Server time (UTC): 2019-08-26, 06:31
Sign in to follow this  
FalkRP

GPS and Markers

GPS and Markers  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

Back in the good ole days of the mod, if you had a GPS and a Map you could add a marker and you can see how far you were from it and know what way you were going. Would you like to see this again?

Edited by Falk

Voted no, can be abused for zeroing rifles for long distances shooting when there’s a range finder in game, also just run around the map is more realistic then having a marker on your screen saying where you are 

Im in half a mind since you cant use a map and orienteering compass properly to get bearings to run, though it could be abused. then again with using for sniping then you could use a compass and map to get a distance so IDK unless the devs can make a working map and compass system so that you can do the stuff you can IRL then id be cool with it

I'm all for this. I understand that we all play this game and this server for the aspects of realism however, who wants to play walking simulator for 45 minutes whilst lost just because they wanted to get to the roleplay area of the night? This would also help newer players learn the map and save people from starving to death when they get lost in the dense forests of South Zagoria.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Falk said:

Back in the good ole days of the mod, if you had a GPS and a Map you could add a marker and you can see how far you were from it and know what way you were going. Would you like to see this again?

It acted as a rangefinder though, helped when learning ranges but it'd be powergaming these days. Was fun drawing art for everyone to see on public servers hehe.

If anyone doesn't know the map, its fun learning your way around without a silly waypoint feature.

4 minutes ago, General Rickets said:

I'm all for this. I understand that we all play this game and this server for the aspects of realism however, who wants to play walking simulator for 45 minutes whilst lost just because they wanted to get to the roleplay area of the night? This would also help newer players learn the map and save people from starving to death when they get lost in the dense forests of South Zagoria.

Don't wanna take away the struggle of being a noob for people, also doesn't make IC sense to be able to just dart around in a straight line everywhere if you actually dont know the way.

Edited by Jerry

3 minutes ago, Jerry said:

It acted as a rangefinder though, helped when learning ranges but it'd be powergaming these days. Was fun drawing art for everyone to see on public servers hehe.

If anyone doesn't know the map, its fun learning your way around without a silly waypoint feature.

Don't wanna take away the struggle of being a noob for people, also doesn't make IC sense to be able to just dart around in a straight line everywhere if you actually dont know the way.

Yeah you raise good points which there is no counter for really however, with the compass most of the time I do just dart in a straight line to the places I need to get to if i'm in a hurry.

Posted (edited)

While my lazy side agrees with this, my "muh immersion" one likes the idea of people getting lost because they don't know the map, or fuck up an easy kill because they thought the target was at 300 meters, while it was at 450.

Edited by Mak

It would make it feel more like Arma and less like DayZSA, while it would be great to have it, it is a part of DayZSA to learn the map, get lost sometimes, stumble across unknown places etc, in a sense it mimics what would be a more realistic situation in navigating the terrain

A NO from me.  ANO.. hehe.  

Getting lost is a part of the experience, and brings more fun on the table along with unexpected results.

Though can be argued people just use the DayZ online map anyway.

IF this was added I would suggest making the gps -exceedinly- rare and a sought after item.  Not just a easy button for fresh spawns to navigate. 
But I am still leaning more towards =  No thanks.

Gps is great but should be extremely rare item, without the markers though. Ruins the experience of navigating 

I agree as long as you cannot set down markers. Make them murder your batteries or whatever you use to power them too. 

Why not just have the Izurvive App on your phone?

As someone who can see the points of not having it for zeroing/powergaming reasons i still have to say i would like this feature, with the addendum that while a way-point shows, a numeric meter does not, to me it's important that people use a way-point so that stories can happen for the old and new players  alike and let's face it if a noob/solo player picks up a radio with someone saying we have sanctuary or hears rumours of aid/medical at 'x' and has no idea how to get there irl yet their character probably would depending on how long they have been surviving i say why the hell not, but yeah i agree make them rare/battery intensive or something so that even when you have one your never truly 'guaranteed' passage to the destination but that the option is there for people who just want to rp and navigate easier without having to alt-tab dayzstandalone map+ it (which could be quite game breaky in it's own way except when alt tabbed you might miss an interaction or an initiation and nobody wants that) also could be cool for the heroic/medic groups to hand out such item's to lone survivors etc. and really make a difference to that characters life beyond beans/water.

It would be fun if we'd have the arma 3 map, but without the capability to see others markers, you can only see yours which are placed on the map, but you can't see em on the normal playing screen.