Server time: 2019-04-21, 15:09
The Nikitin Prodejna - Trade Post Event
TODAY | 2019-04-21 17:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 1 hour, 50 minutes | Chernogorsk Docks | Peaceful
Roland

Group requirements revised

Group requirements have been revised and rewritten, to be more simple to understand and easy to read.

Everything is mostly the same except for one major change and that is preventing members "holding groups" for other people to bypass group requirements. This will not be allowed anymore. Basically, whoever creates the thread will be considered the eternal group leader and not just a pawn for someone else.

Whoever is the owner of the thread and group page is also required to act as the highest rank and leader in game. Staff will no longer take requests to change ownership of a group. The ownership will only be changed in cases where the current leader goes inactive and stops actively playing and visiting the website, quits the group permanently without option to rejoin or gets banned.

You will be given a grace period of 7 days to comply with these requirements. During this time we will still take ownership change requests in order for your group to meet these new requirements. So if the person currently leading the group is not the correct one, now is the last chance to fix it. After that grace period is finished it will no longer be possible and groups may be archived if they do not fulfill these requirements.

You can read the new revised rules and requirements here:

Been looking forward for something on the lines of this. Sounds good.

11 minutes ago, Roland said:

Whoever is the owner of the thread and group page is also required to act as the highest rank and leader in game.

What if said group does not have an IC leader or the IC leadership changes to someone else?

1 minute ago, AndreyQ said:

What if said group does not have an IC leader or the IC leadership changes to someone else?

In these situations staff will need to get involved and discuss a solution tailored specifically for the group depending on the circumstances. Those are two edge cases that happen so rarely they do not justify blocking this change.

42 minutes ago, Roland said:

Whoever is the owner of the thread and group page is also required to act as the highest rank and leader in game. Staff will no longer take requests to change ownership of a group. 

I don't like that in the slightest. Like what if a group has no leader? It's ran more like a council? We can't do that now? 

Like say when I had The Hounds up, I was playing a 15 year old kid. I wasn't the leader IC for that reason. I had the thread though. 

Please re-consider this. 

48 minutes ago, Roland said:

quits the group permanently without option to rejoin...

Question about this statement: So, if the Leader drops the group and for RP reasons eventually comes back or returns on a new character, this new rule will bar them from ever joining the group again? Did I misread that, or? I understand where you are coming from with everything else, but this confuses me. 

Like a few others here, I don't understand the need for an IC group leader?

Maybe someone can address why thay is helpful, I might be missing something?

On an OOC level, sure absolutely one group leader that will help with "council"/represent the group, makes sense.  But forcing someone to be the IC in game seems like a strange decision.

Like I said maybe I'm missing something, hopefully @Roland or another staff member can elaborate a bit.

What happens then if the character that holds the page isn't the leader of the group but someone who keeps the thread clean and looking good? will the group get archived?

The group leader thing IG and out of game is super gross.

I also just don't really see the benefit either? I mean I understand out of game, having someone represent a member of the "council"... But apart from that? The IG leadership thing is pretty meh. Feels like people are gonna get pigeonholed into an RP style even if it doesn't suit the group or character. 

Minus 1 from me.

Requiring the IC group leader to be the one owning the thread seems silly to me.

I really don't understand the need for the distinction of leadership in game, especially in the sense of requiring the in-character leader to run the out-of-character forum post.  You could argue about cases of the in-character leader not having the time or knowledge to manage the thread, or cases of groups with councils of leader, so on and so forth, all day long, but overall: what's the point of this?  It just seems like a pointless and forced thing to worry about, much less have a rule about.

Yeah I don't really think this is a good or even necessary change. Nobody was complaining about anything that was mentioned, so I really don't understand the change.

I don't understand the need for these changes nor do I see a clear explanation for them. Sometimes it's easier to have one person who is more knowledgeable in graphic design be owner of the thread so that it's easier to update, and that person is not always the leader. Furthermore, forcing that person to be the IC leader feel quite unnecessary. If the reasoning is because there is some kind of abuse or grey area, it would be nice to know because this seems like something that is seen only from the staff side and probably not very obvious to members.

The OOC leader doesn't really bother me, but forcing them to be the IC leader I don't really get. 

Can I ask what happens to a group then if the leader is perm'd either by choice or is hit with a NVFL?

Edited by Stradic

I agree with others -1 from me this whole leader things causes more harm than any good it could do

1 hour ago, Beni said:

I don't like that in the slightest. Like what if a group has no leader? It's ran more like a council? We can't do that now? 

Like say when I had The Hounds up, I was playing a 15 year old kid. I wasn't the leader IC for that reason. I had the thread though. 

All groups have some kind of leader. Otherwise they wouldn't be groups or approved.

