Server time (UTC): 2019-08-23, 01:27
Sign in to follow this  
Samaritan

Staff Productivity/TeamSpeak

Posted (edited)

Hello staff,

(Please take this thread as intended, it is not to have a pop at the current staff. I was in staff for a while and understand it's positives and negatives, being in staff isn't easy so as far as I'm concerned I respect each one of you for doing it as it can be a thankless task at times.) 

I've increased my activity on the forum and in game recently so this is just a recent observation plus I'm seen an increasing number of passive aggressive remarks in regards to staff productivity for things appearing to be taking longer to be resolved e.g. reports, appeals etc. and I was wondering if you think that this is related to TeamSpeak shutting down? When I was in staff people would talk (voice) in the staff channels on TS to discuss and resolve things fairly swiftly. I know staff use other mediums of communication but I was wondering if you still talk (voice) with each other or mainly use text to discuss things. When I was in staff we used both methods of communication do get stuff concluded, voice being the most productive in my opinion.

TL:DR - Has the removal of TS effected staff productivity?

Regards

Samaritan

Edited by Samaritan

From what I believe, TS has not effected it, but I wasn't in staff when we had TS. We all do talk very often and we know people are making remarks about our productivity, but the last time we tried to push a report verdict quickly, everyone was against how some of us handled it. From that mistake, we now try to keep reports open for as long as we can to discuss about it and not make the same mistake again. Remember I wasn't in staff when TS was around, so another staff member might be more qualified to answer this question.

I see GMs and other staff in our staff voice channels in Discord every day. It may not be populated like it used to be on TS, but I don't think it has reduced productivity in any measurable way. For the most part, text in GM chat has replaced voice discussion, as it is usually not needed for reports and appeals, they can be done solely based on staff notes.

Teamspeak, at least in my view provides a more direct and personal link between community members and staff. I don't think it has reduced staff activity, but it's harder for me to talk to people and help folks out in Discord.

With TS everybody was right with each other, now nobody uses the Discord channels and we are all segregated on our separate Discord servers. But that's a separate topic.

8 hours ago, Roland said:

It may not be populated like it used to be on TS, but I don't think it has reduced productivity in any measurable way.

I think the main reason for this is the fact that Discord text chat is much better and clearer than TS's, it's easier to discuss things through chat on Discord than it was on Teamspeak. There isn't really much need for voice discussions as it is much easier to simply discuss it through text, and the ability to easily share videos and pictures helps this a bunch.

The only thing that I personally liked better about Teamspeak was the fact that all the groups had their own private rooms, they were used a bunch and almost everyone who was playing was connected to the Teamspeak. Besides that, I feel like Discord is fine the way it is. The help-desk and #help channels work perfectly fine, using Discord make it easier to help people in the help-desk because you can simply and easily DM them images and links to better explain things/help them. The text chats are almost always being used, and the voice rooms are also used from time to time.

All in all, I would probably say that Discord has affected the staff team in a positive way, making it easier to discuss things with each other, even when some people aren't around, and makes it easier for us to help other people as well.

Sign in to follow this