Server time (UTC): 2019-08-20, 23:36
Sign in to follow this  
Keisenberg

Increase Thirst and Hunger Rates.

The rates feel too slow in my opinion. I don't have to eat a lot and I don't feel that it is hard to find a lot of food. I don't have to worry about food and one of the most important aspect of survival is rationing when the food is rare.

Needing to eat more would give a chance to hunt, farm, loot for food and trade more often too.

Same for the thirst even though it's not so bad.

Big -1 from me.

As someone who travels half the map on the daily, sprinting for part of it, I'm constantly snacking and drinking. I don't feel like I'd be hungry five minutes after eating a steak, potato, and a full pumpkin, but I am. 

Hunger feels to slow, thirst feels reasonable for sure. I have to think about movement when I dont have water or enough supplies, but I ALWAYS find myself with an overabundance of food and literally never need to use half of it.

I think it has been discussed earlier, but the spawning rate of canned food, zombie drop rates of food are really cutting down the possibility RP as a hunter/gatherer/trader.   Or to trade any food as everyone has tons of food.   

I'm kinda hoping they get fishing back soon, to make that viable too. 

But as far as this post goes, I think the rates are alright'ish for now, imo.  If it's tuned too much, it might become a constant starve fest and cut down RP.  Like I said above, I think it's best to make food rarer and make hunting and gathering flourish vs making the meters go down fast.

I must agree with @Xehara I run around a lot, and I am needing a snack or a drink a lot of the time.

Posted (edited)

I could be wrong but I think it is all dependant on your activity and how much you're carrying. I quite like the balance at the moment to be honest. The issue with SA is it is a walking/jogging simulator for a lot of people which has a big effect on the amount of drink and food that you need to consume.

I have struggled a couple of times (jogging too much to get somewhere) when my drink/food levels have been low in finding food but I think you need that 'panic' of needing to find some. I am much more aware of how much I should be jogging around, IRL you cannot run a marathon everyday etc. unless you're an elite athlete so I've forced my self to take rests and walk for longer periods of time instead of jogging. The current rates of needing drink/food dropping might be too low or high for some people depending on how you play.

As you know you cannot please everyone so for me it's a good middle ground at the moment. More activity = needing to consume more drink/food, kind of makes sense to me.

Edited by Samaritan

Forget that, just make food and drink less common so it's actually a survival game and not a glorified battle royale with hiking added in.

Big fat -1. 

You already lose thirst and hunger super quick. You must not be on the move much.

-1 from me as well. Making the game harder does not make it more fun.

This is still a game after all. The bohemia devs listened to a small vocal minority in the dayz community and made the game even more tedious than it should be already.

-1 for sure

I'm only saying this because you don't have a poll.

It's way to dependent to just arbitrarily change the food and water rate for everyone. I eat and drink way more than 3 times an ig day. This is from someone who traverses the map constantly. So it makes sense I gotta eat more than the usual, but I do travel light. 

3 hours ago, Major said:

make food and drink less common

I'm a fan of this over increasing the rates.  Increasing rates would just end up inflating the food economy; sure, you'd have to eat more, but the amount of food currently on the map easily counteracts that.  Decreasing food spawn but leaving the rates the same would make you worry a reasonable amount about where your next meal comes from without hindering QoL too much.

No you need to drink and eat all the time

U get hungry and thirsty to fast

3 hours ago, Major said:

Forget that, just make food and drink less common so it's actually a survival game and not a glorified battle royale with hiking added in.

Honestly, this. I'd much rather have food be rare, but have to eat less than have food be common, but having to eat a lot more. This way I won't have to eat and drink every 15 minutes, but food and drinks would still be something to worry about.

I'd also like to see food deplete slower but have food more rare,

Can't remember the last time I got robbed for some food and water.

Food is in a mad abundance right now yes, kill a pack of zombies and your inventory will be stocked with cans and drinks, I think food and drink decreases at an already sufficient rate, I'll have to agree with @Major on this one

have to say i think the rates thet it goes down is fine but i do think the food spawning needs to be decreased

I'd rather not have things go back to the pre-beta experimental patches where i can starve to death travelling between towns.

In other words, i run around a lot and I'd rather not have to be constantly eating / hydrating. Make food a lil rarer, sure, but I personally think the spawn rates on zombies should be lowered whereas the spawn rates in buildings should be increased. Rn the only way I find food properly is to walk into a city, fire a shot and gas every infected that comes towards me. Guaranteed a full meal plus food for the whole session of RP if i want to carry it. 

Its a -1 from me.

But I DO support the idea of making canned food in general much harder to find. 
We shouldnt have to eat more often, just look harder or actually put effort into hunting and farming.

-1 if anything they should be slightly decreased seeing as i can run up and down the NWAF then scoff down a can of bacon.

Yeah as a wolf myself, we boys tend to run a lot and it does take a lot of food and especially drink. As people said above if we could decrease food spawn rates like canned foods and force people to hunt more maybe that would equalize the situation. 

For me, it sometimes does feel like a simulator where you have to keep your obese character happy with meals constantly. It doesn't make sense that you are this hungry/thirsty 24/7.
It would be nice if we could change it, so you wont be as hungry/thirsty constantly.

7 hours ago, duxpredator said:

Yeah as a wolf myself, we boys tend to run a lot and it does take a lot of food and especially drink. As people said above if we could decrease food spawn rates like canned foods and force people to hunt more maybe that would equalize the situation. 

This will already happen with the new update coming 

That's gonna be a big -1 from me homie. Thirst is too fast as is to be fair. I'm not gonna die from dehydration in real life after sprinting for 10 minutes straight. Hunger is fine where it is.

In my opinion it's fast enough already. 

It's a good aspect for RP but can take away from it if you're all of a sudden on red and need to scavenge.

Hunting and farming is already somewhat challenging/fun/useful.  I iust don't think it needs yo be changed up.

-1 for me. My character stays hungry and thirsty already no need to make it faster.