Server time: 2019-04-20, 17:20
The Nikitin Prodejna - Trade Post Event
TODAY | 2019-04-21 17:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 23 hours, 39 minutes | Chernogorsk Docks | Peaceful
Sign in to follow this  
SquidProQuo

Crowdfund Pool to Buy Mod Rights

Mod Rights Donation Pool  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There have been a lot of suggestions to add mods from other developers to the DayZRP mod we run on the server. From my understanding, we can't add mods from other developers because of copyright issues or something of the sort. Considering the investment many people are willing to make to this server between donations and purchasing cosmetic items, I thought we could start a pool of donations to purchase the rights to other mods from mod developers outside the community so we could use them. We could vote on what mods we would prioritize to get first or something. This would be a public donation pool specifically for this reason so it wouldn't be using money DayZRP makes from donations and cosmetic items.

I'm not sure how this wold work legally and I'm sure there could be problems with actually implementing this. My post is just to ask the community if they think this is an idea worth looking in to and if they would donate to a pool we used to purchase mod rights so we could incorporate outsider mods in to DayZRP. 

I already have plenty of money from Premium and item shop to purchase licenses and what not. Money is not the issue.

A lot of modders just don't want to take my money, because:

• Their code is licensed in a way that doesn't allow for commercial use
  • They do not like our monetization system or community leadership and thus don't want us to use their mods, regardless of money involved

15 minutes ago, Roland said:

• They do not like our monetization system or community leadership and thus don't want us to use their mods, regardless of money involved

It really do be like that sometimes

It's not really a hate for roleplay servers.

Mod creators just don't really want their shit to be monetized.

I'm more than happy with our in-house dev team, and don't believe we need to go past them, especially paying people while doing so, to get more mods for the community.

I don't think licensing mods is the way to go. Maybe if we paid a certain percentage of donations to our devs on a monthly basis based on work done then it might increase the amount of time spent on developing or even pull people towards being a developer for the community which is probably the easiest way to go. There was discussion on paying staff once upon a time. Perhaps it's time that discussion be had again.

Edited by Zero

37 minutes ago, Zero said:

I don't think licensing mods is the way to go. Maybe if we paid a certain percentage of donations to our devs on a monthly basis based on work done then it might increase the amount of time spent on developing or even pull people towards being a developer for the community which is probably the easiest way to go. There was discussion on paying staff once upon a time. Perhaps it's time that discussion be had again.

Paid staff you say? Lemme just dig up my old app...

In all seriousness though,
I'd think this is pretty reasonable. Not everyone needs to donate obviously, but if that'd be possible to assist in development, I figure that'd be at least a mild intensive. Granted I think the priority should be figuring out how to implement custom animations. Then again I think that's out of our hands... Correct me if I am wrong.

I am all for upping our mods to improve them game. The quality of life needs some serious improvement. That's all I know for certain.

Here's the thing. Making any of this shit ain't easy. It more often than not requires folk who went and got a university education and when they show case their work, its through the hope of getting noticed for repeated work. There's a great deal of skill, technique and I am going to say ability rather than talent which goes into the finished product. Modelling within a respectable poly count so you don't break games means that for detail you need to go down the road of displacement/normal maps, usually created through sculpting which is a whole other thing entirely. Then there's textures on top of properties for reflection, opacity, material and I could go on. Modelling itself is a fine time consuming art and god forbid it's something that requires partial effects (gun goes bang) or animation in general, which means you have to rig shit into the bargain and script it to sync with player control. And of course there's a difference between organic and non organic models, which are two completely different ways to model and animate, organic requiring weight painting... I could go on but the point is it takes great effort and work to make these creations... YOUR creations and the minute you sell them, you lose the rights to them. No artist wants to see their work used in an environment they disagree with because they 'sold out'... what they want is consistent work to make a living since most people seem to think multi media skilled artists are happy to be paid in exposure for something that took them many many years and thousands of hours to get skilled in... to which many, myself included say 'fuck that'.

You can't live on donations and the work put into this is quite literally time wise a real job, a highly skilled 'job'. If some artists are happy and willing to work for free, then all the power to them, but the rest of us think you'd have to be insane. A lot of these artists have been used and abused to the point of complete distrust and will settle for nothing less than contractual work so they don't get screwed. I can't even blame them... I am one of them.

If you're a plumber, electrician, joiner... literally any profession out there, would you work on donations? 

Edited by Tony