Server time (UTC): 2019-08-23, 10:06
Sign in to follow this  
Pontiff

Looking for someone with knowledge of the Eastern Orthodox faith.

Hello there,

my most recent character is an Eastern Orthodox deacon and while I feel that my research on the matter has been thorough enough on most theoretical/theological aspects of the religion, I still lack knowledge about the day to day practices and rituals that one might witness in a country like Chernarus. If you happen to know more about that, by either practising the religion yourself or living in a country where it is prevalent, I'd be honoured to have a chance to share your knowledge. If you'd rather these informations remain private, you are more than welcome to send me a private message instead.

Thank you.

Posted (edited)

Hey I read up on the topic while having the idea of making a chernarussian guy who was involved in community services. I did not want him to be a professional but more of a witness of certain things while being raised in Chernarus along with the most common religion there. This is what I used for planning to rp the character, ofc it depends on what you are looking for. As a deacon you need to have way more information. All from google search nothing more or less.

https://www.patheos.com/library/eastern-orthodoxy/ritual-worship-devotion-symbolism

They stand during divine service.

They pray next to big pictures of their idols most of the time framed in gold.

They use incense.

Spoiler

god bless - Buh vám žehnej

Sins - hríchy

enlightenment - osveta

incense- kadidlo

divine service - bohoslužb

mass  - mše 

Our Father, who art in heaven, - Otce náš, jenž jsi v nebesích,

Hallowed be thy Name. - Posvet se jméno tvé.

Thy kingdom come. - Prijd' království tvé,

Thy will be done, - Bud' vule tvá,

On earth as it is in heaven. - Jako v nebi, tak i na zemi.

Give us this day our daily bread.- Chléb náš vezdejší dej nám dnes,

And forgive us our trespasses, -A otpust nám naše viny,

As we forgive those who trespass against us. -Jakož i my odpouštíme naším vinníkum.

And lead us not into temptation, -A neuvod' nás v pokušení,

But deliver us from evil. -Ale zbav nás od zlého. 

Not much but maybe it helps out 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Ron

8 minutes ago, Ron said:

-SNIP-

Hey @Ron, I have taken a look at that kind website already but thanks for bringing these points up! I'm more looking for tiny details now, like how people interact with each other in the setting of religious worship, what honorific they use, how they go about certain things.

Posted (edited)

@Pontiff

-snip-

Just saw the post above. When you refer to honorifics do you mean such things like refering to mary for the catholics, and such?

Edited by OnusOcean

18 minutes ago, Pontiff said:

like how people interact with each other in the setting of religious worship

Most of the people that go to the church are usually older folk that want to talk about the latest rumours in the town and what their neighbour did that pissed them off. But yeah other than that people either sit down on their knees or just stand on their feet while the priests are singing some religious stuff.

15 minutes ago, OnusOcean said:

@Pontiff

-snip-

Just saw the post above. When you refer to honorifics do you mean such things like refering to mary for the catholics, and such?

I meant honorifics as to how you call a priest or how a priest calls you for example (like "Father" and "Son" for the Catholics).

9 minutes ago, AndreyQ said:

Most of the people that go to the church are usually older folk that want to talk about the latest rumours in the town and what their neighbour did that pissed them off. But yeah other than that people either sit down on their knees or just stand on their feet while the priests are singing some religious stuff.

Appreciate the input mate!

2 minutes ago, Pontiff said:

I meant honorifics as to how you call a priest or how a priest calls you

People are basically calling the priest "Father". The priest would probably address to the kids or younger people as "Son" or "Son of God" and the rest by their actual names. Chernarus is a rural country with small towns so the priest would probably know all the people in the town and especially those that are actively coming to church.

I got you, hmu in discord and I can point you to a guy who is from the faith and knows it well