Server time (UTC): 2019-08-22, 14:30
Sign in to follow this  
Gremlinco

Base Raiding / Destruction Time

Base Raiding / Destruction Time  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I figured out how to make the destruction of walls, combination locks and barbedwire take longer and I even got a script going that can change how long it takes depending on the irl time of the day (server time).

Destruction time for walls/gates, combination locks and barbedwire can be changed separately btw, including damage to tools.

Salvaging abandoned bases won't be affected by this! This is only for destruction from the outside!

So I wanna hear if people want raiding to be an effort now or if they prefer it taking 1 min.

• I can make it so it takes a bit longer during peak hours and very long outside as to avoid offline raiding (my current test is from 17:00 UTC to 23.59 UTC, which is where the server is most populated)
  • I can make it so tools are heavily damaged or ruined on successful destruction
  • I can also just make it so raiding just takes a lot longer no matter what time it is ofc

Please remember this is work in progress and might NEVER make it to the server! I just want some input on what the people think if we get this feature implemented!

In my opinion, until the promised ladders are added, the timer to destroy a base should remain as it is.

You can't say it's quick, because it isn't.

Don't want people to steal your precious loot? Hide your base properly ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Getting griefed? Report it, don't make a thread about it and then say "you can't be bothered to report"; if you can't be bothered to do it it means you didn't really care about your base after all.

If you have an RP hotspot with walls (and don't have or simply don't care about the loot inside), leave the gate unlocked when you log off, and you'll see that nobody breaks anything down (if they do, report it).

When attacking a walled off base the defender already have (rightfully so) a crazy advantage: because there's no advanced movement in the game, nor ladders (yet) so the only option for the attackers is to either boost each other in (and being exposed to getting easily wall banged) or stand still for 5 minutes and break a wall (read content of previous parenthesis).

Posted (edited)

I am happy we have developers working on balancing out the server by implementing a method that prevents offline-raiding and other OOC activities that don't contribute RP to the others.

In regards to petty thievery, and other raiding of personal storage, I don't mind. Such as tents, barrels, stashes, etc. hidden away in the woods. But when it comes to settlements that contribute CampfireRP, TraderRP, SettlerRP and other hubs, it pisses me off what players do when they don't have to worry about getting caught unless they commit the act during peak hours.

From what I read so far, I like the idea. I support most of the ideas, but here's how I would do it.

Destruction or Dismantling Time & Tools requirement mechanics:

• Exterior destruction of wooden fences - 5 minutes, 10% chance of failure. Acceptable tools: Axe, Crowbar, Hacksaw, Hatchet, Pickaxe, Sledgehammer
  • Exterior destruction of sheet-metal fences - 10 minutes, 15% chance of failure. Acceptable tools: Crowbar or Sledgehammer
  • Interior dismantle of fences no matter the material - 1 minute, no chance of failure. Acceptable tools: Axe, Crowbar, Hacksaw, Hatchet, Pickaxe, Sledgehammer
  • Exterior Combination-lock (Gate) destruction - 3 minutes, 33% chance of failure. Acceptable tools: Hacksaw
  • Dismantle of gate - 1 minute, no chance of failure. Acceptable tools: Pilers
  • Dismantle of barbed-wire - 3 minutes, no chance of failure. Acceptable tools: Pilers

If a raiding player is lucky, they'll be able to get pass a sheet-metal fence, with barbed wire. Within 3 minutes + 10 minutes = 13 minutes, with only a 15% chance of failure. They will require at least two tools to attempt this.

Raiding times:

• Only allow base-destruction (this doesn't include dismantling for the builders), when the server has a minimum of 45 (or 45%) players online.

• OTHER OPTION: Only allow base-destruction during peak hours. Disable base-destruction outside of this time.

Other mechanics:

• You may only use a crowbar, if you wish to salvage the supplies after dismantling the fence from the interior. No sharp-edge or other destructive tools may be used for salvage.
  • You may only use pilers to dismantle a gate or barbed-wire (also while salvaging supplies).
  • All tools used for destruction (not dismantling) of any base object, will be set to condition "Badly Damaged" (or Ruined), upon ANY attempt after animation.

Base-defense mechanics:

• Barbed-wire damage - 10% health or blood-loss per 3 seconds while entangled in barbed-wire. If you're stuck on barbed-wire for more than 30 seconds, you're dead. 
  • Barbed-wire other states - 20% chance of becoming unconscious on barbed-wired after entangled for more than 5 seconds.

Settlement Rules:

For unofficial settlements or bases. I say, no rules. Only griefing rules will apply.

4.8 Griefing is act of damaging or destroying a player base, storage container, vehicles or their contents using OOC knowledge, ill intent or doing so without IC reasoning that is proportionate to the damage done.

Edited by CamoRP

Posted (edited)

How is peak hours defined?

Is it based on European Peak Hours or is it based on American Peak Hours?

Im retarded and cant read blue text pls my name is Nathan.