1 hour ago, Hollows said:

Question about this statement: So, if the Leader drops the group and for RP reasons eventually comes back or returns on a new character, this new rule will bar them from ever joining the group again? Did I misread that, or? I understand where you are coming from with everything else, but this confuses me. 

That's correct, if you as a leader give up on a group, you may not rejoin it later. This is to prevent abuse and shuffling leadership of group in between a pack of friends that we've seen in the past year.

1 hour ago, MR Pussywhipped said:

Like a few others here, I don't understand the need for an IC group leader?

Maybe someone can address why thay is helpful, I might be missing something?

On an OOC level, sure absolutely one group leader that will help with "council"/represent the group, makes sense.  But forcing someone to be the IC in game seems like a strange decision.

Like I said maybe I'm missing something, hopefully @Roland or another staff member can elaborate a bit.

See above.

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

What happens then if the character that holds the page isn't the leader of the group but someone who keeps the thread clean and looking good? will the group get archived?

Yes.

1 hour ago, MRS Bradtica said:

The group leader thing IG and out of game is super gross.

I also just don't really see the benefit either? I mean I understand out of game, having someone represent a member of the "council"... But apart from that? The IG leadership thing is pretty meh. Feels like people are gonna get pigeonholed into an RP style even if it doesn't suit the group or character. 

The benefit is that I always know whom to contact about group related issues, whether they may be IC or OOC and there will be no excuses like "but X handles IC stuff, I only update the thread". I can't have an address book for each group because groups choose to have 3 different leaders depending on whether it is about IC, OOC or thread. A leader is a leader for everything group related, period.

1 hour ago, Peril said:

I really don't understand the need for the distinction of leadership in game, especially in the sense of requiring the in-character leader to run the out-of-character forum post.  You could argue about cases of the in-character leader not having the time or knowledge to manage the thread, or cases of groups with councils of leader, so on and so forth, all day long, but overall: what's the point of this?  It just seems like a pointless and forced thing to worry about, much less have a rule about.

The point is to have a single person contact for the group for both IC and OOC things, plus the council membership and to prevent abuse involved in group leadership switching.

41 minutes ago, OldSchoolOG said:

I don't understand the need for these changes nor do I see a clear explanation for them. Sometimes it's easier to have one person who is more knowledgeable in graphic design be owner of the thread so that it's easier to update, and that person is not always the leader. Furthermore, forcing that person to be the IC leader feel quite unnecessary. If the reasoning is because there is some kind of abuse or grey area, it would be nice to know because this seems like something that is seen only from the staff side and probably not very obvious to members.

Graphic design is none of our concern, groups consisting of pure text have the same chance of being accepted as those with awesome graphics. Graphics are not a requirement for group approval. The rule is to make groups actually select a leader that can be held responsible for the group both IC and OOC and can be easily contacted about IC or OOC related issued, including council matters. Abuse involved was only for "group holding" which what this change also resolves.

19 minutes ago, Roland said:

That's correct, if you as a leader give up on a group, you may not rejoin it later. This is to prevent abuse and shuffling leadership of group in between a pack of friends that we've seen in the past year.

So you're making a new rule that punishes everyone because a few members abused groups rules? Seems like a road that's been walked before and lead nowhere fast. A better way to go about this would be MAYBE to deal with the actual members abusing the rules? I don't know... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by OldSchoolOG

define inactive

Don't know why the leader thing is being made such a big deal. It's too avoid people from dropping a group then making a new one every other week / month.

6 hours ago, Roland said:

Staff will no longer take requests to change ownership of a group.

What if an IC reason causes the Leader to sped down as the head officer and comes down to have someone the leader. This section of the Rule prevents this sort of Internal Rp

So to clarify.... does the leader of the group have to announce or act like the leader in game now? What about groups that want their leadership to be hidden IC? Groups that don't really have a hierarchical leadership role where people are thought as equals? Like, can't it just be whoever makes the thread is now known solely as the leader of the group OOC'ly and that technically they are an IC leader as well, even if not shown, that any and all actions or contact with the group will fall onto them.

8 hours ago, Zero said:

Don't know why the leader thing is being made such a big deal. It's too avoid people from dropping a group then making a new one every other week / month.

They're talking about the group page owner being forced into the ic role not the time.

Why is there such a focus on the leadership role? Does that affect the overall RP experience of the group?

Seems like a small problem being turned into something massive for no reason.

Edited by Eagle

What would happen if the group was a democracy of sorts, and the characters chose to change the leadership role between them, would the thread change hands each time?

Also, if the group was a council of sorts and had no IC leader, how would that work?

-1 not a fan of this change.

This appears to be far from any focus on the dynamic process of role playing.