the changes or it hasn't really sunk in for them yet.  

The whitelist should indeed made harder I believe, because most people who really want to get in will go through that added trouble. Maybe have a little RP tips and tricks corner on the forums or discord to be a reminder to some about how it should be done.       

Posted (edited)

Its just as you describe and many others here. 
Solution: Bring back the previous whitelist system with a rule containing the OOC rule.

Edited by Strawberry

I hate the current whitelist with a damn passion.

A mentally deficient monkey could get past the current whitelist system. I'd much rather we go back to the old whitelist system that actually filtered out this shit.

Pretty new to the community, trying to transfer from text-RP to voice RP has been a tough process for me. 

I don't want to sound elitist either, but some of the backstories I've seen have been borderline insane and really need a rework. It seems some just skirt through to answer the questions required while the rest of it's just borderline troll.   "Got drunk and ended up in Chernarus".   Nah, cmon man.  I think they need some overwatch to weed out stories that don't make sense.

GRANTED my first character here was supposed to be a pipeline contractor left over after the fall. But after reading the lore a bit more carefully, I doubt the "warm" relations between Russia and Chernarus would've really worked for that backstory unless I dialed it back a bit in the timeline 😄  But I would've been more than willing to correct that if guided.

I think a lot of people are still getting used to the concept of voice RP like me, it's like acting, for some people (me included) it's tough to sound natural so they might think it's silly and try to edge away from it by escaping to their comfort zone of regular communication.  I think writing up some guides for the community on how to VOIP Rp and show emotions would be a good step.  (Unless it already exists).  

Ps:   VOIP OOC I've ran into was a guy in the airfield hiding behind a tree from us and going eventually:    "I am dying of water, I need to go, bye."

Posted (edited)

#bringbackinterviewapplicationprocess , agreed it needs to be harder

Edited by DaRsnn

4 minutes ago, DaRsnn said:

#bringbackinterviewapplicationprocess , agreed it needs to be harder

There have never been a 'interviewapplicationprocess'.

The whitelist needs to be harder and not unlimited to make sure that people actually read & understand the rules in order to be able to answer the questions. I have no idea if the questions have changed since the last time, but letting people in who needed alot of tries and just passed the whitelist by 'luck',  makes no sense to me. Right now, most of the new players have zero clue what this server is about. It just shows how bad the whitelist process is.

1 minute ago, Terra said:

There have never been a 'interviewapplicationprocess'.

Back in 2015 you would have to enter the teamspeak channel and you would be asked questions about scenarios and the rules.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, DaRsnn said:

Back in 2015 you would have to enter the teamspeak channel and you would be asked questions about scenarios and the rules.

Not true.

We never interviewed people in order to play here. In the beginning you only had to submitt a backstory. 2015 it was already an automated system and the Admins had to read the answers and approve the whitelist. No interviews.

Edited by Terra

The crazy thing is, the whitelist is so easy but people still fail it and post for help on here. Thats the level of RP we're getting here. We're letting in the wrong people, we should adopt Donald Trump's method and build a wall, meaning, make the whitelist very difficult. But I know two good reasons why its easy. More players = Potentially more money for Jim and Rolle, which is fair enough. Second is time and lack of staff. My suggestion, there is probably at least a dozen people who would volunteer to look over applications, look for volunteer's and create a new staff position or make them additional support, then make the whitelist harder. Less players coming in sure, but quality over quantity is what the majority wants here. Lets make DayZRP great again.

2 minutes ago, Terra said:

Not true.

We never interviewed people in order to play here. In the beginning you only had to submitt a backstory. 2015 it was already an automated system and the Admins had to read the answers and approve the whitelist. No interviews.

Me and my friend applied at the same time and both went through this exact process, are you sure? you would be asked to define the NLR rule in your own words for example and then also answer a few questions about what you would do in different RP scenarios, that is why I was so surprised upon rejoining because of the sheer simplicity of the new whitelist.

Just now, DaRsnn said:

Me and my friend applied at the same time and both went through this exact process, are you sure? you would be asked to define the NLR rule in your own words for example and then also answer a few questions about what you would do in different RP scenarios, that is why I was so surprised upon rejoining because of the sheer simplicity of the new whitelist.

Yes I am sure. I was Admin at the time.... Not sure what Server you applied for.

The only time we spoke to people about their whitelist was when they failed 3 times and got another chance. They had the chance to come to the TS and speak to a member of Staff - not a Admin... could be anyone in Staff,  and got helped with their whitelist while having their last chance.