Sounds good though, let's get it.

Edited by Ducky

Huh

Making the timer longer will just lead to more gearRP and people building forts that take to long to break into

Just hide your base better

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, CamoRP said:

I am happy we have developers working on balancing out the server by implementing a method that prevents offline-raiding and other OOC activities that don't contribute RP to the others.

In regards to petty thievery, and other raiding of personal storage, I don't mind. Such as tents, barrels, stashes, etc. hidden away in the woods. But when it comes to settlements that contribute CampfireRP, TraderRP, SettlerRP and other hubs, it pisses me off what players do when they don't have to worry about getting caught unless they commit the act during peak hours.

From what I read so far, I like the idea. I support most of the ideas, but here's how I would do it.

Destruction or Dismantling Time & Tools requirement mechanics:

• Exterior destruction of wooden fences - 5 minutes, 10% chance of failure. Acceptable tools: Axe, Crowbar, Hatchet, Pickaxe, Sledgehammer
  • Exterior destruction of sheet-metal fences - 10 minutes, 15% chance of failure. Acceptable tools: Crowbar or Sledgehammer
  • Interior dismantle of fences no matter the material - 3 minutes, no chance of failure. 
  • Exterior Combination-lock (Gate) destruction - 3 minutes, 33% chance of failure. Acceptable tools: Hacksaw
  • Interior dismantle of gate - 3 minutes, no chance of failure: Acceptable tools: Pilers

Raiding times:

• Only allow base-destruction (this doesn't include dismantling for the builders), when the server has a minimum of 45 (or 45%) players online.

• OTHER OPTION: Only allow base-destruction during peak hours. Disable base-destruction outside of this time.

Other mechanics:

• You may only use a crowbar, if you wish to salvage the supplies after dismantling the from the interior. No sharp-edge or other destructive tools may be used for salvage.
  • You may only use pilers to dismantle a gate or barbed-wire.
  • All tools used for destruction (not dismantling) of any base object, will be set to condition "Badly Damaged" (or Ruined), upon ANY attempt after animation.

Base-defense mechanics:

• Barbed-wire damage - 10% health or blood-loss per 3 seconds while entangled in barbed-wire. If you're stuck on barbed-wire for more than 30 seconds, you're dead. 
  • Barbed-wire other states - 20% chance of becoming unconscious on barbed-wired after entangled for more than 5 seconds.

Settlement Rules:

For unofficial settlements or bases. I say, no rules. Only griefing rules will apply.

This is actually a very good suggestion. I do like very very much, but what about abandoned places? 
I bet you can salvage them without worrying someone will report you.

I get the idea we should have settlements without it being griefed every day, but we do not want useless settlements all over the map.

Right? 

Edited by Horse

4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

How is peak hours defined?

Is it based on European Peak Hours or is it based on American Peak Hours?

Server peak hours are between 17:00 to 01:00 (UTC) for all timezones. With peak hours I mean when population is above 60-70

1 minute ago, Horse said:

This is actually a very good suggestion. I do like very very much, but what about abandoned places? 
I bet you can salvage them without worrying someone will report you.

I get the idea we should have settlements without it being griefed very day, but we do not want useless sentlements all over the map.

Right? 

Salvaging isnt affected by this, it's only destruction from the outside. It still takes 15 seconds or something to salvage from the inside.

Posted (edited)

Is it possible to change the way actions for dismantling work? Would it be possible to change it to a simple button click and wait instead of having to hold it down? 

I am all for this. The only ones who seem to be against giving base ownership more benefits are people that constantly attack or raid them. 

Edited by Zero

1 minute ago, Dusty said:

Huh

Making the timer longer will just lead to more gearRP and people building forts that take to long to break into

Just hide your base better

It's not simply about hiding your group's base.

A lot of the players I know who complain about offline-raiding, are the players who are trying to create public settlements that provide roleplay to the community. Not strictly gear hoarding.

As you may have noticed @Mademoiselle has gone through a lot of effort to provide MedicalRP to the community, just to have offline-raiding and repeated PvP occur in her settlement. There was some HostileRP involved, but very limited from what I witnessed. 

I had to logoff with two ALICE backpacks full of medical supplies every night so she wouldn't give up hope (no pun intended). We need lockable storage, and bases to be more secure.

I don't want to turn this thread into a big ol' debate or flaming war. I just wanted to state that fact as an example of why this is really needed.

1 hour ago, Zero said:

Is it possible to change the way actions for dismantling work? Would it be possible to change it to a simple button click and wait instead of having to hold it down? 

I am all for this. The only ones who seem to be against giving base ownership more benefits are people that constantly attack or raid them. 

Sadly it needs to be a continous button press, but I think it saves destruction if you let go (edit: it doesnt).

Just now, Gremlinco said:

I think it saves destruction if you let go.

