Server time (UTC): 2019-08-19, 04:40
Sign in to follow this  
WaywardWhale

Any tips for Detective type characters?

Just recently I made a new Detective Character to play with my buddy @bigb43 so we'd have this neat little group dynamic going on. Maybe make a P.I. Office of our own someday. But I'm really wondering how Detective type characters would work in the current climate of the server and how'd we go about making a name for ourselves. Any tip's or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  

I might've made fun of your friends backstory a bit on discord xD  Ostriches for fiances, got drunk and ended up in Chernarus etc.

But to the point. I think some form of "intel" for payment type of deal? 
"Want us to find out about someone in particular?  We'll get on it."

Intel is pretty important for a lot of people, but I'd say you'd have to start out with small innocent stuff.  Because if you go for the big fish right off the bat, you might end up at the wrong end of a gun. People's characters tend to be a bit touchy and with the lack of civilian settlements you'd have to get your info out on the road or in active hostile territory.

Build up a name, a trustworthy name, a neutral name and try to avoid getting hanged up by politics, literally 😛

Decide on whether you're going to take up good causes only or whether you'll dig up dirt on anyone as long as the pay is good, depending on which one you go for will change the type of character you play a lot.

@Ouromov @KencoBlaze12Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah gotta make sure to build our names up first and decide what causes we wanna take up before we go heading into the Big Player den in Chernarus. Don't wanna step on the tails of the beasts after all. Hopefully I'll make The Pinkerton's proud in the end. 

Hopefully someone will make a civilian settlement soon where we can set up shop and gather information. Maybe just be a safe haven from all the fighting that's been happening all along the server. 

Just make sure you respect chernarussian customs.

That's all imma say.

I think that is both a simple and yet tough question depending on from where you look at it or what you want to do, or in what situation you end up.

Maybe describing it from my perspective helps: Over the years I did more extensive role- and gameplay in settings from playing both dystopian and modern day (more, let's say, democratic)cops or detectives, both where it was mostly a background and also where you literally have this as a job, such as in Arma or Space Station 13 as guard (quasi cop) or literally detective where you investigate crimes with tools, talk to people, etc.

Here I started a cop char as my first one since I usually tend to do that.

And thing is... while prior experience can help, I don't even think it's that necessary. I should add I started early on in the infection, now it's even more time that passed and while you didn't mention cop but detective, ask yourself if that prior role, the job itself, should still play a role for the behavior of your character. I doubt it, unless you offer this as service to people.

If so, even if remotely, ask yourself how the prior job might've shaped or influenced your character. Simple example: Cops might be more observant, cautious, etc. Even in private. Would the same apply?  To get back to why I described my own prior experience, I think even if you had more extensive general experience or did that in games or even in reality, I dunno if it would still come into play much.

2 hours ago, WaywardWhale said:

But I'm really wondering how Detective type characters would work in the current climate of the server and how'd we go about making a name for ourselves. Any tip's or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

To get back to this question in a summarized version to what I just wrote or hinted at: In this current climate it would likely be hard compared to PI work before the 'apocalypse' or the same work now but in civilization. I sadly have no real "guide" on how to do it, I could also give pointers from my own view but just sit there and ask yourself:

"How would I do this if I were in the character's shoes?"

I mean it, actually sit down if you have a few free minutes and think, then write down things or do note them down mentally. I am sure the brainstorming will give you ideas on your own already. Also perhaps look at the work of real PIs via wiki pages and reports or articles to get good pointers. If your char has that background it is the best cause of action to actually investigate the job specifics - even if you can't really apply the job anymore (My char was a cop, but you think he's going to man police stations or arrest people? Nope, not really anymore - that just as an example) you get precious key aspects about character behavior or what to perhaps look out for. Also this helps you to "get back in-character" in certain situations where your professional knowledge would be relevant, e.g. your character going "Yes, this is how we would do it, taught by the job".

My personal stance is the job is still relatively viable, just perhaps in a more adapted form. At the core, people will see a demand or need for this type of job, so if you do a bit of research and ask around and get into the mindset and lay the groundwork for your char, you'll likely actually make a name for yourselves, even in a cliché way by advertising your 'detective agency' and establishing a brand for that.

I'm sure there's various movies/games that you can get inspired for a Detective type character, if you're unsure here's a small list 🙂

- L.A Noire

- Fallout 4 (Nick Valentine)
- Alone in the Dark
- Condemned

Hopefully this helped a bit!

@Kase @Combine thanks y'all have helped me so much I've decided where I want to go with my P.I. Type character not a full cliche Noir detective but a guy who acts like it because it makes up for the vulnerabilities he feels in the apocalypse. Making his own personal decision to remove himself from the man he once was. I'd thought I add a cool character like that with him breaking character every now and then.

Not exactly sure what everyone else has said at this point BUT I almost did the same thing with a friend. We thought we'd try two private detectives, start a small dynamic and everything like you are haha. Never got around to it so good luck! 

Like others have said offer your services to groups or people, gather intel for them, spy on people for them. Maybe groups can hire you as something that you aren't. Perhaps you offer your services as an internal detective but everyone else in the group thinks you are just a hired gun or worker.

I don't know if you want any tips specifically on character behavior but when I was going to try this my character was going to be pretty quick. Rarely would he go to the extreme of his gun. He would be witty and talk things out. Find ways to communicate with people, maybe find ways to manipulate them into thinking something was their idea when you really just planted it in their head. You could research like some detective communication skills or something. Pay lots of attention to details. The way people talk, the tone of their voice and body behavior, EVERYTHING. Otherwise watch some movies or shows. Watch the Robert Downey Jr Sherlock Holmes movies. Very good haha. The first one is on Netflix. 

Either way good luck with this, should be fun!