As of now I can confirm it doesn't

8 minutes ago, Zero said:

I have a programmable keyboard, so I just set up a macro to do it automatically. Could you imagine the amount of cramps I would have? I had to dismantle so many fences due to a poorly constructed design by a fellow builder once. It took a while and I sure hell wasn't gonna sit and hold my mouse down through the whole thing. Haha. 😛

3 minutes ago, CamoRP said:

I have a programmable keyboard, so I just set up a macro to do it automatically. Could you imagine the amount of cramps I would have? I had to dismantle so many fences due to a poorly constructed design by a fellow builder once. It took a while and I sure hell wasn't gonna sit and hold my mouse down through the whole thing. Haha. 😛

SITEasdasddd get GIF

But no seriously, it would be nice to have a way to set it up so when you 'start' the animation it continues until you click again to stop it. But I have no idea if this is something DayZ has the ability to let our devs do or not. Toggle instead of held animations?

2 hours ago, Mak said:

Don't want people to steal your precious loot? Hide your base properly ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

To add to that: Don't want people to steal your precious loot? Make bases for RP purposes and don't be silly enough to keep all your shiny gear inside an RP hub you know gets a lot of traffic 0_0 

7 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

To add to that: Don't want people to steal your precious loot? Make bases for RP purposes and don't be silly enough to keep all your shiny gear inside an RP hub you know gets a lot of traffic 0_0 

What’s an RP hub? The last two I’ve seen be built have only been a beacon for trolls to come grief.. seriously though is there such a thing as rp hub?

14 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

I disagree with this wholeheartedly.  You shouldn't have to build two bases just to provide RP to the community and keep gear for yourself.  Keeping gear outside of your group's RP hub-esque base is treating a symptom, not the problem.

i Think breaking into bases is fine its just sucks when its broken into while your offline. It happens right. I don't mind losing gear and guns ammo all those things i just hate losing tents!. Maybe add a rule Thats like. Barrels and Chests are fine to take but tents arn't? either way i've gotten better at hiding loot i don't want to lose! Its hard to say until Gate locks are fixed and more is added for base building. 

Bases stick out like a sore thumb. So, like others said, don't put the stuff you don't want to lose in there. You can hide barrels, tents, containers, etc. outside of your base. It already takes a long time to break a wall panel, and you can't even alt-look around while doing it because it will cancel the animation and reset your progress. I think keeping the time it takes how it is now is the best option.

It should take wayyyyy longer to break into any base 20 minutes plus for a wooden wall and 40 minutes or more for metal wall

4 hours ago, Peril said:

I disagree with this wholeheartedly.  You shouldn't have to build two bases just to provide RP to the community and keep gear for yourself.  Keeping gear outside of your group's RP hub-esque base is treating a symptom, not the problem.

You are totally right... 

I 100% believe that people shouldn't be keeping their loot in bases full stop. 

Stashes have always been the best way to hide loot, it is the same now as it was in 2013 when bases were indestructable terrain admins would graft onto the map in the editor... 

Bases are not for someone to keep their m14 safe. 

They are there to provide good RP through cool as hell hubs for people to visit. 

Trade Post, Diseal plant, Raven's nest... all were hall marks of the map and it's stretched out community. Anyone who has spend 7 hours + building a base around a set of buildings near a big town just so they can hide their loot has missed the point of why base building could of been a great edition to the server. 

People breaking into bases and destroying walls that took hours to make? Yeah that's an issue. But folks losing their gear / having their base wrecked because they added a big "COME LOOT ME" sign in the middle of the base in the form of a big mili tent with 15 M4's and 200 bottles of mountain dew... yeah that's people being punished for their blissfully ignorant view of the server if you ask me. 

3 hours ago, Aeryes said:

I'm adding in lots of really cool base stuff over the next few months and some of this stuff will be upgrades to wood, such as metal and stone. I suggest leaving it as it is only because I have plans for base building upgrades. Also these new items will be much quicker and easier to build. 

Considering you are telling the OP to leave it... implies he didn't know what you were working on? 

Have we just pararazzi'd a confession that the dev team isn't communicating with each other properly? 😉 

10 hours ago, The Traveler said:

Considering you are telling the OP to leave it... implies he didn't know what you were working on? 

Have we just pararazzi'd a confession that the dev team isn't communicating with each other properly? 😉 

I haven't been informed of it and anyway I don't see it as a stopper that Aeryes (our dev god) is working on a future project, when what I got is something to change something that some view as an issue currently. We can always remove my script when we want to it's tiny hehe

9 hours ago, Aeryes said:

He is new to the team.

tenor.gif

But in all seriousness fair enough :L 

13 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

tenor.gif

But in all seriousness fair enough :L 

Don't worry buddy the dev team is one big happy family, even though we are very quiet 😉 

We just try to avoid disappointment so we keep to the shadows of the dungeon Rolle locked us in

Until they add a system to accumulate all the damage to a section of fence rather than you putting the boards you worked 2min to break down back up if you accidently let go of your mouse button is just stupid...

Make it a mini game I don't care. Just fix that, than maybe make the destruction times longer.